What effect the increase in FHOG have on Market

Not sure if this topic has been posted yet. This specific question anyway.

What impact do you think the increase in the FHOG will have on house prices in Australia.

What happened back in 2000 when the FHOG was introduced?

Will values start to go up soon or will it take a while to have an impact.

What do you think

Found this articleDoubling the first home owners grant? Oh dear!

Here is an exerpt

What is crazy is that people believe that the FHOG helped housing affordability. When the $7K first home owner's grant (FHOG) was introduced on July 1, 2000, median prices for houses in Australian capital cities rose by an extraordinary $32,000, on average in the following 12 months. Clearly, the FHOG translated into higher property prices immediately eroding any benefit. If the FHOG meant to ease the burden on first home buyers (FHB) then it was a resounding failure.

Here is an article from Adelaide Now 15th October, 2008

First Home Owners grant to 'push up' house prices

It might make more houses sell in my immediate area. Since the boom started there's been a lot more houses sitting on the market, the prices currently range from $54,000 to $90,000 with most being at the lowest end.

Consider a single parent or a family with 3 kids, FHBs.

$14,000 FHOG
$3000 Christmas bonus
$4000 state government FHOG

That's $21,000 off the cost of a $54,000 house. Repayments wouldn't be much more than $60 a week, which is very achievable on a pension. If people are even aware that there's such cheap houses available out here, with broadband available now and free schooling, we might actually get some more houses selling.

I just worked out that the 1.4 bil$ going into house prices even if seems a lot of money is just over 0.04% of the total Australia homes value. I guess that on the average 400K$ home is just over 160$.
I wonder if there will be a leverage effect from RE agents and RE industry to get much more out of it.
My opinion is that in the medium-long term is not going to have much effect, also I think that if the Gov. throw 1.4 bil. when houses haven't event start falling I would imagine a 10 times more grants when prices will fall.
A bit like saying they start shooting once the enemy is just in sight, can't imagine the shooting coming out when the enemy is closing and start damaging yourself as well...:eek:

I think this Grant will create a sudden rush for the First Home Buyers in the Market starting from this weekend..especially in the Outer Suburbs where most of the properties are new..or plenty of land available for new dwellings.
Again...demand and supply...demand will be more which will further increase the prices in a short term.

I think this Grant will create a sudden rush for the First Home Buyers in the Market starting from this weekend..especially in the Outer Suburbs where most of the properties are new..or plenty of land available for new dwellings.
Again...demand and supply...demand will be more which will further increase the prices in a short term.

Yes, I agree with that even if probably the rush is not going to be that big as the grant will last at least till june. In any case it will be good for the builder that are reducing their margin these days. ALso in the outer suburbs the supply is not going to be a problem as builder own a lot of land and I am sure they will be very happy from the increased demand to get rid of their supply

Cool hopefully my unit will go up in value

From the News.com site

First-time buyers storm housing market

FIRST home buyers captivated by the lure of $21,000 in new government grants have stormed builders and real estate agents in search of bargains.

Large numbers of first homebuyers are expected at inspections on the weekend.

Real Estate Institute of Queensland chairman Peter McGrath said he had spoken with a half dozen agencies who said they were getting more inquiries about homes, especially at the lower end of the market.

The mini-boom was the most tangible sign yesterday that Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's $10.4 billion economic rescue package was taking effect.

Apart from cash incentives to families and older Australians, the package doubled the first home buyers grant to $14,000 for existing homes and trebled it to $21,000 for new homes.

Renewed interest came as one of the NSW's largest developers vowed not to increase property prices to take advantage of cashed-up home buyers returning to the receding property market.

Landcom marketing general manager Robert Sullivan said they would continue offering up to $16,000 worth of rebates on new house and land packages on top of the increased first home owner grants - giving up to $37,000 extra cash to new buyers.

"We will not be making any changes to rebates we've currently got on the market," Mr Sullivan said.

"Customers out there have been ... looking around and shopping around for the best deals. It would be very dumb of the market to pass on the new grants in a price increase."

For a year developers have been offering their own cash rebates to home buyers to stimulate the market and with Mr Rudd's increased grants, buyers in two minds have been spurred to act.

Cornish Group sales manager Colin Lake, offering 1200 house and land packages in Camden's new Spring Farm estate, said they had been flooded by approaches from first home buyers.

"We've had an instant response in the past two days. The phones have been running hot with younger buyers asking how they can make it work.

"First home buyers have been coming into our office, which is unusual as it's usually only second and third home buyers who can afford a new home. But the $21,000 is effectively the full 5 per cent deposit on a $420,000 package."

Mt Annan couple Greg and Melinda Sinclair have wanted to buy a home for several years, but the trebling of the grant made the decision for them. The public servant and at-home mum to Cameron, 4, and April, 2, are sick of rising rents and want their own place.

"Between the first home buyers grant and interest rates starting to go down, we are finally able to buy a place now," Mr Sinclair said.

"And Clarendon Homes are also giving us another $7000 rebate, so it's $28,000 we will be saving.

"I think a lot of people will jump into the market thanks to the grant, whether the houses are new or used."

RP Data researcher Cameron Kusher is expecting more people will be going to open houses on Saturday and testing the waters.

"It certainly won't be a case of a huge number of sales and a significant decline of total stock on the market," Mr Kusher said.

Sale volumes and auction clearance rates have been well down over the past few months.

I have just been speaking to a R/E agent in Scarborough, QLD who said the amount of calls he has had for properties under 400k has just ''exploded."

He said, buyers started coming back after the 1% RBA drop, and the Gvnt's handout plus no STAMP DUTY for FHB has caused a major come back of FHB'rs.

Interesting enough, the FHBrs were the ones that caused the last stampede on the peninsula at Redcliffe. 18-14 months ago, it was for anything under 300k which incidently drove prices up to 350k-400k.

The market at Redcliffe, well Scarborough at least, I thought had held it's own, but I am told my property is worth 10% more than I thought it would!:eek:

Still: A property is only worth what someone will pay for it.:)

Regards JO

Regards JO

Smorgasbord of new townhouses in Melbourne’s outer east

It seems that every property that developers in my area planned to sell over the next 1-2 years has been dumped on the market now. Will be interesting to see how buyers respond and what effect it will have on the values of my older houses.

It seems that every property that developers in my area planned to sell over the next 1-2 years has been dumped on the market now. Will be interesting to see how buyers respond and what effect it will have on the values of my older houses.

Indeed. What would be useful to know is the postcodes that the FHOG is being utilised in and avoid buying in those areas for...say....18 months.

Otherwise you run the risk of Western Sydney MkII

Perhaps Token. Then again, if 2-3 bedroom OTP townhouses in Mooroolbark were your go, then I reckon you’d rather be a buyer than a seller at the moment – particularly if the government was throwing money your way.

Hi, I know 3 people who are getting the grant. One with 2 girls & a boy I've mentioned before. Husband in 05 told me house prices would go down by 30% in 6 months.

Now Housing Trust has offered them 3 to choose from. She's chosen one old house on a large block about 10km from CBD. Cost $250000.

The green eyed monster is riding on my shoulder. Why didn't the gove help ME buy a house?

KY

Back