What is Rendering?

Hi,

We've signed a contract today to purchase our first residential property, and we're now excited and talking about renovations. It's a 30+ year old brick home in Leumeah, NSW. One of the selling agent said it'll look nice if I could get the house rendered.

I have a basic idea of rendering, but could someone explain it more? And is it possible to render a brick home?

What would it cost, say for each per square meter of the house?

Is it something that a newbie like me could learn to do himself, or is it something that should be left to the pros?

If there are photos in the gallery section, of the before/after effects of rendering an old home like ours, would you be able to post a link to it?

Thanks,

Hi,

We've signed a contract today to purchase our first residential property, and we're now excited and talking about renovations. It's a 30+ year old brick home in Leumeah, NSW.
Congrats on the purchase

One of the selling agents said it'll look nice if I could get the house rendered.
I have a basic idea of rendering, but could someone explain it more? And is it possible to render a brick home?
More than possible, its done all the time. It basically a cement (or sometimes acrylic) product that gets slopped onto the walls and smoothed out.
What would it cost, say for each per square meter of the house?
How long is a piece of string? Anywhere from $5000-$20,000, depending on the size of the house and the price of the renderer.
Is it something that a newbie like me could learn to do himself, or is it something that should be left to the pros?
Leave it to the pro's. I usually do most of my own handy work around the house, building decks/retaining walls/ag drains etc but I didn't attempt the rendered retaining wall in my front yard. I give a BBQ a go or maybe a wall in the back yard that's not so noticeable, but not something that's visible form the street. Its pretty much an art form, not like bashing in a nail. Thats my opinion anyway

Oh, and the problems/challenges you have with rendering an old house, or any house that wasn't rendered from scratch.
You cant always get a perfect edge upto the window sills because its sitting right against the brick and you have to tapper the render down from 10mm down to 2mm. The numbers might be wrong but the outcome is you end up with a weak/thin spot against all you windows/doors and the like.

Also you need to remove your downpipes and anything else that's attached to the wall so you can render under them and then attach the back on.

A cheaper/easier alternative is to render the front of the house and the first 1-2m down the side and then just bag the rest of the house. Bagging is just a very thin layer of sloppy cement mix that has similar effect to render but is easier and cheaper.

If there are photos in the gallery section, of the before/after effects of rendering an old home like ours, would you be able to post a link to it?

Thanks,

Photo's
spaced_104_house_9%5B1%5D.jpg

IMG_0645-porch_french_doors2_fs.jpg

Thanks for the replies. From reading your opinion Shady, it sounds complicated. I might get a pro to give us a quote, and if it's too costly, we'll just have to live with one less reno work done to the house.

As I'm inexperienced at renovating, I might just start with the things that are obvious and simple - like the gardens.

i thought this was a non serious question @ first, what is render...

it has been described well, however few notes....

DO NOT try doing it yourself, it is an absolute pain in the A$$ to get it right, it usually peels off and the texture aint right. you can get a pro to render a standard reb brick 3 bedder for around 3-5k.

Thanks for the replies. From reading your opinion Shady, it sounds complicated. I might get a pro to give us a quote, and if it's too costly, we'll just have to live with one less reno work done to the house.

You only need to render the parts visible from the street - you can bag the rest in the same colour.

Cheers,

The Y-man

My mate is a plasterer, and he usually charges around about $1500 per day for sand finished render. Average size house (3x2) will usually take 2 to 3 days, depending upon how many people in the team. You may want to think about whether you want coloured or just the float grey. The latter will need to be sealed and painted. Coloured render is a pain to repair if ever the need arises. These prices are for WA, so they may differ from state to state.
In my opinion, rendering the facade is money well spent, it makes a huge difference to the first impression of the property for prospective tenants/buyers.
Cheers.
Boods:)

Back