US house owner kills herself after being foreclosed.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/ow...ter-foreclosure/2008/07/24/1216492606174.htmlFunny how the police wouldn't release the name of the lender.
Might make Joe Public think twice about bank profits and ethics.
Rightly so that the lender's name wasn't released. This is a great tragedy for the family, but the fact that she suicided due to mortgage stress should in no way reflect on the lender, unless the lender engaged in unethical conduct. And I don't yet see any indication that the lender did anything except engage in standard foreclosure procedure, which given that she hadn't paid the mortgage for 3 1/2 years, isn't unreasonable.

Unfortunately too many people would condemn the bank purely on the basis that the lady committed suicide, without further details.

Sounds like there is more to this story. Surely the fact that a wife intercepts all correspondence about overdue and impending foreclosure for that period of time, to conceal it from her family sounds like a symptom of a much bigger issue IMO.

He said his wife had been intercepting letters from the mortgage company and shredding them without his knowledge. He had no idea she hadn't paid the mortgage in 42 months.

So I wonder what she was doing with the money that he thought was going toward the mortgage payments

Like Buzz says - it sounds fishy even though it's a tragedy

So I wonder what she was doing with the money that he thought was going toward the mortgage payments

Like Buzz says - it sounds fishy even though it's a tragedy

Agreed. I suppose I was just commenting on the sadness of suicide in general.

Phil

I agree 3.5 years of non payment is unacceptable.
She may very well have been manipulating things to improve her chances of being categorized bankrupt. She had three attempts at it I think.

Nevertheless, it is sad and the journos might have made things clearer in the story.

Definitely some critical details left out. The husband had no clue but had numerous time filed for bankruptcy? I didn't appreciate that bankrupcy needed to be approved as such.

it's VERY VERY difficult to apply for bankruptcy in the US - hence why such a long. drawn out procedure.

the bank prob can't foreclose during bankruptcy proceedings, so the fact it was tried numerous times means she's either trying to wipe the debt and keep the house or stave off the bank for as long as possible.

after 3.5y though, with no recourse, chances are you would owe more than the house is worth AGAIN dude to compounding payments and interest.

sad story though.

Back