what does everybody think of laverton

hi guys

Im from outta state and am wondering what the suburb laverton is like.

I realise it is the last station for zone 1 and could be great growth in the future.

The only thing im worried about is why are the houses so cheap? is it in an industrial area or is it a rough suburb?

Im contemplating whether to buy land in point cook or just buy a house in laverton and knock down later. This has been doing my head in. :confused:

I was down in Melb last month but only visited point cook and really liked it. Laverton didnt occur to me so Im quite interested in what people's opinions are.

thanks!!

loco

Laverton ---- location wise not far from the city km wise.

Its on the wrong side of the west gate though, and you will not find people living there because they want to, but because they can afford to.

It is very industrial, alot of trucking companies there.

To give you an idea of what category i would put these suburbs in...

The desireable Western suburb locations...

Williamstown
yarraville
seddon
Altona
footscray
Kingsville

The undesireable western suburbs locations

Toteham
Brooklyn
Laverton
Wydham vale
Hoppers crossing
Werribee

Thats just my opinion. but doesn't mean laverton will not go up in value...

Laverton is excellent - she's a few hours drive north of Kalgoorlie through some pretty rough country - but a sight for sore eyes when you arrive.

It's only got a population of 13 when the kids come back for school holidays - but boy they make a real go of it.

Compared to Leinster - it's grouse. :)

thanq guys

appreciate it. im scared now of point cook. thanx for the info there almostbob.

thanx

loco

Last edited:
unfortunately altona meadows doesnt suit our budget. we want a new house this time round so we're thinking of buying land first and build later.

2nd option for us is werribee cos we like the hoppers crossing/werribee area. seems to have so many shops around and quite established.

thanx guys

keep em coming.

loco

I have two in Werribee and HC.

From my point of view these suburbs are undervalued. Why??.....look how much suburbs 23-25k out are in the Southeast....

Cheers
Sash

unfortunately altona meadows doesnt suit our budget. we want a new house this time round so we're thinking of buying land first and build later.

2nd option for us is werribee cos we like the hoppers crossing/werribee area. seems to have so many shops around and quite established.

thanx guys

keep em coming.

loco

From my point of view these suburbs are undervalued. Why??.....look how much suburbs 23-25k out are in the Southeast....

Cheers
Sash

Hi Sash

Yeah that was what I was thinking too. I went down to the east and my oh my is it far from the city. Im just wondering why people would want to live on the east. Everything is old and expensive.

loco

There is a stigma attached to the Western suburbs of Melbourne but outsiders (out of staters) don't know this and if they compared the area on its merits the areas in SE Melbourne are sometimes worse and not as nice.

This said it will take time. As an example...who would have thought Frankston would nearly triple in value over 10 years....

As Terry Ryder says...by the time it is in the news papers it is too later. That is why smart investors take the longer term view.

By the way there are decent capital gains also....over the last two years my places have gone up 25-35%....on purchases of 130k and 170k. Trying finding much under 200k now.

Cheers :D
Sash

Hi Sash

Yeah that was what I was thinking too. I went down to the east and my oh my is it far from the city. Im just wondering why people would want to live on the east. Everything is old and expensive.

loco

Laverton ---- location wise not far from the city km wise.

Its on the wrong side of the west gate though, and you will not find people living there because they want to, but because they can afford to.

It is very industrial, alot of trucking companies there.

To give you an idea of what category i would put these suburbs in...

The desireable Western suburb locations...

Williamstown
yarraville
seddon
Altona
footscray
Kingsville

The undesireable western suburbs locations

Toteham
Brooklyn
Laverton
Wydham vale
Hoppers crossing
Werribee

Thats just my opinion. but doesn't mean laverton will not go up in value...
Laverton has already jumped in value in the last couple of years, two years ago you could buy a housing commission on a big block for $170-$180 now you are looking at $280 to $300. You have a 2 Billion dollar commercial and residential development going up at the old RAAF base there. I would have another look, I could be biased as I live in Altona Meadows, but to me it just makes sense, nobody wanted to live in Yarriville 10-15 years, and look at Braybrook. I wouldnt be bagging Hoppers Crossing either, many of the houses down there sit on massive blocks. The houses are sensational are big 1970's,80's numbers, which are coming back in to fashion fast, think retro. Victorian is out, I think Hoppers is a real dark horse.

Laverton is excellent - she's a few hours drive north of Kalgoorlie through some pretty rough country - but a sight for sore eyes when you arrive.

It's only got a population of 13 when the kids come back for school holidays - but boy they make a real go of it.

Compared to Leinster - it's grouse. :)
thats funny! we are going to have everyone outside of buying in Laverton Western Australia.

Cheers
Sash

That's not, IMO, a valid reason why a region is undervalued. Thats like saying inner north is undervalued than inner east/southeast. There's a reason/s why it's cheaper. There may be reasons why the west is appreciating but this isn't the primary one.

Well based on the demand....probably not for much longer.....might be a good idea to talk to people on the ground in Wyndham. You maybe surprised.....but then I might have rose coloured glasses...lol!:D

That's not, IMO, a valid reason why a region is undervalued. Thats like saying inner north is undervalued than inner east/southeast. There's a reason/s why it's cheaper. There may be reasons why the west is appreciating but this isn't the primary one.

Well based on the demand....probably not for much longer.....might be a good idea to talk to people on the ground in Wyndham. You maybe surprised.....but then I might have rose coloured glasses...lol!:D

It must be the piss from last night but I didn't understand or get your point :p:D

Most people want to live in the East, for a whole range of reasons. That's why it's much more expensive.

If they all wanted to live in the West, it would be more expensive.

Supply and demand. Plain and simple.

...also their ability to pay (affordability is still a factor)....remember....no wanted to live in Williamstown, Yarraville, Seddon, Altona or Footscray as recently as 10 years ago....look at these suburbs now!:D

Most people want to live in the East, for a whole range of reasons. That's why it's much more expensive.

If they all wanted to live in the West, it would be more expensive.

Supply and demand. Plain and simple.

Did any one read the report that linking east and west and why is that ?

i think the answer lies in there, and that is why it needs to be linked up.

...also their ability to pay (affordability is still a factor)....remember....no wanted to live in Williamstown, Yarraville, Seddon, Altona or Footscray as recently as 10 years ago....look at these suburbs now!:D

I think Laverton is a long way of booming - a long way.

Perhaps consider nearby (slightly closer to the city) Sunshine, Ardeer etc. These areas have a lot of heritage homes (like Yarraville etc) but some are still affordable to buy and rebuild/renovate/develop (which is happening all the time now) = really you could expect a boom in these areas, in my opinion, within the next 5 yrs. But Laverton, hmmmm, could be a while - it really is a horrible suburb, but location wise, it's only a matter of time and the values will really escalate as new burbs like Tarneit, HC, Trugnanina (all next to it) will just take Laverton a bit further.

If your intention is to buy/build and then go live there, perhaps you should take a looksie first, if you intention is to buy/build and rent out - hmmmm, not a high demand area amongst ideal type tenants (employed etc)...

Good luck

Back