Westpac Bank Managers

It seems Westpac is "bringing back" the local bank manager as they had in the 80's.
I met some guy who told me he the manager.
I replied "yeah right!", but it seems he actually is lol.
What they are (in theory) doing is moving the decision making down the chain to the local branch and given them a bit more flexibility.
Which means you can negotiate (not that I ever stopped) your loans.
Time to network folks...

I met my new next door neighbour on Sunday and low and behold he is the CBA bank manager for Maylands branch... time for wine and dinner parties with the neighbour!!!!

Thats taking a page from a few other lenders' books. What they'll end up doing is having an internal calculator to ascertain how valuable you as a client are.
Bearing in mind their salary bonuses may depend on the overall profitability of the branch.

Good luck to you nonetheless.

Thats taking a page from a few other lenders' books. What they'll end up doing is having an internal calculator to ascertain how valuable you as a client are.
Bearing in mind their salary bonuses may depend on the overall profitability of the branch.
Good luck to you nonetheless.

For those who have trouble stringing a few sentences together it makes no difference.
For those who are lazy, it also makes no difference.
For those who rely on someone else's opinion, it still makes no difference.
For those who can put together and negotiate a business case with conviction, it makes a big difference. Including someone who does it on a third party's behalf.

They are in the biz of selling money, and guess what? They want customers.
Are you afraid of a "calculator to ascertain how valuable you as a client are."?
I think this could be an opportunity to get back to real "relationship banking".
Till the next fad in a few years time comes along of course.

I guess they could call them the Branch General Manager or Branch Chief Executive but really the title is useless and they cant approve anything merely psuh it up the line for someone with a lesser title to approve or decline.

I guess they could call them the Branch General Manager or Branch Chief Executive but really the title is useless and they cant approve anything merely psuh it up the line for someone with a lesser title to approve or decline.

Exactly Qlds007.

NAB had the same system with their personal Bankers for home loan customers. It made the customer feel importanat fro a while, but that's about it

I had a westpac branch manage sign up a client's docs recently. He upsold them to the premier advantage package, and made out he was it and a bit.
He forgot to date the docs, or complete the discharge form correctly, and his friends at the Westpac mortgage processing centre in Adelaide binned the docs and got the client out again for another sign up. Bank managers my bum.

Its a good idea to flatten the management structure a bit, and fatten the margins.

Im told wont have much of a say in credit or pricing discretion, still centralised, though common sense things like say 100 bucks worth of overcharged fees etc will now be at branch discretion.

ta
rolf

It seems Westpac is "bringing back" the local bank manager as they had in the 80's....

They have always been there as far as I know. I had a good relationship with my local branch manager a few years ago who would go to any length to help me. Se was at Westpac and I don't think anything has changed, they still have the local bank manager or branch manager.

So what happened to the brokers who "brokered" deals between parties?
Are you now a bunch of form fillers?
The screen gives a number, and you just point to it in front of your customers and say "see?" ?
Have you ever spoken to a banker who has the power to make decisions?
Or do you just talk to your aggregator BDM, who also just "pushes it up the line".

It seems many people confuse the "personal manager" of "loan officer" or whatever BS they call themselves from those who make the decisions.

Rolf I doubt there will be all that much pricing discretion (unless it's up), but I do believe that the history of the client will be given much more consideration.
Never in the last 20 has my taxable income been >40k but I still get loans.
How do you brokers think that happens?
I've had *real* brokers get me loans, and I got others myself.
I've had a broker say to a BM "I'm telling you he's good for the money, If he cant get a loan for a shitty 250k I'm retiring tomorrow." after his objections to <30k income ~500k existing loans, to a 250k loan. Of course he did the loan. That was a good broker, and I was only present because he called my bluff.
Long before the days of no-docs and 10% was considered barely enough deposit for anything (early 90's), I borrowed 180k for a biz with no cash, income of <20k, and less than half of that in equity and a 60k RIP loan (vacant land!).
And I managed to get a 10yr loan when everybody else was offering 5 max and would'nt budge. Including the bank I eventually did the loan through.
How do you think that happened?
By talking to a screen? An aggregator BDM? A "loans manager?"
No chance! I worked my butt off to get that loan.

A broker used to be someone who acted on your behalf.
Nowadays it seems to be someone who fills out forms, and adds another 3 layers to the process.
Banks at first seen them as an alternative and cheap distribution channel, but now they are cannabalising it by setting up there own franchises and trying to regain control over their distribution.
Personally I think it will backfire as they won't get quality recruits. Only ex employees and inexperienced wishful thinkers.
But there is much weeding out to be done, as just like other industries it's very over-supplied.

And yes I'm just about to be an MFAA member ftr.

So what happened to the brokers who "brokered" deals between parties?
Are you now a bunch of form fillers?
The screen gives a number, and you just point to it in front of your customers and say "see?" ?
Have you ever spoken to a banker who has the power to make decisions?
Or do you just talk to your aggregator BDM, who also just "pushes it up the line".

It seems many people confuse the "personal manager" of "loan officer" or whatever BS they call themselves from those who make the decisions.

Rolf I doubt there will be all that much pricing discretion (unless it's up), but I do believe that the history of the client will be given much more consideration.
Never in the last 20 has my taxable income been >40k but I still get loans.
How do you brokers think that happens?
I've had *real* brokers get me loans, and I got others myself.
I've had a broker say to a BM "I'm telling you he's good for the money, If he cant get a loan for a shitty 250k I'm retiring tomorrow." after his objections to <30k income ~500k existing loans, to a 250k loan. Of course he did the loan. That was a good broker, and I was only present because he called my bluff.
Long before the days of no-docs and 10% was considered barely enough deposit for anything (early 90's), I borrowed 180k for a biz with no cash, income of <20k, and less than half of that in equity and a 60k RIP loan (vacant land!).
And I managed to get a 10yr loan when everybody else was offering 5 max and would'nt budge. Including the bank I eventually did the loan through.
How do you think that happened?
By talking to a screen? An aggregator BDM? A "loans manager?"
No chance! I worked my butt off to get that loan.

A broker used to be someone who acted on your behalf.
Nowadays it seems to be someone who fills out forms, and adds another 3 layers to the process.
Banks at first seen them as an alternative and cheap distribution channel, but now they are cannabalising it by setting up there own franchises and trying to regain control over their distribution.
Personally I think it will backfire as they won't get quality recruits. Only ex employees and inexperienced wishful thinkers.
But there is much weeding out to be done, as just like other industries it's very over-supplied.

And yes I'm just about to be an MFAA member ftr.

PB, I don't agree fully with you with my experience (short as compared to yours). I went to different banks for my PPOR loan and everybody was checking my records. They couldn't find much history as I had migrated to Australia only less than 2 yrs and they were turning me down. Then I got this MB, who came to my house in the evening with his laptop and showed me 100s of loan products from different lenders along wilh the Pros and cons for each and helped me in getting the loan. He also told me about his trail commissions he will be getting from the lenders.
Then for my 1st IP when no bank (including my salaried account holding bank which is CBA) agreed to give a 95% loan, a MB helped me in getting it from CBA. When I asked him why the bank refused to give me the loan when I asked them directly....he told me that the local branch people didn't know their bank criteria correctly for 95% loan.
There are lot of other stories I know about.....but later.:(

Regards
Sanjay

Sanjay, if you read what I posted you'll realize we are both saying the same thing:
ie You were'nt speaking to the right people at the bank. And most MB's & bank staff out there are included in that bunch. imo.
In the late 80's-early 90's brokers did'nt do big 4 loans (or at least I was'nt aware).
So I had to learn to negotiate around the pompous low level bank staff who thought they were kingsheet. Their attitude was "I got it, you want it, now beg and I'll consider it."
Mine was "You need to sell it, and I want to buy it. If you don't sell any, you dont get paid."
Some even refused to let me sit down at their table. I could whinge or get on with it.
In the 80's i also realized that there were a few "tiers" of banking. The home loan plebs, the big boys, and the big kahunas. I admit I was lucky to have been around a few "big boys" and they were nice enough to allow me to attend their meetings with banks managers.
The first time I was so shocked I could'nt say anything until we were in the car for 5 mins, then barely muttered "I can't believe you said that to that senior bank manager" after a long and pretty tough negotiation for a 2.5mil loan for a shopping center. Boy if I had a mobile phone those days...
I'm sure there's a few people here that know what I'm talking about.
But then times changed and it was much easier to use brokers as bank staff was no longer able to approve loans. And those that did were shuffled around so they would'nt get too familiar with the customers. And since credit was loose & easy it did'nt matter anyway.

But don't forget the interest rate is just as important, as just about anyone can get finance at usury rates.

Ironically I'm about to become an MB myself, though a little different to most.
Interestingly the course says "if you don't think the prospect will get the loan, politely decline and tell them you can't help them".
Which is probably a contributing factor of this situation, as i don't think many MB's know all that much about financing & investments, and even less about negotiating. They pay a franchise fee, and it's "Go get'em Tiger!"

Last edited:
I have been submitting loans to a Westpac branch manager for about 2 years now. It is much easier dealing with one person who can fix problem and make decisions than dealing with the broker unit.

My manager is also able to get large discounts which the broker unit can't match. Its so much easier.

Its a good idea to flatten the management structure a bit, and fatten the margins.

Im told wont have much of a say in credit or pricing discretion, still centralised, though common sense things like say 100 bucks worth of overcharged fees etc will now be at branch discretion.

ta
rolf

The Bank Managers have been given authority to approve pricing requests on mortgage lending & deposit interest rates. Westpac has invested heavily in their new 'Westpac Local' model and as someone mentioned earlier - bringing back the local Bank Manager that can get things done on the spot for our clients.

Not all branch's are operating under the new model yet so you may not have a Bank Manager in your local branch just yet - but this will be changing in the near future as more branch's are being rolled out every day.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on automating their systems with huge spending profiling software systems.
Do you really believe the Banks just going to let someone ignore them and go back to the bad old system?
With out naming names I know one lender who will not be going back after they "let go" one credit team (8 people) for doing favours.

The other problem I see with this is why would the Bank manager not be wanting to get promoted to a better Branch, higher paid position.
A local branch manager who actually sticks around !!:confused:
I remeber last time one of the big lenders tried this, running a huge advertising campaign and then had to take it off when they were rapped over the nuckles because it turned out the Local Manager for LIFE - was only on a 2 year contract.......

Concentrate on facts, information that can be qualified..Your experience, the quality of the property, your cashflow, why your doing what your doing.

hi albert
you may have a bit of wrong info there or I do.
there has been a shift and for me a bit of a major shift in that there is not one group of 8 my info is 15
and they have moved from one funder and went to another
this caused a large hole filled by another group of 15
in fact from my tenticles there has been a movement of 45 in total and they have moved seats from one funder to another but in separate movementsand has from my tenticles got nothing to do with doing favours
it was to do with not being able to transact deals a commercial funder or even an employee has to do deals and if you don't you get upset.
from my eyes this is the case
there are funder there that require high end people and if you want to fund to commercial you need these people for me its that simple.
the problem we have at the moment is that alot of people in comm funding are seeing there commissions going to the wall and have for some time.
but thats not part of this thread

Trouble is they are working their Managers into the ground, so I wonder at their logevity.

I like the idea of being able to put your scenario to someone who will assess the deal on it's merits rather than ticking the boxes too.

Debbie

It seems Westpac is "bringing back" the local bank manager as they had in the 80's.
I met some guy who told me he the manager.
I replied "yeah right!", but it seems he actually is lol.
What they are (in theory) doing is moving the decision making down the chain to the local branch and given them a bit more flexibility.
Which means you can negotiate (not that I ever stopped) your loans.
Time to network folks...

Back