Vermiculite ceiling removal

Hey all,

Am considering putting an offer on a unit with one of those ugly popcorn ceilings (also known as vermiculite). The unit was built in the 70's and there's a fair chance that the vermiculite has asbestos and will require professional removal. Have called the asbestos removers nearby and none will give me a ballpark figure for what I could be expecting cost and time wise without seeing the place. Had thought they would quote on unit size (is approximately 55sqm) but I guess they work on a different system.

As this will be my first purchase I don't feel comfortable making an offer which doesn't cover the vermiculite removal costs (which I hear can be quite expensive). Has anyone had to go through this before? How much did it cost to remove the thing and how long did it take? What did you put in its place? Any things I should look out for if I choose to go this path? Is it even worth removing?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Not sure what vermiculite actually looks like, but can you get a plasterer to put a "skin" over the top to make smooth ceilings without removing anything?

Not sure what vermiculite actually looks like, but can you get a plasterer to put a "skin" over the top to make smooth ceilings without removing anything?

This is what I have recently done with the property I just purchased.
For around $1000, you can have a suspended ceiling installed to cover it up.
The only problem with this, is that the original ceiling has to be fairly high to start with (normal height is 2400mm, and you'll need at least an extra +100mm for the suspended ceiling to fit).

Hey all,

Am considering putting an offer on a unit with one of those ugly popcorn ceilings (also known as vermiculite). The unit was built in the 70's and there's a fair chance that the vermiculite has asbestos and will require professional removal. Have called the asbestos removers nearby and none will give me a ballpark figure for what I could be expecting cost and time wise without seeing the place. Had thought they would quote on unit size (is approximately 55sqm) but I guess they work on a different system.

Any things I should look out for if I choose to go this path? Is it even worth removing?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
I would just leave it the way it is,and price -up for a suspended drop in ceiling as S-C has already mentioned would be the way to go,also use this asbestos issue to your advantage.. I used to watch the poor *******s
spray this crap on the ceiling on high rise building sites imho it's very dangerous gear,as long as it set and sealed -painted ,but once you start to play with the surface it all falls apart..willair..IMHO..

Thanks for the info guys. I don't think there'll be enough room for a suspended ceiling (from memory the agent mentioned the height as 2100mm). Worst case I could leave it in place (some people might not know or care what it is) and I will use it as a bargaining chip to drive down the price.

Is there a real connection between vermiculite and asbestos? In the depths of my addled brain I connect vermiculite with poly-styrene.

I just did a google search of "vermiculite ceiling" and clicked "images" and there is plenty of information on it, particularly about the asbestos issue, and what to look for to see if it has asbestos in it.

I still don't see why you cannot skim it rather than install a suspended ceiling. Is that possible, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Chops, I don't think the Strata Plan would allow you to remove it anyway It wasn't sprayed on because it looked nice, it was applied as a fire retardent. We recently bought an IP with it and gave it a fresh coat of paint. You'll be amazed at how much better it looks afterwards.

Are you buying it to rent out or to live in yourself? I think putting in a false ceiling would not gain a significant return to you but if you are going to live in it then what price hapiness??

SuiCid3, what sized area did you get done for $1000?

Andrew

Andrew,

Rough area was around 55sqm?
It was actually only around $620 for all the necessary material, and the extra ~$400 was the cost of paint and beer, cigarettes and lunch payments to my mate that helped me. :)

Chops, I don't think the Strata Plan would allow you to remove it anyway It wasn't sprayed on because it looked nice, it was applied as a fire retardent. We recently bought an IP with it and gave it a fresh coat of paint. You'll be amazed at how much better it looks afterwards.

Are you buying it to rent out or to live in yourself? I think putting in a false ceiling would not gain a significant return to you but if you are going to live in it then what price hapiness??

Good point, might need to ask the strata managers whether it can be removed. The real estate agents I spoke to mentioned that "people usually just scrape it off" (indicating that it can and has been removed in some of the units). Only problem is that if there's asbestos in the vermiculite and you're not qualified to remove it, you could release fibres into the air and I believe its against the law without qualifications.

Maybe a new paint job will do the trick. I'm guessing you used a spray gun to apply the paint? what colour did you go for and how much did it roughly set you back? no issues with painting according to strata?

Also this will be an investment purchase. If I was living in it I probably would have kept looking for something else.

Thanks all.

Maybe a new paint job will do the trick. I'm guessing you used a spray gun to apply the paint? what colour did you go for and how much did it roughly set you back? no issues with painting according to strata?

We have an investment unit with this type of ceiling. I've painted over it with Taubmans 3 in 1 and then ordinary ceiling white. Used a brush for cutting in and a roller and it covered surprisingly easily. A little more time consuming than a flat ceiling but it looks great now (and more interesting than a flat ceiling).

Cheers

Suicide, that's a great price for the work. They are the great mates to have.

Chops, I did the same as Bernly (ceiling white for the colour). These ceiling take a fair bit more paint than a flat ceiling as well so take note of that so you don't run out of paint and get caught out.

If you can get a suspended ceiling for $1000 then I think that would be money well spent.

Gools

Suicide, that's a great price for the work. They are the great mates to have.

Gools

He is one of my best mates, I owe him more than I gave him.
Gonna get him something worth his while later down the track. :)
So far he has helped me save over $4000!

Back