What causes rents to rise?

It would seem to me that rents increase according to the following (in that order);

1. Inflation (or CPI).
2. Interest rates (i.e. rates up = rise in rents, rates down = flat or slight drop in rents).
3. Gentrification of an area. That is yuppies, cafe strips, etc. This can take a long time to happen however and rents may lag behind propery prices.

CPI has been 3-4% last few years (I think?)
Interest rates have gone down
Property prices have gone up a lot.

From my personal observations (Perth, limited), rents have increased by about 20% in the last 4 years (approx 5% per year).

Is a 5% increase in rent per year a reasonable estimation?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

TheBacon

Agreed Kevin.

Vacancy rates in Canberra had been tight for a while. The supply was increasing, and vacancy rates went from < 2% to about 4%.

The the number of homes dropped by 500.

Rents are rising, and home prices are shooting up.

It's an artificial demand (I think), but that demand seems to be taking prices against some trends elsewhere.

My own suspection is that when supply goes up (lots of apartments coming online, around 500 new home being built in old suburbs), and, subsequently, demand comes down, there may be a downward pressure in some areas.

Supply & demand, as well as interest rates too.

In Rockingham shire I think rents may stay as they are for a while coz there are lots of investors trying to cash in (me included) on the extension of the Freeway & the soon to arrive (2006?) New Metro Rail to the southern corridor.

See www.newmetrorail.wa.gov.au

Currently I see an abundance of rentals in the paper, many, I think are very basic properties. Agents are even spending big money on big pics & write ups now-a-days (This tells me tenants can be very selective with plenty to choose from). If you have some extras, such as secure parking, air con you've got better chance of a tenant.

Sorry, I think I've gone off the track. But, I think this won't help rent increase in this area. Sorry for talking about R/ham, its the area I now most about. (My opinion, anyway).

I also think the socio-economics of an area will affect rents too, but regretfully I think this also means rents are more likely to remain unchanged in the lower socio/econ areas.

KANGA ;)

Kanga,

I think your comments "Supply & demand" are very true. I'm currently working on a project located NW of WA that has seen rents go from $200pw to $500pw in the last 12 months.

Some investors have built new houses recently with mod cons and nice colours they are renting for $700pw.

The lack of rentals and willingness of companies to pay these rents has seen the market skyrocket.

This project is due to finish mid next year and another is planned to start before then but nothing is certain in construction so the swinging pig (Rockingham) sounds like the smarter choice to me.

MLC

Top 10 increases in rent, in order as i see them...may rehash above posts:

1/ Rising house prices: rent eventually catches up, either by rising themselves, or by property prices faling, although the latter is rare. People want to live in an area, but cant afford due to rising prices, so they rent instead, so increased rental demand.

2/ Inflation: Wage increases are often a minimum of inflation, so higher inflation means higher wages, means greater rental affordability. Inflation also causes house prices to increase generally....exception being when it causes LARGE interest rate rises which may have opposite effect.

3/ Infrastructure: Although change in infrastructure less prevalent so wont occur as often as others, its impact is often more evident. Example, a new university = increased student accomodation demand etc.

4/ Interest Rates: Interest rates, not taking into account point 2 above, can cause rents t increase by making 'housing purchases' less attractive. In times of high interest rates, 9%+ is my benchmark, most people (but not us hardened investors) tend to put ff buying a house and decide to either rent or continue to rent. Having said that, IR can often have the opposite effect depending on the reason they are high. Generally though, higher interest rates mean higher rents.

5/ Demographic trend: Was debating whether to put this higher, probably should be. If population growth into a suburb is higher, then generally, rental growth is higher. This however depends on the type of person moving into an area. If its renters, then ok, if its people wishing to owner occupy then rents could stagnate, although the reductin in investment property could also increase rental growth indirectly.

6/ Trendy areas: self explanatory. Current buzz is coastal, cafes, private schools. These cause a natural increase in rental rates.

7/ Development: newer, better, more modern houses will cause an noticeable increase in rent. This will drag up the rent rates of established homes as well.

8/ Tough restrictions in 'heritage' areas: The impostition of tough development restrictions in certain areas can cause house price growth which results in renta increases (see point 1). This depends on the area though. For example, carlton in Vic with its old terrace living has tough development restrictions, which means the area maintains character and price growth. Check out carlton rental yield growth.

9/ Government support: Changes to centrelink, and other govt support (eg tax breaks) for renters can increase the attractiveness to rent. Eg rental rebate increases, or increase in eligibility.

10/ Good investment performance (non-property): If renters have good investment performacne in their portflio, they are more likely to accept landlords request for rent rises. Thic could have a notable impact on rent rates.

I have not mentioned supply and demand because i think that is really a cause and effect of the above points, not a cause in its own right.

Addition to the last point..

An improvement in investment performance (eg sharemarket) may also increase rent as people start to drop underperforming assets (property) and use the capital to purchase another investment class (shares). As the property investments are sold there are less rentals on the market and therefore the rents increase. With a lower performing property market there will be less development (eg units) flooding a market and pushing rental down.

I with the simple supply and demand.

All the others stated above are marginal.

Case in Point: My Home, Surry Hills Sydney.

1996. The next Paddington. Extremly close to CitySome Housing Comission, lots of warehouse and Run down terraces. Grungy with a few cafes and no nightlife other than pubs. Lots of Tenants. Predominently Gay, Yuppies and DINKS. Variable income. Mostly youg professionals level.

2005. Ultra Trendy, Designer Precinct. Extremly close to City, Upmarket Terraces and old Warehouses converted to Apartments, Many of the Best Restaurants in Sydney.
High Income Earners. Prodominently Singles & DINKS & Professionals with One Child Families.

Valuesincreased by 150%

Demand increased from wealthier tenants

Supply increased from boom.

Nett resultRents have been stagnant for 4 years because of the property boom turned a lot of old rag trade warehouses in trendy apartments.

Other adjacent Suburbs starting to get in on the act.

Renters become Owner Occupiers themselves because they can afford to.

Interesting analysis dont your think?

Peter 147

Having writen the above maybe the SECRET TO PROPERTY INVESTING is to predict the next suburb that will experience higher demand than supply and with limited ability to add supply quickly?

Any comments?

Peter 147

Peter 147 said:
Having writen the above maybe the SECRET TO PROPERTY INVESTING is to predict the next suburb that will experience higher demand than supply and with limited ability to add supply quickly?

Any comments?

Peter 147

I would add to that, predicting why a suburb/area will experience higher demand, and from whom.

In my view, it's all demographics and psychographics — who will buy/rent in a particular suburb, and why? Providing the answers to these questions in a rental property(ies) means providing that which these people will pay for.

Just my $0.02. :)

Peter 147 said:
psychographics

Please explain, Peter 147

From my dictionary... :)

Psychographics: The study and classification of people according to their attitudes, aspirations, and other psychological criteria, esp. in market research.

Basically, it's getting into the minds of the customer, and understanding why they would buy or pay for something. If you can understand why your target market in your suburb will pay for something, you may get lower vacancy rates, and perhaps even higher than market rents. It's all in the minds of the customer, (tenant).

Hope that makes sense, my explanation is crap. :p

Morning forumites,

just a ramble on supply and demand.
Housing is an essential commodity, everyone needs it.

So population affects demand.

However,
As home ownership becomes harder for many to afford, more and more people now live permanently in rental housing. (Around 30% in QLD).

So housing affordability affects rents.

Governments trying to fiddle with the status quo seems to increase rents.

By increasing rent assistance, centrelink may be even partly responsible...
The Government has increased rental assistance payments by more than $400 million in the past four years. without that, the number of people paying 30 per cent or more of their income on rent would double.

Which means IMO, rents will continue to rise. And without continued rent assistance to keep the balance, Australia might see ghettos appearing.

The general underlying health of the economy is very important.

Last edited:
Hi All

This is an interesting debate.

I not too sure that the number of renters is increasing? You quote 30% but I always believed the level of ownership to rental was always around 70/30%.

Some areas will show higher such Queensland because many people move up and then have to build. Other such as Say Hobart I assume has a very stable population and hence little changes in demand either way.

What we do know is some factors are given:

The birth of child forcing DINKS like myself to a larger home (as we will be in 2006).

Single aged person-housing needs. Small homes, security, assistance, low maintenance.

Childfree couples predicted to be 25% of the population in 2010. (Disclaimer: From personal experience, I think childfree is not actually happening. I think the term child late is more appropriate. According to many reports we are actually in a mini Baby Boom since 2004 onwards.

Sadly, I would write more but little Miss 147 is sick of being ignored. :eek:

Peter 147

This is a good thread with some great ideas.

A little off topic, but along the lines of what Elwood posted earlier, but if we are going to discuss the determinants of demand and supply, this is something I've previously posted.

Possible determinants of the demand for urban land (not buildings).

1. Income - the disposable (after tax) income of prospective buyers. "Demand" means desire backed by purchasing power, not just desire alone.

2. Price - the term "demand" should always be considered "the quantity demanded at a given price".

3. Cost and availability of finance - high interest rates will reduce the amount of borrowings that purchasers can afford, thus depressing the demand for land (not comments re: supply of land).

4. Demographic features of the population - The size of the population (in relation to a given area of land), age distribution, rate of household formation, rate of natural increase, immigration and emigration, geographical distribution, internal migration, etc., will have an effect on the demand for land.

5. Physical characteristics of the site - size, gradient, sub-soil, vegetation, prevailing winds, views, etc.

6. Proximity to amenities - Schools, shops, parks, sporting facilties, transport facilities, etc.

7. Proximity to employment opportunities

8. Rental opportunities - A thriving rental market might raise the value of land above that which could be obtained in a predominantly owner-occupied area.

9. Multiple occupancy - if planning laws permit higher density housing, then the land value may increase

10. Inflation and the expectation of inflation - the expectation of future inflation (or capital growth) will make people less unwilling to pay higher prices

11. Government grants - Eg. FHOG, etc,. The actual outcome (whether or not it is better for buyers) depends on whether it is a buyers' market or a sellers' market, eg. on the elasticities of supply and demand.

12. Re-zoning or the prospect of re-zoning - Huge increases in land values often occur when land is re-zoned from a lower to a higher use, eg. from farming to residential or from residential to industrial. The expectation of a future re-zoning will promote an upward trend in land values, accelerating as the actual re-zoning approaches.

13. Zoning restrictions - the value of land will tend to rise if the amount of land zoned for a particular purpose in a particular area is less than the amount required for that purpose in that area.

14. The state of the economy - land prices, like the prices of other commodities will be affected by the general state of the economy, eg. by the affluence of the population, employment (and unemployment), CPI, and wealth and income factors.

15. Superannuation and retirement schemes - Lump sum payments can boost the market for land as such money is often invested in real estate.

16. Neighourhood effects - Surrounding developments etc. can affect the value of a property. For example, the construction of a busy road, an airport or a factory could reduce land values. Conversely, the construction of a bridge, development of a recreational park, or the closure of a street to through traffic could raise land values.

Possible determinants of the supply for urban land (not buildings).

1. Physical features - the supply of land is affected by phyisical features such as rivers, mountains and land gradients.

2. Density of development - physical limitations on the supply of land can be offset to tome extent by more intensive development

3. Time period - any talk of the "supply" of land must occur within the context of a time period. In the very short run the supply of land coming onto the market is relatively fixed. Over a longer time period there will be some flexibility in the supply of urban land, and the supply will tend to be more responsive to changes in prices.

4. Substitution between uses - even though the total supply of land might be fixed, the supply of land for one particular use (eg. residential) could be increased by transferring land from other uses (eg. recreational and industrial).

5. Allotment stocks - the rate at which the supply of residential allotments can be increased in response to an increase in demand will depend on the size of the current stock of vacant allotments and of the motivations of the owners of those allotments.

6. Speculation - On the one hand it is argued that speculators, by withholding land from the market or by only allowing it to 'trickle through' in small quantities, force land prices up and expolit the end users of land. On the other hand, it is argued that speculators perform a useful role in the urban land market: they assist in the operation of the price mechanism by ensuring that sites are allocated to the highest bidder and thus put to their 'highest' use, and by investing funds and taking risks they faciltate the development process.

7. Monopolies and restrictive practices - the supply of urban land coming forward onto the market at any given time, place and price (as distinct from the quantity of zoned land already in existence) can be affected by the degree of concentration of ownership and / or by restrictive agreements (explicit or implicit) between owners.

8. Development costs - The costs of development and of the projected profits to the developer can affect the supply of urban land. Developers will, of course, attempt to pass these costs onto consumers but their success in doing so is limited by the price elasticity of demand.

9. Administrative delays - Developers frequently argue that a major contributing factor to the high price of developed sites is the time taken to obtain the required approval from many departments. It is also the case that in some instances the requirements of departments can (and have been) contradictory.

10. Taxes and land rates - As an example, high levels of land tax and rates have the potential to discourage people from holding large amounts of land and could therefore encourage them to bring that land onto the market.

11. Interest rates - needless to say, high interest rates tend to reduce the demand for land and hence reduce land prices. However, high interest rates tend to raise the cost of financing development - thus forcing prices up. The net result is difficult to predict as it will depend upon the relative strengths of opposing forces. Depending on the ability to raise rents, higher interest rates also have the capacity to decrease the value of rental property because, if rents cannot be increased, the higher interest rates will reduce the present value of expected rents; and lending money at high interest rates could become more profitable than investing in rental property.

12. Government charges - eg stamp duties. Owners and developers will try to pass these charges on to the buyers, thus tending to raise the supply price of land, but as in the case of taxes the precise incidence (who pays in the end) is not clear (it depends upon the slope of the demand curve, among other things).

13. Death duties - With no death duties in Australia, the need to sell land to pay a tax liability is greatly reduced.

Peter 147 said:

Any comments?

Peter 147

I have often thought the same.

Merovingian said:
I would add to that, predicting why a suburb/area will experience higher demand, and from whom.

In my view, it's all demographics and psychographics — who will buy/rent in a particular suburb, and why? Providing the answers to these questions in a rental property(ies) means providing that which these people will pay for.

Completely agree - there is a certain pyschological element that no statistical means could easily measure.

Merovingian said:
From my dictionary... :)

Psychographics: The study and classification of people according to their attitudes, aspirations, and other psychological criteria, esp. in market research.

Basically, it's getting into the minds of the customer, and understanding why they would buy or pay for something. If you can understand why your target market in your suburb will pay for something, you may get lower vacancy rates, and perhaps even higher than market rents. It's all in the minds of the customer, (tenant).

Hope that makes sense, my explanation is crap.

Makes perfect sense to me.

This whole topic is something that Spiderman examined in this thread.

But to return to psychographics - I think it is absolutely true to say that certain property (types and / or locations) are attractive to consumers from a social-status / emotional well-being point of view.

Mark

Back