Website Design Advice

Hey hey,

I'm putting together the website for my business. Now this isn't going to be the most comprehensive first post, but what sort of features do you like websites to have?

The obvious is name and number, but anything that stood out for you when visiting a site, a function, or look?

This one is to promote the different services (MB, trusts, conveyancing, painting, plumbing, renovations, etc.) so i was thinking having:

- About Page
- Trades Page
- Services Page
- Contact Page
- Pictures/Videos?

Or would a simple 2 pages (about/all services) be best. I'll post up some examples of what I mean, just haven't had a chance to put it all together just yet.

I did my own website using Wix.com - so easy to use.

Have done a few now, make sure it's fast to load, no flash and no background music, makes site slow to load and pisses people off.

Thanks,

I'm going through these Joomla Templates tomorrow: http://www.joomla24.com/
Have my mate who is a pro helping me out. Actually have a few pros helping me out for free.

They all tell me to find a site I like and just copy it, thing is I haven't found any that do what I want to do. All the property group websites I've seen are terrible.

Thanks,

I'm going through these Joomla Templates tomorrow: http://www.joomla24.com/
Have my mate who is a pro helping me out. Actually have a few pros helping me out for free.

They all tell me to find a site I like and just copy it, thing is I haven't found any that do what I want to do. All the property group websites I've seen are terrible.

Doesn't have to be property group, can be completed unrelated but have a design / layout you like and can reuse

Hey hey,

I'm putting together the website for my business. Now this isn't going to be the most comprehensive first post, but what sort of features do you like websites to have?

The obvious is name and number, but anything that stood out for you when visiting a site, a function, or look?

This one is to promote the different services (MB, trusts, conveyancing, painting, plumbing, renovations, etc.) so i was thinking having:

- About Page
- Trades Page
- Services Page
- Contact Page
- Pictures/Videos?

Or would a simple 2 pages (about/all services) be best. I'll post up some examples of what I mean, just haven't had a chance to put it all together just yet.

Copying a site is illegal unless you own the template or have bought it from somewhere like template monster, learn and use wordpress/CSS if you want something custom or pay a designer.

Stay away from Joomla if you want something that looks half decent that is functional.

I would use a wp plugin that shares videos in said services like a how to set. paint, landscape etc which will get more traffic and return visitors.

These would all be a good idea:

- Trades Page
- Services Page
- Contact Page
- Pictures/Videos?

If you want to get more traffic and returning visitors that one day might be a customer or lead for the businesses they need a reason to go back to your site and recommend to friends a simple 2 page website that looks like it was designed by a kid doesn't cut it any more.

I'd agree with James about Wordpress. You really need a site that you can update and add newsy items.
A couple of things Google likes are
1. Regular updates to your site.
2. People spending time looking round your site.

I get on the first page of Google with several key phrases because I provide 3 new posts per week and the average visitor looks at 2.5 - 3 pages

Stay away from Joomla if you want something that looks half decent that is functional.
I went to your site 'Custom Web Design' in your signature and had a look out of curiosity:

Logo looks like it was made in Word 97 WordArt with a blur filter.
Example websites pic that it rotates to is blurry.
The portfolio page examples are a picture, can't click URLs to look.
SEO, Domain & Hosting tabs are broken links.

I could go on... I think you could do with some tips for your own site :)

I went to your site 'Custom Web Design' in your signature and had a look out of curiosity:

Logo looks like it was made in Word 97 WordArt with a blur filter.
Example websites pic that it rotates to is blurry.
The portfolio page examples are a picture, can't click URLs to look.
SEO, Domain & Hosting tabs are broken links.

I could go on... I think you could do with some tips for your own site :)

links are not broken at all maybe clear your history and cache cookies etc if you visited a couple of weeks ago as server was down. as works fine on my end and many others just checked myself.

I agree it could use some more work thanks but I am busy with other sites and its not really a priority as it also has another design on the back end if I felt like changing it but this way gets more leads for me.

anyway question was about his site and someone telling the op to use Joomla and rip off someone's site is bad advice.
:)

Yep its used in a fair number of places... sounds like someone is copy pasta'ing your site? Or the content writer is selling the work multiple times?

Another vote for Wordpress. It'll do well for most sites.
As for professional design or DIY, consider a WP Framework like Genesis or Studio Press - both has integrated SEO functionalities and flexibility for you to change certain aspects of the template/ designs (depend on how much you like coding).

I provide SEO consultation, but not free :D and for a simple website, you can always read.

Also I'm not focusing on granny flats anymore, catering more for maintenance, renovations and the services side of the industry.

Back