Water diviners

I live on acreage which does not have town water so I`m on tank.
Many landowners are currently getting bores put in and using diviners to find them.
As I understand it bores can be useless if the water is too salty or dirty.
Does anyone have experience with bores ie prices to drill and effectiveness and mainly divining does it work and how to do it.
I think it costs roughly $30 per metre which adds up if the water is 100 metres down.

markpatric said:
I live on acreage which does not have town water so I`m on tank.
Many landowners are currently getting bores put in and using diviners to find them.
As I understand it bores can be useless if the water is too salty or dirty.
Does anyone have experience with bores ie prices to drill and effectiveness and mainly divining does it work and how to do it.
I think it costs roughly $30 per metre which adds up if the water is 100 metres down.

In my experience, water divining does work. At Easter time I was told be the owner of a block of land that, "in this vicinity there is water — find it". By vicinity, this was perhaps 50 metres by 50 metres. With two copper rods it was quite easy to figure out where the water was, roughly its boundaries, and sometimes which direction it flows, and the owner who had a professional diviner in a few weeks earlier, detected water in the same spot I did.

I was not the only one who had success with the divining. :)

So, I believe water divining does work, and it's worth looking in to.

Hi Mark,
I've recently put in a bore in Victoria. I live on 2.5 acres and have a lot of garden. The costing is as follows, $400 for the permit, $2750 for the testing by the bore company (they went down 260 feet), $99 for the testing of the water and I think it will cost about a further $4000 for the pump and pipes if the water test comes back alright.Good luck. Martin

I had heard that divining most definately works when you know what your doing.
Copper wires?, can I use a couple of bent coathanger? :D
Bigger cost than I thought but it`s worth looking into for sure, thanks for the advise!.
A dam is in my future plans also, I have seen some truly incredible dams built, far better than a pool, more like your own private lake, you know a little rowboat and a jetty with gazebo, big cost but well worth it!.
Any further info would be appreciated.

My father in law has used water diviners successfully.

He hired a team of two who worked in conjunction, one used wires, and the other just "sensed" without the use of any tools. Between the two of them they collaboratively found and and ranked by strength several bore sites.

markpatric said:
I had heard that divining most definately works when you know what your doing.
Copper wires?, can I use a couple of bent coathanger? :D
Bigger cost than I thought but it`s worth looking into for sure, thanks for the advise!.
A dam is in my future plans also, I have seen some truly incredible dams built, far better than a pool, more like your own private lake, you know a little rowboat and a jetty with gazebo, big cost but well worth it!.
Any further info would be appreciated.
Bent coathangers work fine.

We put a bore in last year. The water was 42M down, good flow and tested as drinking water. The cost was $350 location fee, $65/m test bore, $65/m production bore(lining), $250/hr developing plus supplies (gravel if needed).
The lined hole cost $6600. What you do from there depends on your needs ie windmill, solar pump, petrol pump and so on. Up and running, with a new windmill, we have spent well over $10,000. Other people get good results at a lower cost but we are happy. We can take care of a lot of stock without waiting for rain. Property value has gone up because of the water.

We used 'local knowledge' rather than divining. It is possible to spend a lot of money to get nothing so don't count on one source. I suggest you ask neighbours about local conditions. At these prices you might not want to rely on a bent coat hanger.

The reason I originally asked the question regarding bores is that many people in the area are getting them rightnow and there is a rumour that they will not be allowing them shortly, doesn`t make sense why they would not allow them?.
Maybe I can find the water and drill a hole then finish it later. I don`t have 10 grand right now, or even 3 :D .

Dear Markpatric,

I am not familiar with the situation in Queensland but I think the word is out that there is a need for bore management because of the nature of the Qld, and some northern NSW bores. I think they may be artesian and actually flow continuously with some uncapped bores just being wasted.

In our area, even though we have to pump from deep wells, we still hear talk about restricting the instalation of additional bores. If someone determines that this drought is a permanent thing there may be a very good reason to restrict further development. Who knows?

In NSW there is a time limit from application to completion.

Back