What did you used to do?

M.E.T.H.O.D. MAN! That's awesome! Was rahzel that crazy beatbox guy? Must have been an interesting tour...

yeah it was. method man, redman, dj kool of let me clear my throat fame, mathematics who was the original wu tang clan dj and actually designed the famous logo, rahzel who is considered one of the top 2 or 3 beatboxers in the world with his dj js1 who was one of the rocksteady members, dj premier who is one of the greatest hip hop producers in history and some pretty good locals too. 12 or so days on tour with them nearly killed me, what has been seen cannot be unseen. lots of fun though

sounds like fun. Ever used to frequent Teknoscape?

yeah used to a bit to promote some of our gigs. we did mainly hip hop artists but fairly diverse, everything from the above tour to mix master mike of the beastie boys, blackalicious, jurassic 5, dj premier, people under the stairs and some others i cant remember now. even had tommy lee pop into one of our concerts once, he was lots of fun. i take it you used to as well? are you a former dirty raver?

unfortunately the brashness of youth (i was 21 when we started the company) meant we grew too quickly, that tour was just too much too soon. having to work during the day in family business anf then spend many nights on this other business including lots of calls to US to deal with bookers, management etc got a bit exhausting after a while too.

While at school in Singapore

- bought and sold movies (mainly VCDs in those days)
- bought and sold magic cards, didnt understand how it worked but was bloody profitable

Pokemon made me my pocket money. Started with one at 50c, traded it up and sold the lot for $60 end of the month. Every month :D

Some 'sauvvy' guys in my class sold bb-guns, stolen mobile phones, etc. Usually obtained from some back alley in china town.

Uni days

- helped a few friends with events

2004 onwards

- joined family business due to dad being ill, was meant to be a short term thing but am still here. we are in food ingredients business, exporting from Aus/NZ and other parts of the world into Singapore/Malaysia, further processing and then shipping off to Japan or China.

- started a promotions company with a friend, did some pretty big events including a national tour taking in Perth, Melb, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and Auckland. Most on SSC wont recognise the names but we were the first ppl in Australia to bring Methodman, Redman and Rahzel to Australia.

Hell's yeah I know them. Method Man and Redman teamed up and did some great songs around the time DJ Nino Brown became big.

- started focusing more on property, close to doing it for a living
- in negotiations to buy stakes in 2 businesses, one an import/distribution one and the other a technology one. both will involve me providing advice and contacts but no day to day work

- plan to buy into a particular catering business too that i know fairly well

i realise this is kind of answering both the past and present questions but was a bit lazy. have never really worked for anyone, dont intend to.

and the other 10 characters...

yeah they did lots of stuff together but Meth is one of the original Wu Tang members so has been around for 20 odd years. great guy but a bit of a princess, only flies first class and even then only certain airlines.

redman though was a bloody handful. missing flights, getting close to being arrested repeatedly, just a handful.

are you a former dirty raver?

haha, I somehow ended up the unofficial videographer of the Perth 90s hardcore scene. You might find some of my work on Youtube. Met lots of great people and had many great times.

I suspect you know Ravi who is still promoting. I only have one mate who still DJs professionally, he's currently resident at Air.

we actually do though :D , he worked for us on that tour as well. he's doing pretty well nowadays, has i think 4 or 5 regular nights on.

someone else who we used to do gigs with from sydney is doing bloody well too. we started around the same time and recently he did the mariah carey and jacksons tours. doesnt get heaps bigger than that.

nhg nice work with the pokemons! magic cards were the go at the time in singapore, crazy kids used to spend all their pocket money on them, i was happy to be of service :)

the overly strict singapore govt also created opportunities, i think i must have sold over 50 copies of striptease and that demi moore stripper movie which were naturally banned at the time. most of what i sold were legal movies though

nhg nice work with the pokemons! magic cards were the go at the time in singapore, crazy kids used to spend all their pocket money on them, i was happy to be of service :)

the overly strict singapore govt also created opportunities, i think i must have sold over 50 copies of striptease and that demi moore stripper movie which were naturally banned at the time. most of what i sold were legal movies though

There were a few guys just like you at school. LOL. Movies and games, they made quite a bit off me too.

The boss at subway use to chip x-boxes, then my colleagues would provide the games for $5 a pop.

Fairly legit these days. No downloading for me (other than GOT every monday night :D)

yeah it was. method man, redman, dj kool of let me clear my throat fame, mathematics who was the original wu tang clan dj and actually designed the famous logo, rahzel who is considered one of the top 2 or 3 beatboxers in the world with his dj js1 who was one of the rocksteady members, dj premier who is one of the greatest hip hop producers in history and some pretty good locals too. 12 or so days on tour with them nearly killed me, what has been seen cannot be unseen. lots of fun though

yeah used to a bit to promote some of our gigs. we did mainly hip hop artists but fairly diverse, everything from the above tour to mix master mike of the beastie boys, blackalicious, jurassic 5, dj premier, people under the stairs and some others i cant remember now. even had tommy lee pop into one of our concerts once, he was lots of fun. i take it you used to as well? are you a former dirty raver?

unfortunately the brashness of youth (i was 21 when we started the company) meant we grew too quickly, that tour was just too much too soon. having to work during the day in family business anf then spend many nights on this other business including lots of calls to US to deal with bookers, management etc got a bit exhausting after a while too.

Blackalicious, Dj Prem, J5... serious hip hop royalty right there man. Wish I'd known you in those days haha! I saw Chali 2na play not to long ago, just a great performer.

I always wanted to be a carpenter...applied for apprenticeships at the end of yr 12 but didn't get one.

Meat packer at Woolies off and on for about 11 years (some deli work in there too)

Child care worker at before and after school care

Primary school teacher (hated it and left after 8 weeks + 4 year degree)

Painters assistant (my dad was a painter and I often assisted with the prep work for him while I was at uni)

Mitre 10 employee (ad hoc basis) - again family business

Temp at various places including assistant to the Dean of a university, a property valuers office, dog registrations

I've been employed by the same govt employer for the last 12+ years, however it is so large and diverse I could change jobs every 2 years and do something completely different. Been in my current role about 5 years.

My first memory is of catching baby wild goats and taking them home to feed and then selling them as pets . I was brought up on a sheep farm out in whoop whoop ..

Left school at 16 and worked in a shearing gang as a roustabout for a year and learnt to shear . Hated it but stuck at it for a few years .

Also did feral animal control , fencing work , builders labourer , chainsaw work, bouncer , painter , welders labourer and milked cows for farmers on weekends for cash . Loved the farm lifestyle and still do .

interesting to see how many SSers have worked at McDonalds. I applied once and was rejected because I wasn't available seven days a week.

interesting to see how many SSers have worked at McDonalds. I applied once and was rejected because I wasn't available seven days a week.

Applied, was hired, then never given a shift...

Did get a name badge. Still have it somewhere.

I got knocked back for a job at Woolworths...

Pizza maker/cook
Warehousing/Logistics
Property management
Broker

I also have an expensive piece of paper so I can be a teacher, but decided half way through university that there were better opportunities.

Artist - Metal works (1989)
Factory worker (1990)
Site Engineer (1991)
Project Leader (1992) + part-time tuitions
Factory worker again (2002)
Factory supervisor (2005)
Quality Engineer (2008)
Quality Manager (2009)+ property investor

Back