Vic speeding fine - don't give a stuff ?

The main problem with speed limits, and why I think people feel justified breaking them, is because even if you're an experienced driver, driving a brand new car on brand new tyres on a sunny day, the limits have to assume that you're actually a P-plater driving an old car on bald tyres in the rain.

it's not
i've received fines from camera for doing less than 9km over the limit

Strannik, I hate to be a stickler, but I see these cameras very close up on a regular basis. I'm not having a dig at you, but just trying to lay the correct answer on the table.

On the 01/01/2009 the speed camera tolerance was reduced from 11km/h over the limit to 10km/h. This has made a significant difference to the number of detections per speed camera deployment.

QLD has just finished a trial phase of unmarked speed cameras. Unmarked speed cameras are now being used as a regular enforcement strategy.

I'm old enough to be your grandfather Lil Skater, so I don't need your gratuitous advice, thank you.

I'm 31, and I don't either. I too cringed at Lil Skater's post, Sunfish.

Gee what a shining example for the young ones you two are.:eek: Lil was spot on, that if you actually do what the law says you do, then you will not have to worry about cameras or fines. Age has no bearing on safety. There are many d*ckhead older drivers as well as teenagers and I think we should be applauding those teens that are actually trying to do the right thing. Shame on you both for your bad attitude in this regard.

coming from someone that has said they are about to lose their licence, perhaps the advice was more a well learnt personal experience than a lecture.

No, Lil went out and got her licence as soon as she turned 17. She is a good driver and has not received any speeding fines. She only has 4 demerit points because she is still on P Plates, not because of being caught out doing the wrong thing.

I think we should be applauding those teens that are actually trying to do the right thing.

I agree, however in my opinion (and I've had this argument just recently on Somersoft), Lil was suggesting to do the legal thing, not necessarily the right thing.

If you have a heart attack at the wheel and roll off into the dirt you are classed as a road toll victim.

They don't do that in Qld. The very thing happened last week when a truck driver died at the wheel and ran into a building in the CBD of Brisbane. They specifically pointed out that he was not included in the road toll.

You would think they would apply a common definition nationally.

Lil is entitled to her opinions. As she ages she will learn that voicing those opinions gives the other party the right of reply. I exercised my right to inform her that I think she is impudent. It is that that I took exception to, not the motherly advice "to obey the law" which I can/will cheerfully ignore.

Strannik, I hate to be a stickler, but I see these cameras very close up on a regular basis. I'm not having a dig at you, but just trying to lay the correct answer on the table.

On the 01/01/2009 the speed camera tolerance was reduced from 11km/h over the limit to 10km/h. This has made a significant difference to the number of detections per speed camera deployment.

QLD has just finished a trial phase of unmarked speed cameras. Unmarked speed cameras are now being used as a regular enforcement strategy.

are we talking fixed cameras or mobile cameras?

Age has no bearing on safety
I think you'll find statistics disagree with that statement. For example, from this RTA document (PDF) from around 2004:

People under 26 comprise only 15% of driver licences but are involved in 36% of road fatalities.
Of course Lil Skater is right, one could stay under the speed limit and avoid speed fines, but that will likely make zero difference to road safety, and most people will treat such a statement the same as when strangers tell them they should let Jesus into their hearts.

GP

Lil is entitled to her opinions. As she ages she will learn that voicing those opinions gives the other party the right of reply. I exercised my right to inform her that I think she is impudent. It is that that I took exception to, not the motherly advice "to obey the law" which I can/will cheerfully ignore.

+1 Sunfish... well said

Cheers,
H

..Or if you just go the speed limit no need to worry about margins or fines :p

If that is the case, why are you suggesting doing this.... 4 demerit points only or not ?

You'd still have to pay the fine, i would pressume, and it's best to than getting chased down.

I heard that if you have an interstate licence you get fined, but you don't lose demerits. Which i am looking forward to greatly because it's too easy to lose your licence these days.

I think you'll find statistics disagree with that statement. For example, from this RTA document (PDF) from around 2004:

Of course Lil Skater is right, one could stay under the speed limit and avoid speed fines, but that will likely make zero difference to road safety, and most people will treat such a statement the same as when strangers tell them they should let Jesus into their hearts.

GP

What I meant by that statement was that being older, does not mean that you are a safer driver. I have seen many old enough to be her grandfather/mother with appalling skills behind the wheel.

Funny, growing up, I remember clearly the only time I was ever accused of being impudent or impertinent was by someone much older who did not like the fact that I was right and they were wrong.

She is entitled to her opinions, the same as you are entitled to yours. Just because she is significantly younger than you does not mean she is wrong. She is correct that you should obey the law, whether you agree with it or not, and I believe that you are quite wrong to stand up and declare to the world that you have no intention to do the same.

If that is the case, why are you suggesting doing this.... 4 demerit points only or not ?

I heard that if you have an interstate licence you get fined, but you don't lose demerits. Which i am looking forward to greatly because it's too easy to lose your licence these days.

I will answer to the best of my knowledge, since she is not home.

Lil will be moving Interstate shortly. I believe she was concerned that some rules may differ from State to State and since she is still on P Plates was concerned that it could be easy to lose four demerits so was planning on not changing over to a VIC licence immediately, just in case.

Skater, I hate do-gooders and preachers. GET OFF MY CASE and teach your daughter some manners. Maybe even learn not to get involved in strangers' lives yourself.

I believe that you are quite wrong to stand up and declare to the world that you have no intention to do the same.

Hey world! I have no intention of obeying the law. I will continue to drive at what I feel is a safe speed, regardless of arbitrary numbers painted on metal.

At this point, i would like to humbly apologise for any misunderstood comments i have made.

I did not intend on offending anyone, it was simply in jest and meant as a simple joke.

Skater, I hate do-gooders and preachers. GET OFF MY CASE and teach your daughter some manners. Maybe even learn not to get involved in strangers' lives yourself.

Get off your case because I disagree with you? Get real! Perhaps you should learn some manners yourself, and as far as not getting involved in strangers lives, well, you started it by being rude to someone just because they are younger than yourself. What a joke!

Back