What did your Parents Teach you about Wealth?

i wonder how the level of private investors compares to the level of government supplied housing per country. one hears so many stories about the "council housing" or "project blocks" etc from the uk and usa that would it be too much to assume that we have a high investor level because the government found it cheaper to suppliment investors than supply the cheap rental housing themselves ... and other countries haven't twigged onto this yet?

anyhow - money was never ever discussed in my family, either good or bad, so i grew up very naive of how money worked.

....."Originally Posted by ozperp
Then why are you so confident that you know how many people were investing in IPs at that time?"......

Because all of the previous posts on here indicate that...

Just a guess, but I'd think the reason why there are so few on here that were investing in the 60's and 70's is because they are all dead.:rolleyes:

See ya's.

Ems:

Hey! We are apparently, just got my copy of Your Investment Property and somewhere in there, it says Oz does have a relatively high investing (property) population, compared to other countries, one of the highest I think it said, don't quote me. Tried to find it exactly but it's now hiding. I'll work on this. That is really interesting...why us?

But then, ??? Isn't Australia a country of very high home ownership?

So we are also a country of very high property investors?

Hmm, a bit confusing. You would think it would be sort of one or the other, as if there is a high percentage ownership, there is less houses for investors, and vice versa.

In Euro countries where most people rent and not many aspire to own their homes, wouldn't those countries have the highest amount of property investors, since someone surely must own the houses?

See ya's.

In Euro countries where most people rent and not many aspire to own their homes, wouldn't those countries have the highest amount of property investors, since someone surely must own the houses?

Hi TC

I think you'll find (going on anecdotal evidence based around Italy for me) that those house are in the hands of a "few" rather than "many" property investors, if you know what I mean...

Often been like that for generations. FWIW I reckon we will see more of that here in future as well...

Because all of the previous posts on here indicate that...

Because our parents didn't invest they didn't exist? Strange logic.

So who owned the places I rented in the 80's? One flat I rented in Ryde, the one guy owned the whole block. I used to go to his shop and pay cash every fortnight.

Of course there had to be investors. My inlaws rented a flat at Bondi for over 20 years. I'd like tenants like that.

I learned to save from my mum. She bought up 3 kids on her own. Put the money in the money tin for bills etc. No holidays, very few presents. I'm a great saver and am not interested in frivolous material possessions. She had (still has) a housing commission house. She saved a small amount and lives on the pension and a little interest. From her I learned to own your own home so you'll never be on the street.

From my dad I learned to spend all your money on lotto and gambling in the hope you'll be rich one day.

So the saving bit helped.

Back