Vertical or horizontal blinds?

Hi guys,

I am interested in your views as to what blinds to go for?

I am busy working on a rental property in Western Sydney and plan to put in blinds for the tenants.

I remember as a kid having Vertical blinds, and i remeber how flimsey they were and how often they broke and how the blinds misaligned. They are were terrible things!

I havent had much experience with horizontal blinds either, so they might have their own issues?

Do you guys have any preference?

Also, is it advisable to put the blinds inside the window frame or on the top face of the window frame?

Look forward to hearing you ideas.

Regards,
Robbie

After reading your other post Robbie I'd opt for steel bars :)

I recently purchased cheap, vertical blinds from overseas (ordered online) in our recent property. They look good, were custom made to size and the price was very reasonable.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie

Hahaha, it did cross my mind lol

I guess once you have the rail fitted, if the blinds do damage down the line, you can always replace the vertical blinds and a reasonable cost.

Did you put them inside the window frame?

I recently purchased cheap, vertical blinds from overseas (ordered online) in our recent property. They look good, were custom made to size and the price was very reasonable.

Cheers

Jamie
Hey Jamie...........Were they much cheaper than from Aussie sites?
Do they do other types such as venetian?

Oh god I hate vertical blinds, always breaking!
I would go plain pull down blinds before vertical. Can get them cheap online too.

Hate vertical blinds with a passion. They look good initially but it doesn't take long before the mechanism starts stuffing up or the little beaded cord between the blinds at the bottom falls off or breaks. They're hard to keep clean too. Floor length horizontal blinds and children do not mix, it takes about 2 minutes for a kid to break a vertical blind.

I'd much rather curtains plus or minus a cheap roller blind and I think they're easier for tenants to look after. Mind you, roller blinds can't take much punishment either but at least they're cheap to replace.

Jamie M- Thanks for the link. Seriously considering fitting out the whole house with roller blinds. I've been checking out Spotlight. Even though I've got a $40 voucher when spending $100. They do look cheap and don't look like they would last long. Also checked out Bunnings which have a great range, reasonable (I guess) prices but a little more than I want to pay.
Thanks again.

After chatting to a few letting agents and the guys who install these blinds, all seem to recon i go with roller blinds over verticals or horizontals, especially in IPs.

Got a quote to have rollers installed in lounge, 3 bedrooms and the kitchen.. i think 10 blinds in total, for $1000.

Not sure if its worth it?

After chatting to a few letting agents and the guys who install these blinds, all seem to recon i go with roller blinds over verticals or horizontals, especially in IPs.

Got a quote to have rollers installed in lounge, 3 bedrooms and the kitchen.. i think 10 blinds in total, for $1000.

Not sure if its worth it?

Seems pretty cheap to me...

Cheers

Jamie

As the cleaner of the house - horizontals are a ******* to keep clean and they build up grime and dust very easily.

I'd personally go curtains on the sliding doors (if there are any) - and rollers on the windows.

Thanks.. with rollers though, which a forum member brought to my attention, is that its an all or nothing way. i.e. you either let all the light in or none, whereas verticals give you an option to adjusts the amount of light coming in.

If its for a rental I'd be more concerned with the verticals breaking than the tenants needing to lift or drop down a roller blind for more or less light. When those things break they don't keep any light out.
If you are concerned you could also put curtain rods up so the tenant can provide their own curtains too if they wish.

You can get virticals without the chain. I don't see how people think they are easily damaged. My new ones are easy glide open. No chain to pull them closed or open. I think they are a great, easy, cheap option for a rental.
Hate holland blinsds.
When they are doewn it looks like you have a sheet of plastic on the window.

Plastic vertical - No chairs, industrial strength, eay to clean, no weights, cut to length, easy to install, attractive, no maintenance.

Available from Super A-Mart until Feb 2012 and have now disappeared - I'm chasing for new supplier.....

Back