Wall tile removal - is this damage?

I'm trying to assess whether our builder has done any damage (refer my other thread in this respect). Anyway, once the tiles are removed from the wall do you see the timber behind like in the attached picture? Is this normal?. Also, he seems to have taken out sections of the floor completely while removing tiles?:confused:

Attachments

• Bathroom 1.jpg
    Bathroom 1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Often faster and easier to rip the gyprock off and install new sheeting than to chip all the tiles. Fairly standard practice.

If the tiles were glued to gyprock as it appears then the whole lot would have to come off, you couldn't separate the 2 without damaging the gyprock. Gyprock is not an appropriate wall lining for bathrooms.
As for removing floorboards, it could be to gain access to run new pipes, or they could be rotten from water damage, why don't you ask him?

Hi there

It's normal. It can be quicker to simply cut off the sheets instead of trying to remove each tile.

At times, the tiles won't come off so you have to rip off the gyprock.

It won't be too expensive to add new sheets.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks so much. I just wanted to know if this was normal as this is my first reno and as you would have gathered I am a complete novice at this.

If the tiles were glued to gyprock as it appears then the whole lot would have to come off, you couldn't separate the 2 without damaging the gyprock. Gyprock is not an appropriate wall lining for bathrooms.
As for removing floorboards, it could be to gain access to run new pipes, or they could be rotten from water damage, why don't you ask him?
Actually there is a plasterboard product that is sealed and appropriate for bathrooms. The difference between that stuff and regular gyprock is that the paper used to cover the sheet has been impregnated with a waterproofing compound, and is blue rather than beige. It isn't a new product - been used for years without any fuss.

I also agree that the above job is pretty neat, btw.

Job is pretty neat to me. Think about it, to take tiles off that wall one by one would cost you 2 guys a day, 16 man hours.

Sawing off the sheets with tiles - 1 man/hr.

You'd then have to buy new plasterboard and put it back regardless.

Being pointed in the right direction, priceless. For everything else there's mastercard!

Good luck.

Wall tile removal

We do a lot of bathrooms, I concur with the majority of your replies. The wall looks perfectly normal. I would suggest the flooring was taken out because it could be to make way for new plumbing or that the boards were water damaged. If this is the space for a new shower don't re line the wall with plaster. Use Villa Board then coat with an approved membrane or line with a product called Multi Panel.

Back