Wardrobe Design/Designers

Hey Guys,

Well it's almost time to settle on our new property and the first call of duty is the wardrobes.

Whilst there are built-ins currently in the master, the layout and use of the space is really inefficient and a point I think was a potential 'turn-off' to some 'other' interested parties.

I'm wondering if anybody has every engaged the likes of a professional wardrobe designer or knows any businesses that are creative with space solutions? BTW, I am in Melbourne.

I was thinking of engaging somebody like these guys:

http://www.spaceworks.com.au/

Obviously, these services may come at a premium but I think has the potential to add some value to the property.

I'll take some photos and provide some dimensions so you know what I'm working with next week when I inspect the property prior to settlement, however, wanted to get some ideas/thoughts and get the ball rolling.

:D

Whilst there are built-ins currently in the master........ but I think has the potential to add some value to the property.

Replacing one BIR with a more modern BIR is a $0 value add. :(

If it is for a PPOR - go for it - but only because you want it. Most of the wardrobe / shower screen outfits are pretty good at designing & then installing something good & fit for purpose.

Hi All
I have a place that has no wardrobes at all and was told it would make difference to either the rental price or the reval
so there you go :eek:

^Agreed.
Unless you will live there don't get carried away with this sort of stuff. The first time I got one of those wardrobe mobs out (the house had no BIRs) I was thoroughly shocked at how expensive they were. I had a pretty good idea what i could buy the materials for but some of these wardrobe prices are insane.
Renters will just go to Ikea or Howard's Storage World & buy wire baskets or other modular inserts if they need them.

Hmm... Thanks for the constructive replies everybody...

We are living in it for a while so the main robes for us at least need to be functional... Might leave the spare room as is for now (ie. No BIR).

Ms Jade, what sort of prices were being thrown around when you engaged a similar service?

If it really is *that* bad, why not knock out a few extraneous shelves and whatnot, pop down to Ikea or that storage place yourself and grab some rails and baskets and drawers and stuff?

Will cost you $100 or so tops, vs thousands for a whole new robe.

we just had two very large bir's installed yesterday. there were no buildins in the house. we didn't put any in the spare room.

although we are looking at selling later this year, the bir's are part of the reno plan as, i believe, that in this area, for this price, for this quality of reno, that clothes hanging on an open rack, or a portable cupboard, would reduce the desirability.

that being said - they cost around $1000 each, measure 2.4 long x 2.6 high and have very nice gloss doors. no drawers, lots of tall and short hanging and one has a series of shelves. i don't think drawers in a bir are worth the extra money as most people like to have a dressing table too (if there is room).

they are a great place to hide suitcases, shoes, juniors' massive toy collection etc and make the house look a lot tidier.

Hi Schmick, put up a pic or two of this BIR.

You'll probably get heaps of suggestions that way, and at least a few of them should be good.

Hi Schmick, put up a pic or two of this BIR.

You'll probably get heaps of suggestions that way, and at least a few of them should be good.

Will do asap as I'm interested in peoples ideas...

Just don't have one at present and will need to arrange with the agent to get access to the property...

Oh man, and I thought this thread was about your designer wardrobe and the upcoming Autumn collection!!! :p

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hahaha no money left for the designer clothes Y-Man... Makes me wonder what it is that I'm actually going to hang in this BIR... Hahaha... :eek:

Ms Jade, what sort of prices were being thrown around when you engaged a similar service?

I had 2 wardrobes made. Can't remember the sizes; They were quite high but not v. wide. Cost over $2600 with pretty basic layout inside (some hanging space + shelves)

mine were cheaper than ms jade's - but they were fairly standard sizes and nothing "non" standard.

that being said - i have several rentals that have no wardrobes in them, and wouldn't be putting any in. depends on the area, rental quality, tenant quality etc.

I recently finished a reno on a one bed flat we own. It had no robes at all.

I found a couple of secondhand IKEA shelf/draw cabinets at a second hand shop and built the rest of the cabinet around it from scratch (see brown timber units in photo below). With the 3 x sliding doors and tracks plus materials it cost me approx $600 to build the 2.3m x 2.1m robe unit.

Prices quoted from professional suppliers for approximately the same size unit with less shelf space was around $2300 to $2500 installed, ... a huge saving if you have the skills to do it yourself. It's not difficult and you can buy the doors and tracks from some hardware stores.

built in robe unit.jpg under constructionRobe1.jpg nearly finished Robe Finished2.jpg Finished

I have no idea if it added value or rent return to the property purely based on the robe unit as I gutted the place and renovated throughout for $9500 (I did all work myself except electrical).

I got the property revalued on completion and it added $50,000 to the value, so I was very happy. It recently sold for full asking price. By the way if we had held the property rent would have gone from $160 pw to $220 pw.

Martin

Back