Viewing Real estate on Google Maps and Google Earth

Just another update to the site (I cannot believe I just spent 3 days straight doing it)

1) Property Categories are now in different Colours. So you can easily tell the difference between a House and a Unit without a problem.

2) Price Filters. Just like in Google Earth you can now hide price ranges you are not interested in. This took me ages trying to figure out how to do it on the web page.

3) Room Filters. You can now hide those properties with rooms you don't want to see.

4) Ability to make the Map bigger. There is a new Icon on the bottom right of the map that lets you make the map bigger. Also the map size changes once you view properties on the map. This is to help fill the page as with the new filters, the page became twice as long.

The new stuff has been tested on IE 6 & Firefox 1.5.0.7 (So it should work a lot better on the newer browser versions)

Once again, thanks for the great feedback.

Just another update to the site (I cannot believe I just spent 3 days straight doing it)

1) Property Categories are now in different Colours. So you can easily tell the difference between a House and a Unit without a problem.

2) Price Filters. Just like in Google Earth you can now hide price ranges you are not interested in. This took me ages trying to figure out how to do it on the web page.

3) Room Filters. You can now hide those properties with rooms you don't want to see.

4) Ability to make the Map bigger. There is a new Icon on the bottom right of the map that lets you make the map bigger. Also the map size changes once you view properties on the map. This is to help fill the page as with the new filters, the page became twice as long.

The new stuff has been tested on IE 6 & Firefox 1.5.0.7 (So it should work a lot better on the newer browser versions)

Once again, thanks for the great feedback.

Hi Phezz,
The site is very useful and you are obviously putting a LOT of time into it.

I am struggling to see how the options mentioned above are selected though. I can't for the life of me see where the filters are, for instance. I am using FF2.

Help!!

Regards,
Chris.

I am struggling to see how the options mentioned above are selected though. I can't for the life of me see where the filters are, for instance. I am using FF2.

The filters appear after you select to view the Suburb. Its currently working on a "Show All Properties First" approach. Then you can filter out the properties you don't want to see.

Attachments

• filters.png
    filters.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 101
Doh! I've only ever clicked on "View on Google" and didn't press the "View on Map" option - now I can see the options!:rolleyes:

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Chris.

P.S. When I press the "View on Google" I always get the "What do you want to do with this file?" message, even though the "Do this automatically with files like this from now on" is checked. Any ideas what is wrong?

P.S. When I press the "View on Google" I always get the "What do you want to do with this file?" message, even though the "Do this automatically with files like this from now on" is checked. Any ideas what is wrong?

Sounds like you might of installed Google Earth before Firefox, and it doesn't know what a KML file is.

I think there is a newer Version of Google Earth out now, so you might want to download and install that, and it might fix the problem.

Anyone else having problems with searches loading right now?

Search page comes up showing map and area but just sits there not loading prices, type of property , exact location etc etc :(

It seems to be working for me. Try to search for that Suburb again, and wait till all the surrounding suburbs load, then click on the "For sale" or "Rent" link

Displaying than 200+ properties can take a while so hang in there, and I am looking into ways to make it load quicker.

Thanks for pointing out the problem Rixter, as it seemed to be happening for a particular suburb. I have identified and fixed the problem. Sorry it took so long, as I just came back from looking for my first property.

And in case anybody wanted to know, "Yes" I did use my site to identify which ones to look at.

You are an absolute legend!

How long I have tried to get just a simple mapping program up and running!

This is going to save me (because I often use map techniques) soooo much time.

Many thanks

Regards

Keen

Is there a way to update within GoogleEarth?

Hey Phezz,
you've created an incredible site here - and it's getting better and better all the time!! well done mate - champion effort :)

when i import the listings into GoogleEarth - is it at all possible to overwrite the existing links - so that the properties that i had already discounted do not reappear and if there only a few new properties added to the suburb - that only those are brought in to somehow overwrite within the suburb directory?

if its not possible - not to worry - the site as it is - is already an aewsome way to search australia for property!

chat soon,
stan.

When i import the listings into GoogleEarth - is it at all possible to overwrite the existing links - so that the properties that i had already discounted do not reappear and if there only a few new properties added to the suburb - that only those are brought in to somehow overwrite within the suburb directory?

The way I import the data into google earth, is it shows all the current sales. I have no way of knowing which Properties you have already discounted for.

Because all the data is there, you can do what you want with it. Save them, delete them, etc.

I might look into giving people the option to change the colour of the text, so it will make it easier to find out which ones are new compared to your old data.

Phezz,

Great site mate :) I've been using it for a while without reading this thread.

3 Suggestions:

a) Have a link to accept donations. You deserve more financial credit for this than just Google ads.

b) Allow us to search by land size.

c) Allow the searching of multiple suburbs at once (especially Balmain, Balmain East and Birchgrove!) :)

Once again well done, I've already forwarded the URL to this site to my colleagues and friends.

Phezz,

Great site mate :) I've been using it for a while without reading this thread.

3 Suggestions:

a) Have a link to accept donations. You deserve more financial credit for this than just Google ads.

b) Allow us to search by land size.

c) Allow the searching of multiple suburbs at once (especially Balmain, Balmain East and Birchgrove!) :)

Once again well done, I've already forwarded the URL to this site to my colleagues and friends.

A) Sound like a good idea. Will have a link once I have added a couple more features on the site.

b) Land size is hard, as most sites hardly list it, but its something I might be able to put together.

c) Multiple suburbs on Google Maps I will have to test out. I have some problems showing over 200 spots. Once I can over come that problem, then I might be able to do it. You can do / View much more if you use Google Earth, so that might be a better option.

New Feature
Added a "Display Address" on the bottom of the map. This means that you can type in an address and it will show up a marker.

I have made it very relaxed in the searching, so you can get away with just the street name, and suburb.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

New Feature
Added a "Display Address" on the bottom of the map. This means that you can type in an address and it will show up a marker.

I have made it very relaxed in the searching, so you can get away with just the street name, and suburb.

Absolutely Brilliant Phezz!

Thanks!

Great site!

I was a bit concerned when a search of my home area showed up something for sale in the middle of the local cemetary :D, but refreshing the display fixed that.

Excellent stuff.

[Edit: just realised that the marker in the cemetary was not a property, but just the suburb name.]

Cheers,
GP

*bow*

Excellent site.

Not only do I appreciate it as a tool, but the code that went into that! "Useablity"/user interface is great as well. And its free!

*we are not worthy*
:D

AJ

Back