Urgent! How do I know if

Urgent! How do I know if a property can be subdivided

I've come across a property that I will be inspecting tomorrow. The property is a weatherboard 2brm + study on a 690m2 block. Somehow on domain.com.au I was able find out that it was sold back in OCT 08 for around 250-260k. The vendor claims it is currently rented for 1170 p/mth and I think I may be able to get it below the sold price back in oct.

My suspicions tell me that the vendor may need to get rid of the property for some urgent reason - maybe cannot use the land for what he/she intended (i.e subdivision etc). If there is no subdivision possibilities for the future I probably wont touch it.

My question is what/where do I need to look for to find out if the property can be subdivided etc. I know I need to check easements in the sec 32 but I dont know much else. What do I need to find out? Where can I find this out? Is it possible to get a definate answer before actually attempting the subdivition?

I don't really know much about this subject but recogize the opportunity to drive a hard bargan under the circumstances and possibility to make $$$ in the future with the subdivision. Please help!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks in advance guys!!

Last edited:
The easiest way would be to ask the council. They would have all the answers and it would be free to do.

One thing though, the block you are asking about may be too small to subdivide. I say this as some councils place restrictions on the minimum size of a block that can be subdivided and your 690 sq metre block may be one such block.

g

Definitely council...one stop shop. SOMETIMES, there are companies that do this on your behalf who already know the council rules for the area...I forgot their name, but there is definitely one up here in North QLD. They make sure you get the division though...:)

Agreed with g and Andy, Definitely council. Each council has it own local rules even within the council. I know in Melb for the 2 councils we know: city of booroondara rule (ppor) is different from city of yarra (IP).
Good luck.
Cheers, Tracey

a friend of mine did a contract with a 'subject to council approval for subdivision' clause, at shorncliffe, brisbane. I don't know the actual clause wording but it worked and he got the property and subdivision thru.

I was just checking out his buy when he said the price, I couldn't believe he could have got it so cheap. It turns out each previous person had called council and was told it couldn't be split, so he just put the clause in and sent in the paperwork and it was approved :eek: It was a bargain price and he has now built on both and sold them and is looking for the next opportunity.
Just goes to show some ppl know ways around the traps and the rest just accept a 'no' without looking into alternatives.

As the others said, get to council, get them to print off the maps and see where the sewers are, stormwaters, anything underground that may affect you and also if someone has already done it in the area, preferably in the street. And how you'll get power to the block.

Also have a look at the other houses around to see if theres anything the neighbours might object to with what your thinking of building, you don't want an objection from them tying your project up for months. I was worried about this one with my side neighbour as we hate each other but a house was split up our street and the council said that helps and he couldn't just object without a valid reason. Surprisingly he hasn't said a word at all.

As the others said, get to council, get them to print off the maps and see where the sewers are, stormwaters, anything underground that may affect you and also if someone has already done it in the area, preferably in the street. And how you'll get power to the block.

It's been done next door and also a few houses down so I take it this is a good sign. I will be checking with the council next week anyhow.

I went past the prop for the OFI today and there was no FS sign or agent or anyone there at all!!:confused::confused::confused: Have to call the agent!

Back