Wealthy migrants pricing locals out of Sydney property market

Some more research to back up what I've been saying for years. Australia's policy of high skilled immigration leads to higher house prices. When there is a shortage, the available properties flow to the wealthiest people.

And... Steve Keen admits there is a shortage. Sorry bears, your idol has fallen. He has capitulated on the shortage issue, after previously capitulating on the possibility of a 40% crash. Who is the bear idol now? :D

Keen has nothing on some guy in the UK who's estimating 80% drops in the stock and property market for GFC Mark II

Keen has nothing on some guy in the UK who's estimating 80% drops in the stock and property market for GFC Mark II

I say it's going to drop 100%, and we're all going to end up smoking holes in the ground. There! I win. Does that make my prediction any more likely because I'm predicting 100% drops?

I say it's going to drop 100%, and we're all going to end up smoking holes in the ground. There! I win. Does that make my prediction any more likely because I'm predicting 100% drops?

I'm predicting 110% drops....:D

<that is probably my dumbest post to date...>

Boods

This is a great forum. Especially at 12 midnight.

I have never been a fan of Professor Keen. If he can get away with the things he says then you folk can say what you damn well please.
I have not heard of Edwards but the media and econmists will sayanything to sell papers.

Ouch!.....that is bit harsh.....
lol maybe, but that's life is'nt it?
To say that young people here have no opportunities for work and education in Australia is absurd.
What they don't have is the migrant mentality.
There's much research to prove that when people move, they develop an attitude of "I'm here to make a go of this" which is less likely to be the case had they stayed put.
Education is not only cheap, but free for those who want it in this country.
And you can even get paid to learn!
There's no reason for locals not to be skilled other than pure choice with few exceptions.

To say that young people here have no opportunities for work and education in Australia is absurd.
There's much research to prove that when people move, they develop an attitude of "I'm here to make a go of this" which is less likely to be the case had they stayed put.
There's no reason for locals not to be skilled other than pure choice with few exceptions.

Well said.

In fact, when I hear some parents say their kids spend all their time playing computer games and sms'ing, and they can't get them to eat healthy food, I just have to think of many of the migrant families I know, who don't have that problem.

Originally Posted by WinstonWolfe
Well said.

In fact, when I hear some parents say their kids spend all their time playing computer games and sms'ing, and they can't get them to eat healthy food, I just have to think of many of the migrant families I know, who don't have that problem.

Interesting, isn't it.

Very interesting.

I'm classified as an immigrant in Japan and guess what. They say the same thing here about there kids compared to others. I hear all the time how do you get your daughter to eat everything and sit down when asked. My reply is a simple I'm Australian and that's how I was brought up. Very contrary to some of the 'aussie' bashing on here.

Very contrary to some of the 'aussie' bashing on here.

Australia vs Japan

- obesity rate : Australia 7x Japan's

- maths and science proficiency global ranking: Australia 13th, Japan 2nd

- annual litres of pure alcohol consumption per capita : Australia 9.2litres, Japan 7.4litres

- or how about any of the values and lifestyle choice indicators below:

cardiovascular disease
recreational drug use
mental illness
divorce
intergenerational welfare dependency
child abuse
economic current accounts

Japan would obviously be better off if they modeled themselves on Australia's superior and secular ways.....

Very True.

WW,

Sometimes it pays to look a little further than the numbers. We could go backward and forwards with different facts and stats but prefer to base mine on what I see every day.

1) Australian obesity rate is definitely higher but on the other hand japanese suicide and underweight rate is higher. Body image in Japan from my experience has more influence than in Australian culture. Women will find it hard to get employment in a number of industries if they don't fit a certain size of uniform or dress code. This has led to daily bombardments of diet programs and numerous women starving themselves. A recent study of Japanese school students showed that aneroxia is considered western thinking and you can not be too skinny.

2) Ask any foreigner who has taught in Japan and they will tell you how the Japanese manipulate these figures. What would your result be like if given a practice test that is the same as the real test you will take the following week. I see primary school kids dropped off at cram schools after school finishes and they stay there until 10pm or later at night. In my area the principle cancelled school vacation/holidays and students were made to come to school and study because the school ranking had dropped one place. Education in Japan is controlled like a military regime and students regularly commit suicide because of the pressure placed on them.

3) The figures for alcohol consumption are another perfect example of manipulation. When in Oz I see the majority of drinkers drinking beer of about 5% alcohol but when in Japan most of my friends both male and female drink sho chu from 20% to 50% alcohol. They only need a few small glasses to be totally smashed. Anyone who has lived in Japan will admit they have openly seen more drunks on public transport or walking around the streets in Japan than in OZ.

Drinking is more of an acceptable culture in Japan than in OZ and getting drunk with your boss or fellow workers on a daily occurrence after work is openly encourage. I'm yet to meet any person arrested let alone fined for being intoxicated on public transport or in a public place in Japan but know a few who have in Oz. On the other hand get caught drink driving and you could quite easily be fired and shunned. Drink driving is an acceptable excuse for divorce because of the shame it brings on the family and many cases are well documented.

I could go on with numerous situations about how the Japanese welfare and social systems are so inadequate and behind the times but would only bore you. I have had the experience of living in quite a few countries for extended period of times and I can assure nothing comes close to replacing oz as number one. Australia definitely has some problems but other countries seem to have a lot more. I might be overseas now but every time I return to oz it is refreshing, although sometimes it does seem to be getting like a quite a few other countries with more problems.

One thing I don't miss about oz is the aggressive culture that appears so apparent on the streets at night and in night clubs. Japanese on the streets or in nightclubs and events when drunk mostly appear placid and harmless with no aggro but unfortunately the same can't be said about people drunk in Oz.

unfortunately - it's the boredom and yob culture that breeds the violence, whereas Japan is GOGOGOGOGOGO so when they get drunk, it's time to be silent and reflect a little.

that was what a friend of mine told me when doing business in Japan.

One thing I don't miss about oz is the aggressive culture that appears so apparent on the streets at night and in night clubs. Japanese on the streets or in nightclubs and events when drunk mostly appear placid and harmless with no aggro but unfortunately the same can't be said about people drunk in Oz.

I too have had my fill of travel and living overseas. And no country with so much natural wealth, beauty, and opportunity, has as much unwarranted apathy, aggression, and ignorance as Australia.

In my experience, the lesson of Australia to the rest of the world, is that the devil provides work for idle hands....especially when spawned by government.

That deserves to be bashed, and then some...

Back