What advice would you give yourself 10 years ago that you know now?

Nice to see Alexlee back again....for those of you who don't recognise his moniker, he has been one of the greatest contributers (amongst a number) on this forum to date....

Nice to see Alexlee back again....for those of you who don't recognise his moniker, he has been one of the greatest contributers (amongst a number) on this forum to date....
It is. And nice to see you again, too, Pandabites! Didn't realise you'd left the country again - thought you were back in Oz?

Buy as much developable property as I could possibly manage to afford, not buy any of the non-developable sites I ended up with and dispense with my then enormously cheating husband much much sooner :)

He only had a very small short term view of property anyway and put up every possible barrier to buying more.

Hehe, however, my current partner would have only been 19 when this thread started:)

Buy as much developable property as I could possibly manage to afford, not buy any of the non-developable sites I ended up with and dispense with my then enormously cheating husband much much sooner :)

He only had a very small Sorry, but I read this and jumped ahead in my mind and wondered what was very small :p:D short term view of property anyway and put up every possible barrier to buying more.

Hehe, however, my current partner would have only been 19 when this thread started:)

I had to go back and read it again. My mind must be in the gutter today :D.

- Go and buy the book “Think and Grow Rich”

- Read and re read Think and Grow Rich over and over.

- Think before you act.

- Think about how I will make money instead of thinking about how im going to spend money.

Cheers

Mick

buy the house we were renting in ainslie. in fact buy every group house my friends lived in ainslie. particularly the run-down dumps on duffy st and Nandoor st O'Connor. Some day someone will want to buy these and make serious CG..

20/20 is a wonderful thing.

Seriously, would not swap my life 10 years ago. Was just starting a family and blessed with great experiences. May only be entering the market now in my late 30's but won't take us long to catch up with all the property sages.
At least we won't be going through a mid-life crisis and lose it all to divorce lawyers. But then again, never say never. Not never....

Interesting thread.
10 years ago I was just graduating from high school. About the only usefull advice I could have given myself was to repay debt as fast as possible - put your loans on P&I rather than IO.
Life changes too quickly to be able to predict your own future any more than about 1-2years out (if you had of told me 2 years ago I would be living in Kazakhstan in 2010, I would not have believed you, yet I have been here for 17months now!). So have all the goals you like, but make sure you are flexible enough to take new opportunities as they come.
Say yes more!

Cheers Blacky
(and also agree with previous posts about Macquarie Fusion fund - $50k I will never see again, despite being "100%" asset backed).

Great advice Blacky! You never know what great opportunities are around the corner, you just have to be open enough to realise they are there.

In addition to my other post, I also would have told myself 10 years ago to formulate a plan to get the esplanade property I have always dreamed of rather than just keep purchasing IPs and hope that I can get it someday! :D

actually, I had to remind myself what I felt and did in terms of investing 10 yrs ago. So i dived back in last year and guess what ,,,,,HISTORY IS REPEATING

Hi crc,

The IPs CG will help me get there but I didn't really formulate a plan for the CF side of an esplanade home. I guess I was a bit naive and hoped it would work out if I bought X IPs per year in high CG areas. Now I am working on the income side of things to get that esplanade home. A few years ago I worked quite a few extra days but now I am enjoying life a bit more and I feel that I am getting lazy, as I have reduced to 4 days/wk! :D Time to get my mojo back!!

Terah
Your story sounds similar to mine. I was always chasing the CG in the long term - forgetting that I have to a) survive the short term and that b) CF now gives you the freedom to work less.

No point in having 1000's of IP if you still have to work 50+hours a week just to survive is there?!

Cheers
Blacky

well this is where the share market comes in. CF or you can sell IP's, pay down debt and spend the rent!

or what about redraw equity and use it to fund lifestyle?

Back