Vic speeding fine - don't give a stuff ?

Hey world! I have no intention of obeying the law. I will continue to drive at what I feel is a safe speed, regardless of arbitrary numbers painted on metal.

Lots of people try that.

It gets expensive.

By the way Sunfish; are you sure you didn't take exception to LS's post simply because she's young and should "respect her elders"? :D

I read her post in context and it all sounded like simply stating a fact to me, and I reckon she was being general to all - not just you.

I guess she's stating the obvious, but so? I was actually going to post exactly what she said before I read hers.

BayView said:
I read her post in context and it all sounded like simply stating a fact to me, and I reckon she was being general to all - not just you.

I guess she's stating the obvious, but so? I was actually going to post exactly what she said before I read hers.

I also did not find Lil Skater's post to be in any way offensive or 'in jest'. It was a sensible and factual statement on how to avoid traffic fines, and it applies to everyone who uses the roads.

I find it rather interesting that the ones who found it somewhat disagreeable were themselves fully prepared to thumb their noses at the law. Would they continue to thumb their noses when they seriously hurt someone in a car crash? Only time will tell.

Strannik said:
the ones who "thumb their noses" actually learn how to drive properly according to the conditions, rather than blindly following the speed limits.

With reference to 'conditions', I assume that you are referring to wet, icy or gravel roads? If so, I agree that everyone should know that they should drive slower / more carefully on such roads.

I am unaware of any situations which allow anyone (excepting ambulances and such) to go above the listed speed limit, and would appreciate your further advice on this. :)

And on the other flip of the coin, there are the ones who flee the country simply to avoid paying the price for flouting traffic rules.

Last edited:
the ones who "thumb their noses" actually learn how to drive properly according to the conditions, rather than blindly following the speed limits.

Sim, can you please install super-kudos? Regular kudos just won't do.

For those who think I'm just out speeding everywhere, I'm not; it goes both ways... there are a few streets in Brisbane zoned 60 kph that you can barely drive 40 through safely, yet people blindly blast through there simply because of the (stupid) signage.

With reference to 'conditions', I assume that you are referring to wet, icy or gravel roads?

There are a million other 'conditions', eg. potholes, skinny lanes and parked cars on both sides of the road, pedestrians everywhere, bad camber on turns, etc. It's an endless list.

ianvestor said:
There are a million other 'conditions', eg. potholes, skinny lanes and parked cars on both sides of the road, pedestrians everywhere, bad camber on turns, etc. It's an endless list.

Ah those conditions. I remember them well. Add in 'lost newbie looking for their friend's house' :p

Well, I crawl through such at about 5 km/hr sometimes, no matter what the speed limit signs say. I love my car too much to scratch it, and pedestrian blood is just so hard to wash off from the underside of my car. [/joke]

In my personal opinion, I classify going under the listed speed limit as common sense. In heavy rain, our 100 km/hr freeways can sometimes crawl to 60kms or so. Anyone who wants to court an accident is more than welcome to skid through on 100 kms.

I had to be cut out of my vehicle by emergency services due to a 'local' speeding in an area that he knew like the back of his hand. There were no adverse conditions at the time just excessive speed resulting in the rear wheels of the vehicle leaving the tar, loss of traction on the gravel, and a head on collision. The other driver actually came up to me while I was half out of it and trapped in my vehicle and said, "didn't you see I lost control". It was single lane each way with a rock face one side and bush on the other so exactly what he thought I could do except be 30 seconds later is beyond me.

Another time I was riding my motor bike when a pallet fell off the truck in front of me, I had to ride under trees to avoid hitting the damn thing if I had been going faster then I doubt that I would be here today, certainly not in one piece.

I agree sometimes the speed limits appear to have nothing to do with the location, and that often the measures put in place appear to be little more than revenue raising with the latest being combined redlight/speed cameras. However this does not excuse us from our obligations as drivers.

When we drive we do not know what is around the corner, we do not know when someone else will make an error, or an unexpected situation will occur. As experienced drivers we should be aware of our surroundings and drive accordingly, ready to respond should the situaton require. However this does not mean that we make our own rules.

Experience is great however for the sake of all road users we have rules and if more drivers followed these instead of having flagrent disregard then there would be fewer fines, more people would keep their licence and we would have a better chance of arriving at our destination in one piece.

Regards

Andrew

With reference to 'conditions', I assume that you are referring to wet, icy or gravel roads? If so, I agree that everyone should know that they should drive slower / more carefully on such roads.

not only weather, i also refer to visibility, other cars around you, driving on a bend where you don't see the road ahead of you or on the crest, crappy road surface and so on and so on

I am unaware of any situations which allow anyone (excepting ambulances and such) to go above the listed speed limit, and would appreciate your further advice on this. :)

any straight stretch of highway with 3 lanes or more, no/few other cars and normal dry road surface is safe to drive up to 150 if you drive a newish car with normal (i.e working properly) suspension

I'm sorry Strannik and whom ever else this may concern.

I have bit my tounge and been quiet, i also stood up and tried to do the right thing by apologising for anything that has caused anyone to be offended. But yourself and others have completely disregarded my comment that has said it was simply a JOKE.

Now what Mazda was saying is it is ILLEGAL to break the speed limit, unless you are an emergency vehicle. Whether it is safe or not is irrelevant.

If you want to break the laws with disrespect for anyone else on the roads so be it, but consider this, just think for one second about your family and friends. It has been proved time and time again that when it comes to speeding/alcohol related fatalities or where serious injury is caused, the driver tends to be unaffected or to a lesser extent. So next time you're travelling with loved ones think about how you would feel living with the fact that it was YOUR fault.

Now it is true this may never happen, and i would never wish that upon yourself or anyone else for that matter. I am simply stating the facts.

If you drive the speed limit, and pay attention to surroundings and take into account certain conditions, you are more likely to remain safe on the roads.

Also in an accident, yes, newer vehicles do handle better. I agree. BUT in saying this, it's usually the drivers fault, no matter the type of car.

And i know you, and many others are going to slam me for this post, but i really don't care. Just because i'm young and have less experience means jack in this situation. I will choose to stick to the speed limit and pay attention, and hope that i don't encounter a colision with someone who is completely disrespectful to everyone else on the road.

PS: i find it funny Strannik, that you have a link to your business i suppose..? Posts like this in my opinion isn't going to increase your clientelle.

Reactions: weg
PS: i find it funny Strannik, that you have a link to your business i suppose..? Posts like this in my opinion isn't going to increase your clientelle.

It is funny you mention this Lil, because I was thinking the same thing of my own links (below). But I can only be myself, some will like me and some won't and I'm fine with that. Actually I suddenly like Strannik more. Maybe I'll check out his link...

Now what Mazda was saying is it is ILLEGAL to break the speed limit, unless you are an emergency vehicle. Whether it is safe or not is irrelevant.

that's not how i read MAZDA's post as we were talking about safety, not legality

plus laws change every day
you probably broke quite a few yourself without even knowing it

if tomorrow there is a new law which says that everyone should walk upside down - will you follow it?

If you drive the speed limit, and pay attention to surroundings and take into account certain conditions, you are more likely to remain safe on the roads.

Also in an accident, yes, newer vehicles do handle better. I agree. BUT in saying this, it's usually the drivers fault, no matter the type of car.

And i know you, and many others are going to slam me for this post, but i really don't care. Just because i'm young and have less experience means jack in this situation. I will choose to stick to the speed limit and pay attention, and hope that i don't encounter a colision with someone who is completely disrespectful to everyone else on the road.

i think you completely missed the point of everything that was said here. I don't advocate speeding. i say that people should drive according to conditions which means SAFE driving. to make it real simple for you, it means that in some places i might drive significantly under the speed limit, and in some over, depending on the situation in particular spot at particular time.

now this is respectful to everyone else, because it accounts for all the road users. on the contrary, driving speed limit is reckless because you don't care for the conditions around you, and next thing you know your car is spinning on the opposite lane because of the pot hole.

driving speed limit does not guarantee that you'll get home safe. in fact, you probably have less chances to get home safe because you tend to look at the speedo instead of the road.

it's already been proven many times that majority of accidents do not involve exceeding speed limit. it's been also proven many times that when people are left to their own majority tends to pick the safest speed by themselves. that's what they actually use as a guide for setting limits in USA, i suggest you google "The 85th percentile rule"

firstly i'm not looking for clientèle on this site (not that i mind finding some)

secondly, you cannot please everyone all the time. there are as many different opinions on anything on this forum as there people here. probably even more, cause some people change their opinions from thread to thread :p

Back