What did you used to do?

Isn't it interesting how careers change over the years. Kids are told how important their education is and if they don't get the score to get into the uni course they want, they are stuffed. When the reality is that they will likely end up doing all sorts of jobs they had never even considered.

My story:-
Accounts Clerk.
Door to Door Sales.
Sales Rep (Grocery Industry)
Sales Manager (Health Foods)
Business Owner (Health Foods Manufacturing and Distribution) Almost went broke.
Courier
Business Owner (Event Photography) Started part time in 1978 and full time in 1994

Started of picking up Coke bottles when they were worth 5 cents,then paperboy,golf caddy that was a good job 5 bucks for 18 holes then you went back and found all the lost new golf balls in the afternoon and resold them too the golf pro who resold the again,then plumbing apprentership then small business in plumbing,then stay at home dad and be a school taxi service plus house cook cleaner,been a good life..

Sales Assistant
Tarot card reader (had a website for a while :p)
Public Relations
Event management/promoter
Journalist
Legal Assistant

I'm also qualified as a diamond and gemstone consultant.

Working in PR for a government agency atm. Was initially aiming for a career in journalism but due to the cuts in the sector, decided on PR instead. Will go back to journalism once we're more set up financially and I can have the editorial freedom of working as a freelance writer instead.

Also starting my own business as a migration agent soon.

A Russian astrologist, who says NASA has altered her horoscope by crashing a spacecraft into a comet, is suing the US space agency for damages of $405 million. But, surely, if she were any good, she would have foreseen this event and allowed for it?

did you foresee this as a career choice? :)

No I didn't :p Was during my uni days. I was bored one day and decided to make a website and see how it went. I got a surprising amount of customers but stopped doing it after a while as you really need to be able to commit a lot of time to it for it to pay off. I wasn't familiar with SEO then so was using Google AdWords for advertising which can get pricey after a while.

Part time while at school:
Domestic - family's Commercial property
Babysitter
Domestic - Nursing Home
Woolies checkout/meat/deli
Cafe - dishstacker, etc, in charge of juniors

Full time
Clerk - Building company/Paper merchant
Accounts Assistant - Feritilizer company
Payroll - Aged Care

Part time
Clerk - Soil Test training

Been Self-managing two properties for about 6 years

While at school in Singapore

- bought and sold movies (mainly VCDs in those days)
- bought and sold magic cards, didnt understand how it worked but was bloody profitable

Uni days

- helped a few friends with events

2004 onwards

- joined family business due to dad being ill, was meant to be a short term thing but am still here. we are in food ingredients business, exporting from Aus/NZ and other parts of the world into Singapore/Malaysia, further processing and then shipping off to Japan or China.

- started a promotions company with a friend, did some pretty big events including a national tour taking in Perth, Melb, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and Auckland. Most on SSC wont recognise the names but we were the first ppl in Australia to bring Methodman, Redman and Rahzel to Australia.

- started focusing more on property, close to doing it for a living
- in negotiations to buy stakes in 2 businesses, one an import/distribution one and the other a technology one. both will involve me providing advice and contacts but no day to day work

- plan to buy into a particular catering business too that i know fairly well

i realise this is kind of answering both the past and present questions but was a bit lazy. have never really worked for anyone, dont intend to.

Did all the usual part time jobs while at Uni - bars, boats, labouring etc etc.
Then taught high school (English) for three years. Great job.
Then spent another couple of years doing various things.
Then it was 15 years in the advertising industry as a writer - mostly with MOJO.
Boy, that was a fun 15 years. Everything you have ever heard about ad agencies in the 80s and 90s is true. Ah, the stories I have about those days.
Then I got too old.

Then it was 15 years in the advertising industry as a writer - mostly with MOJO.
Boy, that was a fun 15 years. Everything you have ever heard about ad agencies in the 80s and 90s is true. Ah, the stories I have about those days.
Then I got too old.

*tips hat at depreciator* from one (former) copywriter to another, I salute you

While at school in Singapore

- bought and sold movies (mainly VCDs in those days)
- bought and sold magic cards, didnt understand how it worked but was bloody profitable

Uni days

- helped a few friends with events

2004 onwards

- joined family business due to dad being ill, was meant to be a short term thing but am still here. we are in food ingredients business, exporting from Aus/NZ and other parts of the world into Singapore/Malaysia, further processing and then shipping off to Japan or China.

- started a promotions company with a friend, did some pretty big events including a national tour taking in Perth, Melb, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and Auckland. Most on SSC wont recognise the names but we were the first ppl in Australia to bring Methodman, Redman and Rahzel to Australia.

- started focusing more on property, close to doing it for a living
- in negotiations to buy stakes in 2 businesses, one an import/distribution one and the other a technology one. both will involve me providing advice and contacts but no day to day work

- plan to buy into a particular catering business too that i know fairly well

i realise this is kind of answering both the past and present questions but was a bit lazy. have never really worked for anyone, dont intend to.

M.E.T.H.O.D. MAN! That's awesome! Was rahzel that crazy beatbox guy? Must have been an interesting tour...

In chronological order:

HR Consultant
IT Business Analyst
IT Support desk
IT Accounts Manager
IT Business Analyst
Enterprise Portfolio Analyst
IT Finance and Reporting Analyst
IT Reporting Manager

• COBOL programmer
  • Progress 3GL programmer
  • IT support manager