We'd All give You Major Kudos For This...

I would be willing to payout major kudos to people who can provide this service to Somersoft members :)

Please dig through your old YIP and API magazines. Find copies that are 5 and 10 years old and more. Scan the Price Guide pages (say 200dpi), at the back and upload jpeg's to flickr or photobucket, and post the links here.

Pretty Please. :D

You know the pages I mean, listing all suburbs in Aus, with median prices, 10 year growth, median rents, yields, all the good stuff.

There are not too many places where you can get this info from years ago.

You'll be loved and long remembered!

If you don't want to upload them, then perhaps we can all pm/email one another :)

Good point Marg. I haven't done that yet on the assumtion that they won't give it to me. For example in YIP mag the information is provided by RP Data, which may well package that information for sale at some price. Which is why I'd be happier for us all to share. But you're right, it can't hurt to ask.

I mean that often you can buy back copies of magazines from the publishers.

For example, you could buy the June issue of any year you choose to give you comparative figures.
Marg

What suburbs you interested in?

Ah, that's hard to answer PB. I'm interested in far too much probably :confused:. Right now I'm interested in the Vic town of Castlemaine. Because in Victoria it's reasonable to like country towns right now, and because in that town of about 8k population one new business will put on over 600 permanent workers there next year.

But what I'd really like is the ability to see what happened in six similar towns that went through this, compared to ones that didn't. I mean I know what happens in theory but I'd like to see the individual town figures, & details like yields etc.

Also I'd like to see actual figures on what happens to fringe suburbs of capital cities, as they grow from being rural town.

I'd like to know what the growth figures for Vic and NSW towns were before the drought. And what the figures were for Syd and Melb suburbs before the drought?

I'd like to see Frankston when it was a complete dud, and as it's recovered. And Geelong before during and after Pyramid building society went bust.

I'd like to clearly see the drivers of capital gains, and yields, in a range of locations. But I don't know what yields used to be.

And I'd like to see some freaky figures on places I don't know much about, and have to go find out what happened. All that sort of stuff, 'cause I know a few things in theory about what happens, the stuff the "experts" tell us. But I'd like to actually know, and get a feel for it myself. And then maybe chat about it all on somersoft :)

I mean that often you can buy back copies of magazines from the publishers.

For example, you could buy the June issue of any year you choose to give you comparative figures.
Marg

Marg I laso hadn't thought that back copies would be available 10 years and more back, but it appears they actually might. Thanks for the sudgestion :)

I've got some 2003/4. Not sure if I'll have time to scan though before I leave for holidays.

Send a PM if you want something in particular though.

If you want to PM me an address I'll rip the pages out from one/two and send them.
That would be easier for me. I'm in the process of clearing out and was getting rip of most anyway.

Hi toe

Unfortunately, the old issues of API mag were different in layout 10yrs ago and don't replicate the more detailed data of the current day tables. Each issue also contained data ranging from median rents through to prices and annual changes in cg and appeared to rotate through the states with each issue. Sources have also changed over the years, with different companies providing data ie: REI's, APM, Residex so you're not really going to build an accurate picture unless you utilize the same source. I've predominantly used Residex (and more recently PDS) for statistics and have subscribed to their quarterly reports for years now, but only in NSW.

I also have several back copies of API with the earliest Victorian data being from Dec 2000- the only data in this issue I've attached FYI- not sure if it's what you're looking for however. Good luck :)

Attachments

• Vic data 2000.jpg
    Vic data 2000.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 93
Hi toe

Unfortunately, the old issues of API mag were different in layout 10yrs ago and don't replicate the more detailed data of the current day tables. Each issue also contained data ranging from median rents through to prices and annual changes in cg and appeared to rotate through the states with each issue. Sources have also changed over the years, with different companies providing data ie: REI's, APM, Residex so you're not really going to build an accurate picture unless you utilize the same source. I've predominantly used Residex (and more recently PDS) for statistics and have subscribed to their quarterly reports for years now, but only in NSW.

I also have several back copies of API with the earliest Victorian data being from Dec 2000- the only data in this issue I've attached FYI- not sure if it's what you're looking for however. Good luck :)

Thank you Jacque, it is a bit helpful. I wonder how far forward we have to come before the info is more like todays ?!

These are numbers published by Residex, about which I've posted many times about how useless they are.
Also API would not post data when it was bad.

from 99-03

[B Prices for the Middle 50% in postcode 3915[/B]
$ 151,500
$ 144,500
$ 95,000
$ 83,000
$ 80,750

Prices for the Middle 50% in postcode 3850
$ 141,000
$ 97,500
$ 98,000
$ 107,500