What items need replacing the most?

Recently had my shoe racks from walk in rob stolen along with kitchen drawer cuttlery insert and a rack that hooks under a cupboard shelf in kitchen so you could stack plates on top of bowls in the same section. Property managers didn't pick up that anything was missing. Had to replace an expensive toilet seat that had fake tan on it and you could make out where the person sat. Again the Pm didn't pick it up. Going back years ago to my first lot of tenants and I was managing the property. My tenants were offered free rent from another property owner in exchange for them painting the property. I had a brand new 6 litre tin of paint that disappeared when they moved out. I queried them about it and they denied taking it but it mysteriously reappeared back in the shed. Also just noticed, we had a huge old ceramic bath that was in good condition that we were going to turn into a worm farm has disappeared. Is it illegal for tenants to steal?

And also had a new kitchen trolley disappear when tenant moved. Queried tenant and he said he thought it was rubbish and put it outside for bulk rubbish collection.

light bulbs and fittings.

Although i understand why as most people chuck in cheap light fittings that need to be removed by a team of special trained monks not to have it break. We use the same light fitting in every rental as they are cheap and you can change the light bulb with out the fitting, so far the only issue we have had with them as my relatives keep nicking our spare supplies.

Smoke alarms because they get taken down to change the battery and then at the end of tenancy put in a box by accident.

I rented a furnished place for 3 months when I returned from os.

I took the wrong iron when I left as I bought a new one. The one I bought was a new, good one with steam etc. The one from the unit was old and cheap.

The landlord complained about it so I gladly swapped them back. I was kicking myself as I thought there would be chance of a swap.

In mine - blinds. Twice. WTF?

Keys for the window locks,
Light bulbs,
Toilet Roll

I am always perplexed by the toilet paper. It's not like they used what was on the roll & left an empty roll. And the light bulbs? Seriously?

Unlike the other two though, I am annoyed when they take the window lock keys. Gotta then get a locksmith out for the next tenant. Arrgghh!

Why a locksmith skater... surely your PM has a full copy set they can re-cut from?

Sometimes, sometimes not!

To be honest, we keep keys to most of our places at home. Got one of those Real Estate racks with them on & the address on the tags. But, even with both us and the Real Estate having them, over time things go missing. Maybe the tenants took the keys & the agent handed out their copies & the next tenant took or mislaid the keys.

We've even had some that our keys don't fit. I don't know how that has happened, but it has.

Oh, another thing that often goes missing is curtains. Basically anything that isn't bolted down.

Just had an interesting one today.

A vacating tenant has taken both grilles off the skylights. Went through the property only last Saturday and they present.

White wear.

What it is about the two stage door opening catches on front loading washing machines and on dishwashers that tenants do not understand? Yes, give it a heave of a wharfie and the "faulty" plastic breaks. Says repair man, "I only replace these in rentals".

Crisper baskets for refrigerators. Always useful for tenants to pack food in when decamping.

Help me get a top 10 list: 'In your rental properties, what are the items that you have to repair or replace the most?"

Appliances, bathroom accessories, curtains & rails! This has been my own personal experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just evicted a single mum, her newborn and child this week.
Besides leaving a mess...she abandoned her 2 cats in the apt
What is wrong with people !!!

Dinner?

Atleast she didn't abandon the newborn :eek:

No horror stories from me yet (touch wood).

You seem to have a lot of problem tenants. Does Canada inherently have more problem tenants than oz? Or does your portfolio attract problem tenants?

Two more cats for your cat rescue project!

You seem to have a lot of problem tenants. Does Canada inherently have more problem tenants than oz? Or does your portfolio attract problem tenants?

Two more cats for your cat rescue project!

About 5/40 are a problem, at any given time.
Different degrees of problems.

I'd like to say it is just us, but many landlords here have the same problem.
Basically most tenants are "problem" because it is cheaper to buy than rent....and there is generally a reason why they don't qualify for mortgages (welfare/poor credit)

Animal control won't take them..they are too full.
We have asked the other tenants in the building if they want to adopt them..they each come with a $20 food/litter donation

We have contacted the tenant's next of kin..they dont have room for them

Next step is calling the police, and hopefully she will be charged with animal cruelty.

I wish she did leave the newborn behind instead...at least they always have room for them at Child services.

Back