Water damage from next door neighbour

There was a leak from next door neighbour's toilet cistern and it's causing some damage to our carpet and underlay (it's a shared wall townhouse). The next door property is tenanted and the property manager has indicated that the owner won't pay for it. It's not a big damage (a few hundred $$$) and I have my own content insurance but I am quite pissed as their irresponsible behaviour. I am thinking just backing down will set a bad precedent and they will walk all over me should something else happen in future. What are my options?

I am thinking just backing down will set a bad precedent and they will walk all over me should something else happen in future. What are my options?

I think that you have insurance so you can make one phone call and let them deal with it. Why waste the energy when you're paying someone else to handle it for you? It is the same with tenant issues. I hire a PM to do all that - I refuse to worry or spend any of my time thinking about it.

Put your mental energies into something more productive than getting annoyed at their "irresponsible behaviour" ;).

There is no body corporate on the property, we each have our own clear title. Yeah I'll just let my insurance handle it one way or the other.

Dont worry, if there is a way, your Insurance Company will get 'their' money back by hassling the next door neighbour.

there is no way your neighbour can insure your property... I am sure they didn't break their toilet on purpose to damage your carpet. This is why you have contents insurance! What if you had million dollar gold leafed carpet down?? sure some people may offer, but if the same thing had happened in reverse and you had just had to spend $100s fixing your property up after a leaky toilet would you be happy to fork out a few more for someone elses?

there is no way your neighbour can insure your property... I am sure they didn't break their toilet on purpose to damage your carpet. This is why you have contents insurance! What if you had million dollar gold leafed carpet down?? sure some people may offer, but if the same thing had happened in reverse and you had just had to spend $100s fixing your property up after a leaky toilet would you be happy to fork out a few more for someone elses?

Doesn't matter - If there is damage caused to another property by something on their property, they have to fix / repair / replace that which was affected.

Having said that, if they are being unco-operative, I would do as the others have suggested and get in touch with your insurance about it. Explain that the LL who is responsible for the damage refuses to do anything about it, check that it won't affect any no claims bonus you have, and let the insurance agency decide if they wish to pursue any legal avenues.

there is no way your neighbour can insure your property...

Your insurance policy does indeed cover you for public liability. That is what it means. Damage 'you' cause to other peoples property. And it is irrelevant if it accidental or deliberate.

Alabex, your excuse is like saying there is no way you can insure against hitting other car if you drive, what if you hit a ferrari? It's called third party/public liability insurance mate.

You should be able to find the name and address of the owner of the next door property.

Maybe the PM is just being lazy and doesn't want to try to sort this out.

A direct approach to the owner will at least alert him/her to the fact that events on his/her property will impact on yours, even if you decide to claim on your own insurance.
Marg

Back