What is a large crack in vanity top worth?

Some outgoing tenants have left some minor damage behind.

A 1500 long vanity has a crack on the vanity top about the size of a hand. It goes through the whole thickness of the top. It is near the basin.

The PM has sought advice from a plumber and they have said cannot buy a replacement top. The top is not fibreglass but acrylic and would appear the only 'fix' is some good old sellastic (not sure how to spell??) or total replacement.

The tenant thinks it is wear and tear and never reported the damage.

There was a fancy hall table fixed to the wall with a matching mirror above. Apparently this fell off and broke during an earth tremor, wasn't reported to previous PM. No damage done to the wall when it fell off with 4 large screws attached. The cost of the table and mirror was $500. I haven't been able to find a replacement.

Some other issues which we are prepared to let go. The PM can't advise on what amount to hold from the bond and would like to know what it is worth to us.

Hubby wants total replacement.

Your thoughts please.

Sunshine

Sealastic would be a short term repair that is really not a repair - and would look dog ugly.

I'd go full replacement.

Hi sunshine,

I've had one of these (cracked vanity top) in the past and it ended up being noted as wear and tear because we couldn't identify what caused the crack. We sought a replacement but the tribunal were not satisfied that the crack was caused by the Tenant. It was suggested it could be faulty material, improper installation, movement/settling etc none of which the tenants are liable for.

I'd recommend speaking with a kitchen/cabinet maker regarding options for repair/replacement as I would assume this isn't necessarily an area of expertise for plumbers in general. As previously suggested by Propertunity is may be covered under insurance.

I'd go as far to say if the matter went it tribunal you may not be awarded any damages if the tenant says that the cause of the crack was due to a fitted item at the property which fell during a tremor.

Sometimes you can (usually with carpets) get a quote for a full replacement, and then claim a percentage of the costs back from the tenant (say 25%) for damages. This may or may not work.

Check how much your excess is on insurance, and if it's significantly less than the replacement costs go through them.

I concur.

Claim $250 from their bond in compensation, blow it on shoes, and then replace the vanity in 10 years in a bathroom make-over.\

Unless you have a photo of the tenants sitting on it or something, very difficult to prove it wasn't an earthquake or any raft of other excuses they will come up with in court.

You'll probably get exactly the same rent with a new vanity vs a cracked one anyway. :)

Matt

Thank you for the replies.

I have contacted my insurer. $500 excess for each as they are 2 separate claims. Only $300 excess if they were contents and not 'fixed', so therefore building excess applies.

They think the vanity would be covered under their glass policy. I am not covered for accidental damage apparently! A case worker will get back to me to verify.

If I claim the hall table and mirror the insurer will need to verify that there was an earth tremor on that date. As we don't even have a date when it broke. Usual story applies, new PM does inspection, oh look what happened but I reported to previous PM. Previous PM has no idea about it. Previous PM by the way failed to inspect the property in 12 months, and I sought, and was granted immediate termination.

Will await instructions from the insurer, and meanwhile the ex tenant is getting antsy for not having his bond back. I have told our PM that if we are able to go the insurance route, that we will be seeking some if not all of the excess, they are happy to do this.

The PM was happy to take it to Tribunal for full replacement, but thinks it is unlikey that we will win, as per DistinctPM's post.

Also, new tenants in 2 days after previous tenants moved out with a rent increase of $40 pw, with cracked vanity!

Thanks again

Sunshine

Back