What should be prepared before approaching an extension designer/architect ?

I have narrowed my searches down to 3 designers, one of which is an architect.

What should I have prepared, what needs to be completed before approaching them?

Hi dynamite,

1. Locality map indicating location of subject property
2. Site survey or mud map showing all major features (street, fall, trees, house, hard surfaces, garages, north, views, easements, rights of way, etc.) if survey is not available
3. Plans if available or again sketch plans showing plumbing and load bearing walls etc.
4. Lots of photos internal and external from all directions
5. Your budget
6. Your time-frame and time-line
7. Your ideas (sketches) on paper
8. Council zoning for area and block
9. photos of any developments similar to the one you have in mind
10. Photos of developments in the area close to the proposed

Most of the plans, surveys should be available from the owner via agent or from council (with owners consent), otherwise it's up to your drawing and interpretation skills. All part of your 'rough due diligence' :D

regards, MC

Thanks MC that is very thorough (which is what us wannabies need)

Yeah I reckon I could write a book on my rough due diligence, of course it would only have 1 page "The END".

MC I reckon we need to start defining due diligence and its complete process. This can change depending on development. Reno and hold/sell is such a huge investment field, it can loosely cover multi dwelling alterations, single dwelling alterations, cosmetic facelifts and many more which all fit again loosely under the term property development.

The problem as I see it is that each strategy has its own due diligence requirements, and each strategy has many scenarios, as you pointed out.

For me I just want to know from the pros, what is a good guideline process for due diligence for single dwelling major structural development? I think this would benefit many of us now and in the future.

Would you be able to put an end to end process together? Obviouslly this is a big ask and I respect your decision if you would rather not.

Cheers

There is an interesting document on the website for Planning and Land Managment (PALM) which is the ACT planning authority.
It has been designed to help applicants through a pre-application phase called "high quality sustainable development".

This brochure outlines some of the things that you need to think about before designing from scratch or extending.

Hopefully, someone here will find it useful.

Go to
http://www.palm.act.gov.au/qsd/index.htm

and click 'model site analysis for a simple development proposal'

It is a bit slow to open but it is very worthwhile and shows the steps that designersand architects go through in order to come up with an appropriate design.

I currently work for PALM 2 days a week (when I'm not at PlanningNSW) so, if you need any detailed advice on the document, feel free to ask.

Savanna

Hi Savanna,

PALM 2 days a week and planning NSW? I think I have done some work for you recently, did you get your plans? They were sent to the old address.

dynamite: the list was not extensive, just those that came to mind as I typed; I have probably forgotten some really important ones.

There are a couple of Aussie books on due diligence, one by Hans Jakobi - Due Diligence made simple(easy) or Due diligence for dummies or something like that. Got it but haven't read it, was told it's quite good - probably by Hans. What ever it is called it will be available off Hans's website www.supersecrets.com

regards, MC

Michael, yes, we got the plans.....your service is excellent as usual !!!!
Sorry about the delay but my incredibly slack husband only posted the cheque to you the day before yesterday !!!! (I know, "the cheque's in the mail sounds so fake !!! but it's true this time) :eek: :eek: :eek:

We are madly trying to renovate the current house so a tenant (which we already have lined up) can go in quickly and, in all the mad rush, he forgot.......

Savanna

Hi Savanna,

That wasn't a hint! I knew you'd be flat out and wanted to be sure you had the plans in case major work was in the offing; so don't sweat it.

Hope the reno goes well, MC

You're the best MC !!!!

I know you weren't hinting but I was embarassed all the same and cross with Mr Savanna100 as I had been reminding him for the last few weeks to get on with it (we have a clear demarcation, he handles all the money stuff so I had to leave it to him).

Thanks for everything. Call u for the next one????

Savanna

Back