video of a perfect tenant

Actually, I don't think this lady is depressed. She is opinionated and stubborn, but not depressed. Just cannot seem to throw anything out. Who needs 20 pairs of black trousers, 20 pairs of white etc.....

She has been heading this way for a long time, about ten years since she moved to this place. She now cannot fit her car in her two car garage because there is a two car sized pile of "stuff", including broken furniture, broken pots etc. She has had an outdoor table and chair set there, stacked up, for at least five years now. Broken pots that could be put in the bin, but aren't. It is heading for a serious hoarding issue, but I'm not her keeper.

And I wasn't aiming anything at you, but just didn't understand what your first sentence meant :).

I still tend to think these cases seem to be some sort of issue more than stubornness or laziness even though they may be the results (?)

I still tend to think these cases seem to be some sort of issue more than stubornness or laziness even though they may be the results (?)

I'm sure that like many mental illnesses, there are degrees. However, the shows that I've seen show just how anxious the people get when someone as much as picks up something that is "precious" to them, even if it is a rotten, mouldy piece of cheese in the disgustingly filthy fridge, or an empty take away container, one of hundreds they cannot throw out.

It amazes me that some of the people in the show have partners who stick by them. I don't know if I could live like that even if I loved the hoarder.

On very sad episode showed a mother in her 50s choosing her filthy home with all the putrid rubbish over her children and grandchildren. It is not normal. Some of them have kids with health issues due to the filth, but they cannot clean it up.

It goes waaaaaaay past stubborn or lazy.

I'm sure that like many mental illnesses, there are degrees. However, the shows that I've seen show just how anxious the people get when someone as much as picks up something that is "precious" to them, even if it is a rotten, mouldy piece of cheese in the disgustingly filthy fridge, or an empty take away container, one of hundreds they cannot throw out.

It amazes me that some of the people in the show have partners who stick by them. I don't know if I could live like that even if I loved the hoarder.

On very sad episode showed a mother in her 50s choosing her filthy home with all the putrid rubbish over her children and grandchildren. It is not normal. Some of them have kids with health issues due to the filth, but they cannot clean it up.

It goes waaaaaaay past stubborn or lazy

Of course, it's a mental illness like you said

I guess only those in the situation understand how they go throught it and stick by their partners.

We had a tenant (we inherited her, when we bought our home..5 unit apt building).
I know why the owner showed all us all of the other units except this one. I felt sorry for her budgie bird.

In my younger days just out of my apprenticeship my wife and I used to do real estate cleans as part of our maintenance business, will say never as bad as that but the rubbish people left was unreal and I have thrown up a few times.

While the smell was bad, I found out very early never wear shorts when cleaning places like this. There are things worse than the smell and for me it was the FLEAS.

I've come accros a few hoarders in the last few weeks in my job and it is as far as I'm concerned an illness.

Brian

I've come accros a few hoarders in the last few weeks in my job and it is as far as I'm concerned an illness.

You are correct. We discussed this recently in another thread. It is not an easy fix. The Hoarders show didn't have many successful endings, even with psychologists and professional organisers trying to help these people.

I have watched a friend descending into this. She admits she has a problem, but is in complete denial that she cannot change if she wishes :rolleyes:. It is a complicated relationship for me. If we were closer I would continue to offer to help, but she doesn't want to change, doesn't want to discuss it. I get panicky being in her house.

It is not up to the "dirty" level, but there is just "stuff" everywhere. I don't know how she lives amongst it.

Hoarders do have a mental illness.
As LL's you can decide to get rid of these problems early on.

At the moment we have a tenant who thinks aliens are torturing her and people breaking into her property.As soon as her lease is up, she will need to move along.
Nice woman, and I feel sorry for her, but she is causing too much commotion calling the police, putting signs in her windows warning people, ads online to have someone housesit so she can escape.

It's too bad they don't lock people up, and make them take their medication.
It must be a dreadful existance.

Back