WA state election

mmm... election day is coming and there is no thread to discuss so thought I'll start one.

me like labor because:

1. Metronet (spending for the good for more people)
2. Don't like Colin Barnett and gang. After all these booming years, report card hasn't nothing to show for. Besides increasing population and traffic, what has change for the better for WA since 2005.to me, nothing!

McCowan because I can and point 1 in above post as I have vested interest and its compulsory to vote. :)

Last edited:
Metronet does nothing for me. If the only thing you can see is more traffic then you really must be a half glass full person? anyone that pulled the trigger on elizabeth quay deserves a vote jsut so we dont have to endure another design competition/proposal on the matter

Oh boy.

Won't be Labor.

Good luck wasting $6B on Metronet (not the stated $3.8B) and have a rail line that goes past the airport, about 1km away from the terminal. That is an EPIC fail. Rail lines to an airport generally, well, you know, go to the airport.

And relocating the new stadium back to Subiaco Oval????? Let's see, compulsory acquisition of properties and Subiaco stadium probably at half capacity for the better part of two/three seasons. Great way to put fans right off. There's enough problems there with 40000 spectators, let alone 60000! The Burswood option is better as it is a greenfields site and things can be done right once. Plus there's good road and rail connections with pedestrian linkages back into East Perth. There is the opportunity to make it a real sporting/cultural/entertainment precinct. Subiaco has so many issues that will just be made worse.

me like labor

Indeed - I think that is exactly how most of them speak.

After all these booming years, report card hasn't nothing to show for.

Indeed - being a double negative, that translates to 'has everything'.

Oh dear. I'm a little too close to comment on this, other than to say that I reckon the TAB quoted above is being very generous with their odds.

....and I think the guy's name is McGowan.

Indeed - I think that is exactly how most of them speak.

Indeed - being a double negative, that translates to 'has everything'.

Oh dear. I'm a little too close to comment on this, other than to say that I reckon the TAB quoted above is being very generous with their odds.

....and I think the guy's name is McGowan.

Oh give 'em a break Dazz at least they are trying.

Why is it that people who have little idea about politics always seem to vote for labor? :rolleyes:
(and before you get all defensive Im not talking about the OP here).

Dazz - do you know a young bloke (30) by the name of Richard Wilson by any chance (you would know him if you saw him 6'8 and about 130kgs).

Blacky

I'll vote for anyone who can get rid of Troy Buswell.

To tell the truth, I don't even know what party is currently in power but I'm voting for the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Libs have a soft spot on public transport which is why Labor is pursuing it so hard. A lot of people remember how Barnett wanted to divert the southern rail line across through Thornlie rather than going over the Narrows. That was a very bad call considering that rail line was the lowest cost in the developed world per km at the time and now carries far more people than its business case thought possible. Everyone makes mistakes but the perception that the Libs don't understand public transport carries on - and a lot more people are using public transport than ever before.

I'm fairly ambivalent about Elisabeth Quay - I actually preferred the foreshore without the Hay Shed and would prefer it without this development but that's just a preference. What really annoys me is that these sorts of projects (and stadiums...) get a look in when the level of the State's debt is so high. FFS pay down some debt before considering these luxuries. Hospitals and public transport - fine. Stadiums and Quays - not fine.

But while these are soft spots for State Libs, State Labor is missing complete limbs courtesy of their Federal brethren. Pretending to compete and "distancing" themselves from Gillard et al is like the knight in the Holy Grail saying "it's just a flesh wound"...

A lot of people remember how Barnett wanted to divert the southern rail line across through Thornlie rather than going over the Narrows.

tens of millions had already been spent on platform designs and provisions for the thornlie route, most of which were binned but I believe there are still some good tunnels out that way? I think Barnett didn't want to waste that money and we had after all just endured years of having the freeway ripped up, only to go thru it again, and still it continues to this day. amazing. And the train line doesn't actually go anywhere useful anyway, other than baldivis central which for some reason isnt popular so go figure. what happened to Amarillo anyway? and where is karnup station?

if we can't build for the future now then when? great to see some vision, albeit quite modest (well actually very modest). the canal would've change the country, but it was just too radical for the populice.

I'll vote for anyone who can get rid of Troy Buswell.

To tell the truth, I don't even know what party is currently in power but I'm voting for the opposite.

Ah yes, nothing like ignorance to perfectly exercise our democratic right.

Last edited by a moderator:
tens of millions had already been spent on platform designs and provisions for the thornlie route, most of which were binned but I believe there are still some good tunnels out that way? I think Barnett didn't want to waste that money and we had after all just endured years of having the freeway ripped up, only to go thru it again, and still it continues to this day. amazing. And the train line doesn't actually go anywhere useful anyway, other than baldivis central which for some reason isnt popular so go figure. what happened to Amarillo anyway? and where is karnup station?

are you seriously defending the route to mandurah through thornlie?

labor did a good job binning that route

are you seriously defending the route to mandurah through thornlie?

labor did a good job binning that route

yes, there is nothing good about that train in the middle of the freeway. as an ex Leeming resident it was a disaster for public transport in that area. All that extra expense and hassle for what extra benefit? (and at what loss to the alternative). It's a cool visual tho and I am sure the few passengers have a lovely time looking at the marvellous water views. good for the tourists i suppose.

yes, there is nothing good about that train in the middle of the freeway. as an ex Leeming resident it was a disaster for public transport in that area. All that extra expense and hassle for what extra benefit? (and at what loss to the alternative). It's a cool visual tho and I am sure the few passengers have a lovely time looking at the marvellous water views. good for the tourists i suppose.

hang on, how has a train station in leeming been a disaster for public transport in the area?

"the few passengers" is hardly accurate too, mandurah line had patronage of 20,293,223 last year.

you are obviously pretty anti PT but im staggered that you think the mandurah line has not been a success. imagine the freeway if it did not exist!

More people used the Mandurah line in 2011/12 than any other line and in fact it was more than Freo and Armadale lines COMBINED.

not sure if "few passengers" is an accurate description...

Btw I'm looking at this from a completely apolitical position

Last edited:
it's the typical problem of rail... if you aren't in the station catchment then it just doesn't work. the bus service from Leeming use to be great, then started to terminate at the station and it was quicker just to drive.

the freeway traffic wouldnt be much different regardless of which path it took - seriosuly how many stations are we talking about, canning bridge, murdoch and 1 or 2 other dodgies? at what compromise?? the major hubs shoved out into the bush and the thornlie line misses out, not to mention the commuter misery inflicted for the years of construction.

I think it's ok where it is but I do have a big problem with the location of the rockingham and mandurah station (pretty much useless which defeats the purpose of the whole line) and I never realised that was the trade off for the passengers havign a nicer view

I think the train line being built was a good thing, and Allanah MacTeirnan from Labor in particular should be congratulated. She did great pushing that through !!

I'm highly surprised though that someone one day decided transport (more particularly congestion in the metro area) was going to be the big issue.....and everyone else unquestioningly ran with it.

Last state election back in Sept 2008, the hospital system was in utter crisis mode. The Libs fixed the lot. The entire hospital system in WA, from Bunbury, to Albany, to Esperance, to Geraldton, to Kalgoorlie, to Karratha, and of course including the new childrens hospital and the big Fiona Stanley which will serve WA for the next 50 years.

The unions (particularly Mark Olson from the ANF) is running a pointed campaign against the Libs on behalf of his Labor mates at present, causing industrial action......silly games indeed.

As one punter pointed out in the paper today, the nurses contract doesn't expire until June, so they've got another 4 months to negotiate in. The writs for the election have been issued, so they're also in caretaker mode, so no negotiations can take place.....there is no Govt right now. Of course, the ANF is only attacking the Liberals, not a peep towards their masters Labor.

Militant nurses whipped into a frenzy threatening sick and elderly patients - crazy stuff during an election where the Govt is no longer the Govt and therefore cannot make a decision.

Unemployment at record lows, anyone who wants a job has a job - not a peep.

Mining and oil and gas industries pumping huge royalties into the state coffers, all going smoothly - not a peep.

Haven't lost any more $ 30 billion deals like the state Labor Govt did with Inpex to the NT. Their gain, WA's loss.

Established a mental health minister - the first in any Australian parliament - not a peep.

Established the second biggest marine park in Australia in the Kimberley, only beaten by the great barrier reef in Qld - not a peep.

Paid for the royalty for regions programme....yes, Colin Barnett actually signs all of the cheques, not Brendon Grylls from the Nationals. Gets some coverage.

Donated over $ 600 million to charities like Rocky Bay and Dementia sufferers over the course of the Govt's term....unprecidented - not a peep.

Have run budget surplus' every year - just like all Lib Govt's do most of the time - not a peep.

Haven't built a single metre of heavy rail track - huge headlines.

Have increased Govt debt to pay for the infrastructure - I'm not happy about that.....we've seen where that leads. Big cross against the Libs for that.

What I'm seeing on the ground out here is a massive rejection of Labor. The voters don't really distinguish between federal and state issues - well, the vast majority of them don't. They see the dog's breakfast that is Federal Labor and are getting ready to reject all of the state Labor candidates.

The state Labor candidates refuse to put the word Labor on their signs. John Hyde, the Perth state MP simply has "Hyde - Perth". They all know the word Labor is toxic to their chances.

Don't be surprised to see the Libs get the 31 seats they need to govern. 30 for an absolute majority in the 59 seat lower house and 1 to put in the Speaker's chair to control proceedings.

it's the typical problem of rail... if you aren't in the station catchment then it just doesn't work. the bus service from Leeming use to be great, then started to terminate at the station and it was quicker just to drive.

the freeway traffic wouldnt be much different regardless of which path it took - seriosuly how many stations are we talking about, canning bridge, murdoch and 1 or 2 other dodgies? at what compromise?? the major hubs shoved out into the bush and the thornlie line misses out, not to mention the commuter misery inflicted for the years of construction.

I think it's ok where it is but I do have a big problem with the location of the rockingham and mandurah station (pretty much useless which defeats the purpose of the whole line) and I never realised that was the trade off for the passengers havign a nicer view

we are going to have to agree to disagree. you are making widly inaccurate claims and i cant be bothered. i have shown you proof, from official PTA figures, that the mandurah line is the one with the highest patronage, directly contradicting your "few people" claim. how can you, with a straight face, say that the busiest line in the whole network, that runs in the middle of the freeway, does not ease congestion on the freeway?

seriously, think about it.

re commuter misery - there are always inconveniences during construction of infrastructure projects. imagine if they had done it now instead of back then? it would cost significantly more and the freeway would be stuffed due to strong population growth since then.

it was a good move

btw - check out how many people are going to be living in cockburn anbd surrounds ands tell me again that the train line does not help with congestion. Acvtually, ill even make it easy for you:

Forecast population 2013: 97,088
Change between 2013 and 2031: 30,800

Last edited:
Back