What do i need to know to be able to subdivide and how can i find it?

Just been looking at the city of swan intramaps

It says
Drainage plane: None
Pit type: none
pipe type: none

What does that mean?

What questions should i be asking the council?

That might mean that the block/area is still on septic tanks and not reticulated sewerage.

If you were to look at 26 Meechin Way on Swan Intramaps (I have randomly chosen this, it is not developable). You will see a sewer line running down the driveway AND inside the back fence. This is one of the least desirable types of blocks having 2 sewer lines within it's boundaries. Its adjacent neighbour at 18 Wroy St connects to the sewer lines on the Meechin driveway so 18 Wroy St is a much better block as it has more options on being able to build to boundary etc.

I don't trust sewerage maps on Intramaps though. I would always double check them with Dial Before you Dig who will get you the proper map from the Water Corp which is much more detailed and scaled.

That might mean that the block/area is still on septic tanks and not reticulated sewerage.

If you were to look at 26 Meechin Way on Swan Intramaps (I have randomly chosen this, it is not developable). You will see a sewer line running down the driveway AND inside the back fence. This is one of the least desirable types of blocks having 2 sewer lines within it's boundaries. Its adjacent neighbour at 18 Wroy St connects to the sewer lines on the Meechin driveway so 18 Wroy St is a much better block as it has more options on being able to build to boundary etc.

I don't trust sewerage maps on Intramaps though. I would always double check them with Dial Before you Dig who will get you the proper map from the Water Corp which is much more detailed and scaled.
So you want a sewer line close but not to close (ie in yard)?

So you want a sewer line close but not to close (ie in yard)?

Correct. If you want to build within about 1-2m of a sewer line you need to put concrete piling next to the sewer line so that when/if they ever need to dig it up to fix it, your house is ok and stable. This costs a few thousand so best to avoid if you can.

Sometimes though it doesn't really matter and you can work around it but 2 within the boundaries it's not so easy. And sometimes it's 5m in from the boundary. I have a block where this is the case - I knew going in and worked around it but it's not easy

The REA after asking the question has said: The carport/garage is shared with the neighbour. Like the centre poles sit in the middle of the 2 properties. Thoughts?

Looking for potential subdivision down the track but this could hinder

Possible cost related to that?

$1362 for the dome for a two lot subdivision put in western powers prefered spot. Then run in of underground power to each property. Looking at 1k-2k for each property depending on distance and if boards need to be upgraded etc.

Can anyone tell me what the driveway width for subdivision or having 3 unit/villas on the property is?

And is there a certain distance it needs to be from the actual houses/building?

R40/R60 city of swan? I cant find it anywhere

Can anyone tell me what the driveway width for subdivision or having 3 unit/villas on the property is?

Keep reading those r-codes.

Page 28 5.3.5 vehicular access.

Rcodes mate. 3 to 4m width, and I think an extra .5m from the boundary.

1- R-codes 3.1
2- Town planning schemes for the council of target
3- SS- ask those who know
4- Pay a profesional ie buyers agent or developer

Thats about it.

All the above plus:

I'm not sure if dial before you dig is a nationwide database system but we always order the sewer, water plans etc from them to ensure the connection points are not too far away because that could potentially cost big $$ that you wouldn't have otherwise factored/allowed for.

A site we're developing at the moment is in a normal residential area but due to the number of homes we're putting on the site, its requiring a power upgrade to cope with the future power demands from the residents....this is costing us a tidy $180K so things like this could cost big $$ and seriously affect your margins.

Read, re-read, ring and ring again and speak to several different planners at the council and confirm what they're telling you by looking it up in the development plan yourself. The number of times they've told us the wrong thing argghhhhhh :mad:

Do you have a link.

Ive only ever looked at page 58 by itself as i saw it posted on SS.

Thanks i want to understand it for myself.

You have to read the whole document z6. It's the only way to learn not just pages by themselves

Here is the whole document

http://planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_pdf/State_Planning_Policy_3_1-Residential_Design_Codes_Print.pdf

also read the Explanatory Guidelines as they are helpful too
http://planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_p...odes-Explanatory_GuidelinesPrint_version2.pdf

You have to read the whole document z6. It's the only way to learn not just pages by themselves

Here is the whole document

http://planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_pdf/State_Planning_Policy_3_1-Residential_Design_Codes_Print.pdf

also read the Explanatory Guidelines as they are helpful too
http://planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_p...odes-Explanatory_GuidelinesPrint_version2.pdf
For vehicle access for a subdivision or strata (incl survey strata) you will definitely want to read Development Control Policy 1.3 Strata Titles
http://www.planning.wa.gov.au/publications/795.asp
and Development Control Policy 2.2 Residential Subdivision
http://www.planning.wa.gov.au/publications/803.asp
Here is what DC 2.2 says:
- battleaxe: 4 metres
- strata lots (including survey-stratas with access via common property) to be provided with driveways of 4m width, or 3m width where necessary to retain an existing dwelling.
There is more. If you are looking to subdivide or strata, you should definitely read all of DC 1.3 and DC 2.2. If you are looking to develop, then read the whole R-Codes cover to cover and the explanatory guidelines cover to cover.

So this property im looking at has roughly 3.2m-3.3m between house and side boundary.

One says 3m is adequate when trying to attain existence of existing dwelling.

Whereas another states 3m minimum but also 0.5m each side(side boundary) meaning 4m minimum.

Conflicting information?

This is becoming quite frustrating.

Basically this property has a current carport/garage which is 3.2-3.3m wide and is attatched to a party wall between two properties. Basically all I want to do is remove the roof on my side of the property. Turn it into a driveway than put the carport/garage built behind the existing property.

Then look for potential subdivision behind that property by using the current garage/carport that im wanting to turn into a driveway.

I may be getting a building inspection for the property to see if removal of the garage roof is attainable to council requirements ect and if this can then be used for a driveway of 3m in this short period of the driveway.

Thanks for the help above
Z6

The 'conflicting' requirements come from different policies: policies for subdivision/strata of land (DC 1.3 and DC 2.2) and policies for development control (the R-Codes). It is also the difference between an access leg (which is the space for the driveway) and the driveway itself, which is part of the development of the land within the access leg.

You would be able to have a three metre access leg for survey strata with common property or strata where there is an existing dwelling to be retained.

If you want a subdivision or survey strata without common property, for a block behind a house, you need 4 metres.

Don't get frustrated. Most people I talk to don't get it. Even some councils. It just takes time to work through the policies and work out what is subdivision and what is development and what rules apply to each.

Great post BTW.

Looking on the DBYD website, you select a ring around the property and input what works you intend to carry out ie... Add another bedroom, car port, sub ect... and they will send you the relevant map - If you have an account?

So this property im looking at has roughly 3.2m-3.3m between house and side boundary.

One says 3m is adequate when trying to attain existence of existing dwelling.

Whereas another states 3m minimum but also 0.5m each side(side boundary) meaning 4m minimum.

Conflicting information?

This is becoming quite frustrating.

Basically this property has a current carport/garage which is 3.2-3.3m wide and is attatched to a party wall between two properties. Basically all I want to do is remove the roof on my side of the property. Turn it into a driveway than put the carport/garage built behind the existing property.

Then look for potential subdivision behind that property by using the current garage/carport that im wanting to turn into a driveway.

I may be getting a building inspection for the property to see if removal of the garage roof is attainable to council requirements ect and if this can then be used for a driveway of 3m in this short period of the driveway.

Thanks for the help above
Z6

Z6

To retain a building your allowed a 3m driveway which can not be closer than 0.5m to the side boundary so effectivley 3.5m. And keep in mind this is to the furtherest most part of the house ie gutters, eaves etc not the side of the house.

Green title or new development you need 4m plus 0.5m.

Not sure but some councils may relax the 0.5m so 3m might be enough.

Best to talk to council or get formal written advice from council before committing to the purchase. Insert a dd clause for one or two weeks in your contract/offer so you have time to check it all out.

Hope this helps.

Back