What did you used to do?

Livestock trader at age 8
Bee Keeper at age 14 (family business, needles don't scare me!)
McEwans (hardware store)
Service station attendant (quit after 6 weeks)
Bunnings (after they bought McEwans)
University tutor in electronics
University tutor in statistics
Half a dozen IT software development jobs
Nowdays I sit in front of a computer talking about mortgages all day

My wife still keeps me around because I'm good at opening jars and disposing of spiders.

- Uni jobs - managed a bar/restaurant
- Traveled for a few years
- Worked in finance for Yahoo! UK
- Public servant in Canberra (yawn)
- Business owner/mortgage broker - best decision I ever made :)

Cheers

Jamie

Lets see:

School
- Primary school. Use to make money trading and reselling stuff, such as oddbodz, and later tazos, magic the gathering cards, then later pokemon everything. Does that count?
- High school. Checkouts/Deli

Study (ing graphic design)
- Factory worker. 16-18 hour days.
- Journalist
- Photographer
- Online store owner
- Graphic Designer

Work
- Graphic Designer

dj premier who is one of the greatest hip hop producers in history.

I'll drink to that! Saw Gangstarr prolly about 8 or 9 years ago now at The Prince of Wales, was awesome!

Grandmaster Flash just played The Espy a few weeks ago, but I didn't go :/.

I'll drink to that! Saw Gangstarr prolly about 8 or 9 years ago now at The Prince of Wales, was awesome!

Look let's be real, Grandmaster Flash was a founder... but I'm just not sure I find him *THAT* impressive. Like eternal props for what he did, and I might pay a cheap show just to see him for the sake of seeing him... But I can think of a ton of other performers that I'd rather see first.

Yeah see, the thing is, I'm not *that* into hip hop. I like it fine, but if I'm gonna spend tre-fitty, I'd rather use the money to buy some beers while watching some top notch rock n roll for free in the Front Bar of The Greatest Pub in The Known Universe.

- Apricot cutter
- Garlic picker
- Chicken shed manure shoveller
- Woolworths trolley pusher
- Service station operator (main job while at high school)
- Pizza delivery (main job while at uni)
- Lotus Notes / Domino developer
- Various other software development jobs (mostly IBM technology)
- Software technical enablement educator (Lotus / WebSphere)
- Software pre-sales technical support (Lotus / WebSphere)

Interesting how some people can't find any job and others go from one to the next to the next.

Shows that if you take any job to start with, having a job at your next interview (or close to) is what often gets you the job, unless of course it's one that requires special skills.

If I was wanting a person to train for a job I'd always take a trolley stacker over the person that's been unemployed for months on end.

And lets face it, it wouldn't be hard to get a job as a trolley stacker.

Back on topic...

Farm work - from age 12 or so
Deli worker
Tiling/painting/stripping wallpaper/cleaning IP's
Pizza maker
Nightclub - barwork (Greece)
Pub - waitress (England)
Private nursing and agency nursing (England)
YMCA coordinator of various programs inc. after school care at various locations (Darwin)
Child Care Director (Darwin)
Bakery - could tell some err... stories about that job :eek: (Israel)
Ironing room - sacked from there :confused: (Israel)
Kitchenhand (Israel)
Various nursing positions

Last edited:
Seriously? That was you? I didn't actually go, but damn, that's cool!

Yeah that was me/us. Lots of fun, i remember having to almost drag Redman off the stage at Festival Hall because he was mucking around and running over time and it was going to cost me $10k. He nearly punched me.

The Auckland show remains one of the best gigs ive ever been to and ive been to a fair few. Sydney was great too, at Hordern.

Look let's be real, Grandmaster Flash was a founder... but I'm just not sure I find him *THAT* impressive. Like eternal props for what he did, and I might pay a cheap show just to see him for the sake of seeing him... But I can think of a ton of other performers that I'd rather see first.

Agreed. A friend of mine brought Flash out the first time he came to Australia, yeah he's a legend and all but a tool and only an average performer. The same guy brought Gangstarr out for the tour Mr Fabulous is referring to, that was a great show.

-Maccas for 4 yrs while at high school(best social life and met most of my good mates)
-Mechanic's helper(servicing cars and minor repairs)
-Welder and was studying to become a boilermaker when I decided that the job wasn't for me (too many black boogies)
-Picked watermelons for couple weeks(hard work in +30 temperature)
-Night club security in Townsville (too many drunk soldiers)
- Night patrol- actually a really cool job except for the anti-social hours also got to carry a gun...
-Nightclub/university security in Edinburgh (that was a lot of fun)
-Store security in Scotland (painfully boring)
-Bar work in England (a good laugh)
-Current job teaching English in Moscow (amazing job and by far my favourite and love being my own boss)

waitress/dishwasher
proof machinist
data entry
mum
self employed manager/accountant/parts manager/run around
day trader
self employed again plus keep an eye on the pm for the properties
plus also part of a handyman business for investors (we only work for real estate agents, that way we get paid before the owner does and I don't have to chase payments)
grandma

Mine's pretty boring:
Building cadet
Contract Aministrator/company whore (screw people for money)
Project Manager
Facilities Manager
Asset Manager

Mine's pretty boring:
Building cadet
Contract Aministrator/company whore (screw people for money)
Project Manager
Facilities Manager
Asset Manager

Doing the CA gig now... who did you used to work for? I know what you mean about screwing people for money... bargaining skills will definitely be sharpened after this role.

Back