What is your ultimate goal?

Great thread Chris, its been very interesting reading about peoples goals, hopes and dreams!

I was just wondering, how many people actually have clearly defined goals written down? I’m not talking about visions (wishes or intentions), which are more general in nature. But goals, which are dated, specific, targeted and measurable! (this doesn’t include you Mark because I know you do :D)

I’m sure Julie & Simon won’t mind me using this out of their manual but it’s so true!
Everyone can have big dreams but not everyone knows how to set and achieve big goals. A dream is simply a desire whereas a goal is a plan to take effective action to turn the dream into reality.

They did a study in the U.S. in the ‘50s where they interviewed the graduates of Yale University. Amongst the questions, they asked each of them whether they had a written goals plan for their life.
Ninety-seven percent didn’t. 20 years later, the researchers returned to interview the surviving members of that class. Incredibly, they found that the 3% who did write down their goals not only reported better all found life satisfaction, they also earned more than the 97% who didn’t put it together.

So write them down and read them daily!

Ruby :)

~Winners are people who set goals, handle failure, and never, never, quit!~

Ruby,
Speaking of Brian Tracy, I just wanna plug his excellent book 'Maximum Achievement' again. It is the best book EVER WRITTEN, no kidding. There is so much useful stuff in here, every page has something. I strongly suggest people read this, it will improve your life exponentially.
Geoff,
Interesting about Gerry Harvey. One thing to keep in mind though. He's the only person I've ever heard of (and I've done a lot of research here) that has achieved success with no written, clearly defined goals. I'm talking hundreds of people here. Okay, there are exceptions, but why try and fix something that isn't broken? I like my chances much better of being successful knowing where I am going, than just leaving it to chance.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Hi all,

I agree with Mark. Writing down my goals, especially those on a day by day basis (ie, daily plan) has been the secret to my success so far.

John

Buy my husband a boat!

Yes, all he wants is a lousy boat. But for comfort (mine, he assures me), something around 60' would be OK.

Of course, we'd need somewhere to park the boat, a house to live in when we are not sailing the boat ('cause the cats won't like the boat) and enough money to pay for someone to anti-foul the boat.

Then, the boat would need new sails every so often, the head is bound to block up some time, so we'd have to pay for the services a boat-plumber.

You need to look smart when you sail a boat too, really. Those $20 Dunlop Volleys are OK when you can't be seen from shore, but you really need those USD$200+/- leather boat shoes (which you trail behind the boat for a few months to give them that authentic "used" look).

That tacky tracksuit from K-Mart is fine, up to a point, however, when you are mixing it with the big guys in places where they charge USD$20 for a beer, you must be conscious of your image!

So, he only wants one lousy boat ... how many IP's will I need to achieve that goal and still be young enough to launch "Captain Bligh" in the style to which he would become accustomed!?:eek: :( :p

It's interesting looking at your goals and thinking how they have/haven't changed over the years. The interesting thing about goals is that once you set them you have 90% more chance of actually achieving them. (I don't base this on any scientific evidence whatsoever!).

When I bought my first house that had been my goal for a couple of years and I didn't even believe I would ever do it.

I have a huge list of things I'd like to achieve. My main problem now is maintaining motivation and focus. There are so many areas that are important such as:

1. Relationships with friends, family and loved ones

2. Health - nothing is important if you don't have your health

3. Creativity - the way you express yourself as in music, dance, art etc

4. Finance - Cashflow, assetts, management of these

5. Orgainisation - How you organise your life

6. Quality of life - which means the athestics of life, having quality experiences, living the lifestyle you want

7. Spirituality - finding peace of mind, meditation, finding yourself, helping others, being charitable.

8. Work - Finding you niche in the workplace or career wise or business wise.

I think its like a wheel that needs to be in balance or your life is in disorder. Has anyone used or heard of life coaching? I would be interested what people's experiences have been.

Cheer!

Landholdings. :p

my goal is to get to a place where I don't have to worry about me or focus on me. To have enough resources to start looking outside of my life and use my resources for the benefit of others - whether that's material things or experience and wisdom. You get to a point in life where the accumulation of possessions or status doesn't mean anything...as you get older, you care less about what others think and you can be as mad and daft as you want (you will recognise me...trust me!).

I get the biggest thrill out of trying to help others make things work in their lives....so I am working hard to own 100% of my time and not have to give it to an employer...unless I choose to.

G'day all,
My dream seems pretty boring compared to all of those above.
Mine is my retirement plan is.
$1,500,000
@ 5% = $75,000 year.
= $1,442.30 per week.
That's it.
Of course the % could be a lot higher, but this is the absolute
minimum plan I'll except.
Bruce G.

Rather than a tower (though that would be good), my goal is to HAVE FUN.

Whatever I'm doing, I want to enjoy it. Simple, and I *gasp* don't have to be rich to do it.

I played chasing games with my kids yesterday. That was GREAT!
Last night, my five yr old woke up with a sore throat. I gave him a warm drink and stroked his hair til he fell asleep. You can't get much better than that.

Jas

hi all
Its great on this forum how people open up,I dont post often ,just absorb all the information,stories and advice.
If for some reason I come up short in the goal achieving department I always say to myself

.I have my health
.I have my family
.I have my friends
.I have my dog
.I live in the best city in the best country in the world
.We are all so lucky!!!!

cheers rob:cool:

G'day Beech,
It would have to be nett yield. I would sell off most of my investments. Keep two or three properties, there's enough effort in keeping those going. Remember I've now retired. So you only
need these to give you one interest.Second interest is investing dollars in the share market and keeping an eye on your managed funds.
The rest of your time is what ever you want to do with it.
$1,442.00 to spend a week is not a lot of money, but it does keep the debt collector away from the door.

Bruce G.

One of my and my wife's top most Financial goals for the next 5 years is to own an Island in Fiji and have a world-class resort on it, where I go 4 times a year with my friends and family and think about life and set some more and more empowering golas!

I just did a goal-setting workshop on the 4th of January, 2003 with a group of Tony Robbins's UPW Graduates. I have laminated my top 3 goals for the year 2003 and made copies of them so I have on at home, at work, in the car...i find it really keeps you focused. You MUST write your goals down otherwise they are just dreams, and you MUST have a time limit next to each one of them.

And someone mentoined before, I think it was Kristina, that as soon as you write your goals down (i.e. FOCUS on them), some door somewhere opens and shows you the way, which you might have missed if you were not FOCUSED on your goal...

All the best to everyone in 2003. Hope it bring Health, Love and Prosperity to you and your family.

Khurram

Landholdings,

I am not a life coach but I discovered this area last year and read a lot about it. One of the gurus in this area is Thomas Leonard, he coaches and trains life coaches, I think he's brilliant. Anyhow, his start to fame was writing the following checklist:

http://www.clean-sweep.com/textonly.html

which I carry around with me everywhere. Did I say that I think he's brilliant?

Come back and see me when you've scored 100 and I'll give you some more stuff.

Seriously, there's some really good stuff on the web by this guy for free, but you have to know where to find it, so let me just leave the above as a teaser, and you let me know if this gets you interested or not.

So just so this message relates to the topic, let's say that my ultimate goal is to get 100 on the Clean Sweep program. Oh, and to meet Thomas Leonard.:D

Re: Clean Sweep

OK, you've got me interested - even though there were an awful lot of ticks under the "No" column on my first quick run through the list!

Free stuff is good!

G'day all,

If I was judging the best post on this topic, and I'm not, it would have to go to Steve Navra. Short, sweet and bag on.

Bruce G.

Goals

Hi all

I've found this discussion on our ultimate goals really interesting. (That castle is sounding pretty great).

I AM a Life Coach and am happy to answer any questions any of you may have. I promise this is not a ruse to sign you up or anything along those lines. Just happy to share information -which, afterall, is what this forum is all about.

Sharon

PS. Mark ("no hat, some cattle") - where did you get the Brian Tracy book from. I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Back