what makes property price in Australia (Sydney in particular) overpriced ?

Agree with peoples sentiments about the high prices in Sydney then moving onto, brisbane, Perth, Melbourne etc the thing is though I reckon Sydney is different.

The regulatory landscape around development is atrocious. Land release does not keep up meaning developers are over the barrel whenever they buy raw land and if this was not enough the government supposedly to tax away windfall profits then taxes the developers at every level of government from GST (OK so its all voer Ausralia) to council duties to state gov levies.

You have some DH from state government saying, but we have released 9000 properties and we only have growth plans for 5000 new residents etc, but the thing is developers need to be able to choose where to buy. If their is only a few options they pay over the odds for this land and it then becomes non feasable to develop and hence less development occurs.

The cost of the developing itself, building, land procurement etc none of these are larger than the taxation burden on a new block of land which stands at about 35% of the total cost to bring a greenfield block to the market in Sydney.

On those 450k blocks at Kellyville 150k of it is tax to the government. How do they even expect houses to be affordable if they tax this very thing so heavily? How much would power be if they took the same approach? Oh opps thats right that is the next thing they are hitting...

Its not about land price its about government cost component. It fits perfectly. 1995, Bob Carr releases his consolidation plans for Sydney. Watch what happens next.

I am not sure what will drive this into the future though, as I cannot see them milking anymore from development surely?

Other states that went the way of Sydney with high prices had a large supply response, Melbourne IMO is about to have a ruder shock than even Brisbane and Perth based on completions alone.

This will in time see these markets correct. Sydney is different. the government is far more useless when it comes to being progressive, building the infrastructure, releasing the land and leaving people to get on with the job of providing accomodation for a growing population.

People say infrastructure improves property prices. It does if a previously disconnected piece of real estate becomes connected, look at Woronora or Alfords Point when Woronora River Bridge was a goer. But globally for a city the release of good infrastructure connecting new suburbs and release of land so developers can choose where to develop puts negative pressure on prices not positive.

It is why I suspect the not in my backyarders are not always altruistic in their intentions when they spot legless lizards or flightless owls in the neighbouring burbs pegged out for development.

Reactions: BV
That only proves that Perth was more overpriced than Sydney. Not that Sydney is not overpriced at all

I really don't think either city is over priced. For Perth you can buy a 4x2 on 700m block around Rockingham for about $370k. I just built a 4x2 near camden for about $430k. That is not over priced. People have to live near where they can afford to buy and if it means 50km straight line from the cbd, then thats what it means. If someone cannot afford to buy at that price range maybe they should start with a townhouse or unit.

many thanks mate for all of your responses and explanation, I appreciate that.

initially, my conclusion is that because of the more people coming into Sydney rather than any other city, plus the FHOG last year which also jack up the housing prices as well.

Stats say things overpriced? Peoples expectations unrealistic? My parents never owned a 4 bed two story home or anything flash. My mother still lives in a 3 bed red brick. I could list 100 properties under 300k which are deceny family homes around sydney.

Agreed.

In the 1950's the average home in a new estate was a 2 bedroom fibro with one bathroom and if you were lucky a garage.

In the 1980's it progressed to 3 bedrooms brick with a garage.

Now it has to be 4-5 bedrooms, brick, triple garage and media rooms.

Not suggesting we go back to the 1950's, but do not whinge about something not being affordable if your wants are greater than your needs and budget.

Agreed.

In the 1950's the average home in a new estate was a 2 bedroom fibro with one bathroom and if you were lucky a garage.

In the 1980's it progressed to 3 bedrooms brick with a garage.

Now it has to be 4-5 bedrooms, brick, triple garage and media rooms.

Not suggesting we go back to the 1950's, but do not whinge about something not being affordable if your wants are greater than your needs and budget.

Exactly yes, so my initial correlation in mind is that:

Higher AUD$ means more imports of cheaper stuff --> combined with Higher salary means more pocket money --> people buy more items and have more kids --> need bigger house --> housing demand rising.

Overpriced?

Hiya

Gosh! Just came back from SIngapore and i think we Australians do not know the meaning of "Overpriced"; at least we have CHOICE!

The average APARTMENT price is now 400 - 500K (and that's Aussie); and you need to buy off the government plus get in line for a queue number; go into the private market (15% of total dwellings) and we are talking 700-800 K and that is for an average 2 or 3 bedroom apartment; 120 squares...PLUS you are buying 99 years LEASEHOLD meaning you have to give it back to the goverment after that time! Freehold: forget it ; that is 1 million and up!

(the only mitigating factor is interest rates are less than 3%)
Do you know how many Singaporeans look at our houses and sigh? Get real! We do not appreciate how lucky we really are!

Hiya

Gosh! Just came back from SIngapore and i think we Australians do not know the meaning of "Overpriced"; at least we have CHOICE!

The average APARTMENT price is now 400 - 500K (and that's Aussie); and you need to buy off the government plus get in line for a queue number; go into the private market (15% of total dwellings) and we are talking 700-800 K and that is for an average 2 or 3 bedroom apartment; 120 squares...PLUS you are buying 99 years LEASEHOLD meaning you have to give it back to the goverment after that time! Freehold: forget it ; that is 1 million and up!

Do you know how many Singaporeans look at our houses and sigh? Get real! We do not appreciate how lucky we really are!

Careful - perspective makes bears cry.

Hiya

Virgo, are you talking about the HDB flats :-o)
yes I visit Singapore regularly on my way back to Indonesia, the property price in there is crazy high, because of their land size.

Land release

When was the last land release in Singapore?

Ha ha ha! Land release? they have to pull down buildings and rebuild it up!:eek:

they also attempted to reclaim land from the sea; imagine the construction costs!!!!

Mind you, we are talking of an island of 5.5million (projected to 7 million) and it takes only 2 hours to drive from east to west....ie if you can afford the cost of a car (average cost 100 000 and that is Aussie dollars too!); a Merc will set you back 200K

So, don't talk about unaffordability to me; young people really have it easy compared to those young people in Singapore....you are "forced" to live 2 or even 3 generations under one roof (all your life!!! )

My friends in Singapore look at our houses and weep!

We are indeed blessed down under !!!:p

Yeah, we lived in Singapore for a few years - even considered buying property there, didn't - and the markets just aren't comparable imo. In a country where 80% of the population or thereabouts lives in an HDB, that's their 'standard', just as the three-bedroom house on a block of land is ours.

Also, the low interest rate does have an impact because a 7% IO mortgage on, say, $500K AUD would repay roughly a 3% mortgage of $1.2 million, or about $1.5 million SGD, which would get you a cheap terrace. So in terms of affordability that changes things a little. However I will agree that owning the equivalent of an 'average' Australian suburban house would be a pipe dream for virtually everyone save the mega-rich. But I feel it's getting like that in Sydney too...

Hiya

So do they look at America and sigh? Or do they just laugh, loudly?

I'm not sure comparing our accomodation costs with those of a country with more than 7000 people per square km and the third highest population density on earth falls into the "perspective" category.

I wonder when they will realise that they should probably stop reproducing themselves?

Humans really are pretty stupid at times. I often look at how the population is increasing and can't help seeing the image of the two mice in the tank....

We'll cop our right whack sooner or later.

Back