What is wrong with tradies??

I am trying to get someone to do a bathroom reno (waterproofing / tiling / new shower screen / vanity, etc) but I am struggling to get tradies to come out and have a look or even return phone calls.

It is a smaller bathroom in a 2 bed unit. I am thinking the job is too small and therefore no one is interested :confused:

This is my first house / reno...is it normal to struggle with tradies???

I am trying to get someone to do a bathroom reno (waterproofing / tiling / new shower screen / vanity, etc) but I am struggling to get tradies to come out and have a look or even return phone calls.

It is a smaller bathroom in a 2 bed unit. I am thinking the job is too small and therefore no one is interested :confused:

This is my first house / reno...is it normal to struggle with tradies???
Don't get me started.......:rolleyes:

Over the last few months, I've called at least a dozen plumbers, half a dozen sparkies and if I could get just ONE of them to return my call, let alone turn up I think I'ld pass out from shock!!! :eek:

We finally got a carpenter to come out and take some measurements for some things we wanted done (after failing to see any of the others we had contacted). He took the measurements and said he would go home and do up a quote. This was for quite a few things, like shelves, wooden gates on kitchen, deck out the back, etc. Never heard back from him. DH chased him up several times, always got the response that he would get back in touch with us later. Ended up giving up, and came up with cheaper DIY solutions. (except the deck - that has been left for another day, for a patio company most likely).

dont get me started on tradies :mad: i would be able to work half the hours that i do if i didnt have to spend half my time a) hearing from tenants complaining that the tradie hadnt contacted them, shown up, b) hearing from owners chasing up quotes etc because the tradie hadnt done what i had asked him to do 5 times c) chsing up the damn tradies to do the job they were asked to do, then to invoice for the job d) chasing up tradies who think that they can charge whatever the hell they like (even when given a spend limit) cause it is just going to a real estate agent and what do they care its not their money so they will just pay it without question. grrrrrrrrr

my frustration is that i will find a good tradie and they will be great for a little while and then they get slack so i have to find a new one.... my sparkies and plumbers are generally pretty good and reliable cause we use them alot, its the other more random jobs that cause the most headaches

I find the random jobs are easy out here, as they're more handymen than tradies. Local builder and cabinetmaker are great too. BUT:

Local electrician however doesn't return calls.
Local plumber is easy to get hold of as most locals have worked out he charges a fortune from sheer hours worked because he's so nitpicky. So if you don't mind getting charged $200 to get a tap tightened he's fine.
Next plumber out took SIX MONTHS to get hold of and I'm getting concerned as my $13k plumbing job is almost at a point it needs doing and it has to be done within a 7 day timeframe despite the huge wait.
And I just took a few months to get a CoC off another plumber.

What part of Adelaide, I can make a call for you if you like. One of my buddies is a plumber presently going through building school. He's very connected and could sort it out for you quite quickly. With a new baby, he's also pretty motivated to work :)

Edit: made the call because I felt like having a chat (he's a funny dude :D) and he's fine with going past and taking a look. He has a bathroom reno this weekend and his tiler is a bit flat out so it might take a couple of weeks for him to free up completely, because I get the impression that you'd like the whole job banged out as quickly as possible so as to be able to use your bathroom.

Anyway let me know the area and hit me up for a number. He's a good capable dude and doesn't let people down. Feel free to give him hell and tell him that I gave you permission :D

Cheerios

Last edited:
Do you ring the right type of tradie?

For bathroom's have a look for bathroom renovation licenced contractor.

Locally we have tradies for new construction and trade companies for smaller residential jobs.

If you are still having trouble ring up the receptionist at a few 'sand ask who they use for handyman/maintenance, plumbing, electrical etc.

Regards
Sheryn

:) Yep I love hearing stories like this too. Sorry Fuzz :(

You wouldn't believe how much work Hubby gets just because he turns up :)

I still can't get over the urge to laugh out loud at BSA or Master Builder's meeting when tradies have a whinge about how tough it is out there and there is no work around etc etc.

Tradies are in short supply

We can afford to be picky, thanks to the a former governments policy to reduce trade schooling. We have a massive skills shortage,and its only going to get worse.

I myself make alot more money interstate, with less headaches too.

Don't forget that until you develope a relationship with these guys, then you are just a number and a name. Maybe they can tell your desparation in your voice, and maybe you are being to demanding without them even looking at the job?

In my experience, if you have any doubts about a customer, you can sometimes tell what they will be like, and you have the right to do nothing, granted they should be courteous enough to atleast call you.

We also spend alot of time quoting, following up unpaid invoices and the like, so if we get an inckling that this could occur, we bolt for the nearest door.

Also, if we are busy, have a feeling that the client will be painfull, or are in doubt about the clients cappacity to pay, we have a tendancy to put a bit of extra fat on the quote, and then prioritise accordingly.

If possible, get personal recommendations, as these are harder to refuse, as somebody has recommended you, and you can't beat free advertising, and you don't want it to end.

Most of all, be patient, not too demanding, or terrorising(make 10 calls to make sure you are coming). You could also try a few inducements, such as "I've just bought a carton of beer, and I need a hand". You never know your luck.

I hope this has helped, I'm working 84 hours a week, and sometimes I find it hard to foccccccus.

Cheers......

if we want better tradies in the country, get rid of the unions. without the unions, tradies need to pull their socks in customer service and quality to stay in business.

Not necassarily so Kero. I'm from Melbourne, which is very staunch union, and recently moved to the Pilbara to make a dollar.You aren't very union orriented here(me neither), but I still see people at work who thinks that the government and the world owes them a living. It's comes back to how you were brought up, and what sort of work ethic was ingrained at an early age. My Dad is a tradie, and taught me well. It's old school versus new school, versus how you were taught!

Where are you working that pays better? I'm in WA, there are plenty of guys here making that sort of money, and more if you want to work hard, and have highly sought after skills!!!

Are you saying my skills aren't sought after?
I have been taught to make hay while the sun shines,
I wont say no to a job,if i cant do it myself I will organize someone else to do it.
There is money to be made being a tradie,you just have to work smarter not harder.
I worked hard out in the central Queensland mining towns for quite a few years away from my family,but now I am lucky to be home nearly every night.
I have a young family and try to spend as much free time as I can with them,

I have friends that don't make as much as me doing one month on ,9 days off.They quit WA as it was to much flight time.
Not much of a life if you ask me,but you have to do that younger in life to get a start.

yeah most tradies try to just rip you off unless you develop a relationship with them (then again) had a painter which i have used like 20-30 times try to charge 5K for a job and then i just ignored him and then he said 3K

come on - u for real :eek:

if i could get working visas - could get a boatload of people to do the jobs for 30K a year working 40 hour weeks - top grade quality.

The way i see in everything is inflated in australia

if i could get working visas - could get a boatload of people to do the jobs for 30K a year working 40 hour weeks - top grade quality.
You don't have to - there are crews of 457 guys working for peanuts as it is. It isn't worth teh hassle of keeping them employed full time/supervising etc unless you have ongoing work. There is a large crew of them moving through Darwin that have managed to sink the price of tiling from 70/m to 20/m. If it's ceramic not porcelain, you might even pay 15/m

You don't have to - there are crews of 457 guys working for peanuts as it is. It isn't worth teh hassle of keeping them employed full time/supervising etc unless you have ongoing work. There is a large crew of them moving through Darwin that have managed to sink the price of tiling from 70/m to 20/m. If it's ceramic not porcelain, you might even pay 15/m

I could use them here in Queensland,its hard to get an Australian out of bed and if you can get a week out of them and it happens to be payday,they don't come to work until the money runs out,
$100 millionaires :mad:

Just to clarify to those people who think I am overcharging,I work for a very low rate,(Lowest in Queensland I believe)
Its just that my work is continuous and no quoting is needed,
I work smarter,and also have the capital behind me to weather the storms.
Others paid my rate go broke in a month,
They do a couple of jobs,sit down and wait for their money,
I just keep working,

I could use them here in Queensland,its hard to get an Australian out of bed and if you can get a week out of them and it happens to be payday,they don't come to work until the money runs out,
$100 millionaires :mad:

Just to clarify to those people who think I am overcharging,I work for a very low rate,(Lowest in Queensland I believe)
Its just that my work is continuous and no quoting is needed,
I work smarter,and also have the capital behind me to weather the storms.
Others paid my rate go broke in a month,
They do a couple of jobs,sit down and wait for their money,
I just keep working,

Painter - with the reconstuction work in brassy due to th floods - there must be a huge demand for tradies?

Back