We have all been called #$&+'s

Obviously you are young and don't remember the time this actually happened for a small amount of time.

No, actually I'm an old fart and have been investing in many different kinds of properties and equities for over 30 years. I was probably living in the USA when that happened and news from Aussie was hard to get pre-internet. How interesting. I'll look it up.

This really does get me. Especially in September with the full FHOG.

Someone could have bought my house for $57,000 after the grants at that time. Less if you had your own deposit too. That's barely $70 a week for a house that needs no repairs. The lowest rent you could pay out there for a much worse house is $100 a week - for most places you'd be paying $150ish. Did it sell? Of course not!

Yep! We bought one in a regional area a few years back for $25k which rented for $140pw. If you take the $7k FHOG off that price it would have cost a FHO a grand total of $18k.:confused: Now, I'm not going to work out the repayments, but they are significantly less than the rent. They get free stamps too. Oh, forgot to mention that the house also had a basic, but new kitchen and was NOT located in a caravan park.

Some people still wouldn't own a house if you gave it to them, I reckon.:rolleyes:

Obviously you are young and don't remember the time this actually happened for a small amount of time. It caused so much upheaval that they quickly re-introduced it at a higher level than before.

This is not true... there was no 'upheaval' or nationwide increases in rents, and negative gearing was re-introduced purely for political reasons after an election scaremongering campaign.

Everybody probably knows but me, but can I ask where you are located? It does seem astonishing that it didn't sell.
Very small town 220km due north of Adelaide (ie, you *could* commute to Adelaide if you were willing to do a 1.5 hour drive then hop on the train). More of a bogan-with-kids or a retire-and-start-a-gallery kind of house though.

I have it back on Gumtree again for $75k and have a few emails already, I'm hoping to sell it with the tenants in place to get cash for our new build. It is $110pw. I still think if it was less renovated it would have sold faster - people want a cheap house they can fix up, not a cheap house they can just move into :confused:

At the same time a 2br house in atrocious condition on a tiny block here sold for $85k and a complete knockdown sold for $72k so the cheapies are out there, but mine was one of the rare few that was actually completely liveable as is.

Nothing I don't get called on a regular basis and I've been called far worse many times before! I'm not too bothered.

I'm fairly new in the game, and haven't been called anything yet. So does this mean when I am called nasty things that rather than being insulted I should take it as a compliment as I then know I have "made it"? :D

Wow some of the comments are really stupid!!!!

Some such as

doubt people that own the 6 properties aren’t aware of the irony that:

1) The houses they buy are now still proportionally the same as all other houses so they haven’t made money other than paper money

Yes you tool, it is called acquiring, and what do you think happens when you stop buying and the market keeps moving.

3) The ROI is usually only about 5%. You could do better by putting it into an ING bank account.

This guy seems to not have thought about leveraging. Your rental return is 5% not on your capital but the banks too!! And, what about 7% capital growth and 30% of your expenses back through tax (at least)

SIGH, it's days like these im glad I don't have to read **** like that and can come to somersoft and talk with like minded people..(generally ;p)

Almost Bob (Rob) was called "Evil Landlord" last summer when we took a tenant to court. He stated to the judge he refers to himself as that.

Rob always introduces himself to our tenants that way.
A couple of months ago we decided to make it official.
We had a dozen t shirts custom embroidered with our company name on the front left chest and "Evil Landlord" on the left sleeve.

Not wanting our supers to feel left out, we gave the husband and wife team a couple t shirts each with "Evil Super" on their sleeves.

We think it is as funny as hell.The salesperson never forgets us.

Most tenants think we are great.Even have stated in court how good we had treated them.They just can't manage their money and appreciate it when we offer to accept small monthly payments.

They cannot accuse us of being Slum Landlords

Very small town 220km due north of Adelaide .

Found it - that's right near Appila where my family have farmed for years. Beautiful country, especially after it rains. Good luck with selling - must have been galling seeing a property go for 10K more unrenovated.

Idea: How about sending a spectacular photo to the Sunday newspaper segment called Homehunt in The Australian, where they put photos and small descriptions in of property from every state?

My sister had a beautiful old Federation house in rural SA and it sat on the market for almost a year. When she sent the photo and a few words about it to the paper it sold the following week. It's not advertising - I don't know what it is - you don't get charged anything if your property is chosen. It just has to be "interesting" .

You know the sad thing, the property owners being defensive in their answers.
Stuff it i say, this is a democratic country, and i am utilising my democratic right to invest in what ever asset gives me the best return.

You dont like it as a renter, well thats not my problem.

There is a key medium term risk to property owners however.
Intelligent government intervention.
The easiest way in my opinion is by directing first home owners grant to only new housing. Increase the amount, but make it only for new housing.

Other ideas:
1) remove local councils from being able to impose local council plans. Standardise everything and remove the ability of local residents to object.
2) drastically reduce the costs of government charges on new developments.

The cheaper house was at least in a different town where you pay easy $50-100k location premium. A less-renovated asbestos 3 in the same town sold for $65k after a year on the market.

Idea: How about sending a spectacular photo to the Sunday newspaper segment called Homehunt in The Australian, where they put photos and small descriptions in of property from every state?
We told the agent to do that at the start of the time he had it (which was about 6 months) and I ended up just renting it out. I gave him a copy of the Australian with that segment in it and all.

The agent actually advised strongly against the 'interesting' angle. The house used to be a funeral parlour, or doctor's house if you ask the less squeamish. Hand built by the doctor whose name is on the street sign out front. We put in a doorway a few years ago and there were handprints and fingermarks all though the mud holding the stones together :) I've had other people say there's heaps of ghost chasers out there and a country funeral parlour would get snapped up fast.

Given this same agent has an unhealthy fixation with sheds (houses for sale around here tend to start with 5-10 photos of the shed and garden and end with one bad photo of the lounge and none of the rest of the house) and radically changes listing prices depending on what side of the town your house is on (independant of all other factors) in a town barely 2km across, combined with the huge commissions he charges, I am now of the opinion he's quite incompetant and would never, ever use him as an agent in the future. The other local agent at least uses correct spelling and puts photos of the kitchen/bathroom/lounge/bedrooms before photos of the yard.

I'm getting different responses through Gumtree now the house is clearly marked as tenanted. Seems a lot of people want a retirement or country house for 'later' and are fine with someone else paying for it for a year or two first.

Talk to some of them instead of judging them and you might be surprised how incredible that they even have any will left to live. Weaker people would have killed themselves a longer time ago.

Some people would say that they would be better off killing themselves. Not only would they not have to deal with their past, and deal with the barrage of negative emotions and circumstances, but they would be at peace...?

Not that I'm suggesting that or agree to that...however I have little patience for people who have no inclination to get out of the same cycle that they live in every day if it is not what they want...

i had a letter a couple of weeks back from one of my vendor finance purchasers. i was called all sorts of things and blamed, as the evil property owner, for the situation she is in. waffling on about how she has had to do without and asking if i want to throw her and the kids out into the street.

let me see ... when she applied, 7 years ago, she was an employed single mum with 2 kids and in a steady relationship (not that i took that into account). earning good income, getting centrelink help and child support. had plenty of funds and a good future.

fast foward 7 years. unemployed for the last 6. 4 more kids to 3 different dads. can't afford repayments. apparently it's all my fault.

am i sympathetic - nope. i am empathetic but it galls that people like that cannot accept that it was their own life choices that got them into such situations.

house is being handed back end of this month ... only $3k behind in repayments!

kind of like that girl on 60 minutes last night, regarding the new liver. destroyed 2 (one donor already, destroyed in less than 6 months) by taking heroin but crying a sob story because she couldn't go on the waiting list for another. but listen to her and her mother and apparently none of it was her own fault - blame the adhd drugs she took as a child, blame the system, blame the cynics ... now she's in singapore taking 1/2 her aunts liver in an attempt to live. hope the aunt makes it through.

Its actually the mother's liver being used, the aunt's liver is a fallback position in case something goes wrong.

I certainly have no sympathy for the girl, I do symapthise with her mothers position though.

I also feel sorry for all the donor familes out there who fondly imagine their loved ones donation living on and are wondering if this ungrateful and irresponsible girl got their loved one's organ and has wasted it.

It is the aunts liver being used, they originally intended for the mothers to be used however tests concluded that the aunt was a better suited candidate.

Some people just think the world revolves around them, and that everything bad is because of someone else whilst everything good is a direct result of them or something they are entitled too.

My parents have a wall with graduation photos on it: grad photos of them, and us 3 older kids. I have a younger sister who sees this as an insult directed at her (because she dropped out of school in yr 11 and hasn't gone onto graduate from uni), and constantly winges how it is 'unfair' for my parents to display those photos like that. She cann't get her head around the fact that it has nothing to do with her in reality, but rather a display of pride in those who DID choose to go on and get tertiary education - and that she had a choice, as did we all, if she is unhappy with that choice, she has to look no further then herself - NOT try and drag down those who made a different choice to make herself feel better about her decisions.

Back