What Floor - Please

Hi, All

I am taking back one of my rentals and renovate it. The whole house (apart from Bath/toilet/kitchen) are tiled -- all carpets.

I am going to replace the carpet floor. What is the cheapest option? Laminate?

Thanks for advice

Bunnings has extensive range of different profile finishing timbers, but from memory they are rather more expensive than $10 per room, as I think it is quality timber more like $2 to $4 per metre

Ross,
the18x18mm is it quad and where do you get it from?
Cheers

i think ross is talking about getting a sheet of 18mm mdf board and ripping it down to size. Ring up some board suppliers and ask them for a price. Out of a full 1200 x 2400 sheet you would get about 57 rips (18mm + 3mm to allow for saw blade: 1200 / 21 = 57). Definitely the cheapest way to do it but make sure it's moisture resistant as mdf will swell if it gets wet.

i think ross is talking about getting a sheet of 18mm mdf board and ripping it down to size. Ring up some board suppliers and ask them for a price. Out of a full 1200 x 2400 sheet you would get about 57 rips (18mm + 3mm to allow for saw blade: 1200 / 21 = 57). Definitely the cheapest way to do it but make sure it's moisture resistant as mdf will swell if it gets wet.

Now that's creative thinking, next time I lay a floor
I should pull out that table saw that's currently collecting dust....
Ross, do you cut it at an angle?
cheers

Hi all,

Nomadic pretty much has the right idea.

some options ...

go to the local hardware ...... and pay too much

go to the local cabinet shop in your area and ask them to rip some 18mm MDF offcuts into 18mm strips

buy a table saw (for the same price as some "trim" from bunnings ) and a sheet of MDF and be a winner .. :)

got a photo of a recent one .... the beading is not that clear but you get the idea

000_0257.JPG

rossv

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross, great work,
in your adventures I am sure you would have come accross
uneven concrete slabs.
What do you use to fix them before laying the laminate?
cheers

Hi bv,

it depends.... floor levelling compound, concrete grinder or one can add extra layers of underlay.

it rather depends on the circumstances

rossv

Thanks Ross,
I have actually used all 3 methods
I was just checking in case you have any more bright ideas.. :)
Cheers

Thanks Guys

I plan to use laminate with MDF skirting. I installed MDF before and do not like to install it because you have to bend your back all time (measure, drill, painting, ...) Probably no easy way.

Back