Water damage from above unit roof leak

I am having a water damage issue on the property that I currently live and own.

Due to the recent rain in Sydney, water has leaked through roof of the unit above and into my unit. The moisture has caused a section of my timber floor to warp and split, and needs replacing. Apparently the problem upstairs has been known for a year but strata wasn't notified. Roof is being fixed now - at snail pace.

Strata is saying that I need to claim the floor repair through my content insurance - which I don't have. I know flooring falls under owner's responsibility, but do I have to pay for an issue caused by a common property, and also by neglect by the unit upstairs?

we had a similar problem at a townhouse - our timber floor buckled after a shower leak.

Shower leak was fixed by strata.

After months of back and forth with strata we were able to claim on strata building insurance.

I have have other incidence where carpet needed to be replaced due to water leak from a burst pipe in a wall in a unit block - we had to pay for it ourselves

clip_image002.jpg

We had a hot water unit of the apartment above us let go and damage our carpets (and tenant's gear!!).

We eneded up claiimg on our insurance.

The Y-man

Strata should be able to claim it from the building insurance because it happened due to leakage from the roof, which falls under strata...

We had an issue with shower leakage and it damaged our floorboards. Strata was able to claim it from their insurance and replaced the entire floorboard in our unit. All we had to do was get a couple of floor installers and send them the quotes. It was really easily done. No hassles at all.

You may request your strata to claim it from their insurance and tell them you don't have a content insurance.

Let us know how you go.

Back