Westpac 4.99% Fixed Rate is Back

Duhh what ??

come on pls, if you were much better at predicting rates than others, you'd be sitting on your boat in the Bahamas working out how to get better than 300 gallons an hour from your Citation.....................

we all make calls on stuff with the data we have AT THE TIME.

Hindsight sometimes makes the data we decided with INVALID, but the actual decision made is still very valid.

ta
rolf

Thanks Rolf.

And I yes, whilst i got it wrong I don't regret fixing as I had no crystal ball.

Personally, I like to fix. Why? many of the young ones here say? Well us oldies over 45 lived through the 1990 recession where unemployment went to 10% and rates to 18%. Through dumb luck ( i.e. we did not plan it) we had a fixed loan at 13.5%. We survived but a lot of our young friends went under. Marriages failed. Some suicides..

You don't forget that. Hence I don't mind fixing at 7.1% and losing some cash when it goes down as it has, as opposed to letting it ride to 9.1% and being in trouble.

These rates are very very low. Don't look to long.

I use the analogy if this. Ask yourself, if they go lower by say another 0.5% you may save another $2000 in the year. If you lock you give that up so it like insure your portfolio for 5 years for $40 a week.

Regards to all, Peter 14.7

By that analogy, we would only have one bank? Maybe we should pack up and move to cuba?

when you have 4 acting as 1 then it pretty much is anyway. this will be one of the most prominent lagacies that this current government will leave us with

By that analogy, we would only have one bank? Maybe we should pack up and move to cuba?

just give it another decade and we wont have to

maybe we'll get world leading healthcare as well :D

to be fair to the cubans they are actually starting to move in the right direction these days, unlike us

i am considering fixing my loan with westpac...

has anyone managed to get westpac to "price match" 4.99% for 3yrs??

and/or has anyone seen anything better than me bank's 4.99% for 3yrs??

AMP is at 5.04% (comp Rate 5.53%) under affinity package but ME is the standout.

I hate to say it, but good luck with that. It's tough to get Westpac to price match on variable rates, I don't imagine them being that generous on fixed.

Westpac has announced their 4.99% 2yr fixed rate is ending tomorrow. If you want to take advantage of it, you need to get on the phone right now!

yeah my contact at westpac said i had 0 chance of negotiating with the rates going up tomorrow. he reckoned if i asked last week i might have got it..... ahhh, hindsight.

got it locked in at 4.99% tho. spent 45mins on hold to the mortgage centre until i managed to get a hold of my contact on mobile. must be quite a few people locking in today!

yeah my contact at westpac said i had 0 chance of negotiating with the rates going up tomorrow. he reckoned if i asked last week i might have got it..... ahhh, hindsight.

got it locked in at 4.99% tho. spent 45mins on hold to the mortgage centre until i managed to get a hold of my contact on mobile. must be quite a few people locking in today!

Very unlikely that you would have got it last week either.

Regards

Shahin

Typical action from a monopoly trying to be a price maker. They will screw everyone else, and maybe offer a 'price match' with the other majors/lenders when they have a large deal. See it all the time.

Very unlikely that you would have got it last week either.

Regards

Shahin

i think it was the branch just saving face when they could not match it. With the swaps moving up 20 points in the last couple of weeks you would imagine that other lenders are looking closely at their fixed rate pricing.

i think it was the branch just saving face when they could not match it. With the swaps moving up 20 points in the last couple of weeks you would imagine that other lenders are looking closely at their fixed rate pricing.

Correct.

3-5 yrs swaps all up 20+ bp since the beginning of the month.

Looking very closely. Very closely indeed.

Back