What sort of business can generate $40K+ net profit per year by doing it part-time?

Hi Everyone,

Are there any sort of businesses that we can buy within $50K to generate $40+ net profit a year by doing it at part-time, basically, the part-time is in evening or weekends. The reason to specify that part-time period is because I'm currently still a 9am-5pm employee, and want to gradually transit to do self-business, and also only very embarrassed fund is available for a start.

Any suggestion or thoughts are most welcome and appreciated.

Cheers

Ryan

i would,nt have thought that you would need that much, to start??
The way a buiseness makes money depends on your attitude, and willingness to do the work, tuppeware sales people do well those who put in the yards do well, mowing lawns, just emoloy the staff, cleaning homes just get the contracts and staff, delivering junk mail , their are heaps of things that would work if you put the effort in, no need for 50k start up????
If you look with an open mind the world is your oyster,

vending machine business..easily if you started it yourself and had the right sites and product to flog..

i had electronic cigarette lighter dispensers setup a few years ago at every nightclub and hotel i could find...excellent money spinner...easy work once a week..

ive still got 20 machines i didnt sell but pulled from locations that were not so good ....PM me if interested to discuss...will let them go super cheap just to give me some space and get the cook off my back......

trial and errror to get the right locations but i guarantee you will make solid profits for little outlay..

pool tables are also another good earner if located right.....

I was making nearly that wholesaling aquarium plants with a mate
out of my back shed with little outlay working only weekends.
We used the money to properly set up a fish breeding hobby.
The plant side of things soon got to the point where one or
both of us would have to quit our day job to keep up with
things so we folded it up after a 10 months or so. :D

Just find something you like doing in a niche market
and go for it.

Home delivery of milk is taking off again setup a milk run
offering bread, eggs and other staples. It's not weekend work
but you could do the work during morning or evening and have
the rest of the day free. Get in early in an area and expand and then
sell the business off to someone else

Home delivery of milk is taking off again setup a milk run
offering bread, eggs and other staples. It's not weekend work
but you could do the work during morning or evening and have
the rest of the day free. Get in early in an area and expand and then
sell the business off to someone else

How recession proof would this luxury be?

+1 to fishbreeding - I have a friend who does it and he sells his fish off to pet shops. Makes a lot of money when considering fish breed in very large quantities!

Pick your area well. How recession proof is any business?
There was a news article in WA recently where
people were paying for someone to put their rubbish bins out on
bin day. Obviously your not going to do this in a low income suburb.
But an area of older people would appreciate this as well as
higher income people.
but this is where DD comes into play.

The only 2 certain business that make money in a recession is
booze and sex........ :D

Many many thanks for all the sharing so far, really appreciated!

And I agree, doing business is all about altitude and the willing to put efforts in. And open mind of course!

Personally, I pretty much like real estate, but I'm not a good sales guy at all - might due to being an software engineer for too many years, wondering are there any ideas in real estate industry?

ages ago we had a guy buy a jumping j jays castle franchise for around 80k and he did that part time.

A year ago I spoke to one of the other franchisees and he said it took him 6 months to learn the business and he couldnt wait to get out and sell off the franchise.

But the figures they promote, and their business plan did show if you followed it you'd do well.

I come from a family of aquariums.

Had quiet a few shops through our family, i was looking @ one day setting up an aquarium empire with shops all around the country...

Doesnt seem like such a good idea now days, make a lot more and easier $$$ in peroperty.

I like Aquarium business though, but got other aspirations in life now.

Nearly bought out 3 closed shops of aquarium products recently for 30k and would have resold for $100k+ but too hard messing around with the products.

If it wasnt for the Aquarium business in my family, i wouldnt have grasped the concept of money at the age i did. I have a lot to owe for this upbringing.

...if that's the case, why not start your own airline ??

ooooops, wrong spelling, shall be "all about attitude", but your suggestion might be good for me as well, since I've been an air traffic control system engineer for a couple of years, having got used to type "altitude", "flight level", "mode c" stuffs........:D

I come from a family of aquariums.
Doesnt seem like such a good idea now days, make a lot more and easier $$$ in peroperty.
If it wasnt for the Aquarium business in my family, i wouldnt have grasped the concept of money at the age i did. I have a lot to owe for this upbringing.

I think it depends, and depend what sort of property investment approaches are you going to use, positive or negative, if negative, how heavy leverage you can take; if positive (except for few cheap areas), how much deposit (initial fund) you have.

Now, half of my properties are neutral cash flow, half of them are negative and the mortgage burden is so heavy that I can't lose a job for more than 3 months, and I always feel I just run out of cash for living and property development (all my negative properties are on the way of development). So what I mean is it's not an easy money area either.

How do you think?

I've built two part time businesses in the past whilst working, before taking the plunge with doing this one properly. Both earned some reasonable coin given the little time and effort, and could easily be replicated.

One was a tutoring business. Not actually doing the tutoring; just taking a cut from matching uni students with high school students. The other was a similar theory with bookkeeping.

The whole point of both of these was more about building systems and processes that meant the business could basically run itself when I stepped away from it. Complete and total success in that regard and the exercise has paid off massively in growing my main business now.

There's another thread on business going around here about the difference between a job and a business. Maybe worth looking at. Also, the first thing that came to mind when reading the opening post, is why you would limit yourself to such a small income...?

Hi Ryan,

when I think part time, and for the buying costs you've indicated, how about share trading. You wouldn't even need 20 % of your $50,000 to set up with education, courses, books, software. Use the remaining $ 40,000 to start your trading bank. As a computer software oriented person, you may find it easier with charting and keeping emotion out of decisions.

There are many different types of trading other than sitting in front of a screen all day. You will set up a trading (business) plan and follow the rules of your plan, just like any system in a business or franchise. Indeed, when the market has given signals to jump in the first 12-18 months of the recovery should give nice returns for simple long positions.

Of course this has to suit your investing temperament also. If, shares aren't your thing, then you've had some suggestions above already.

Hi Ryan,

when I think part time, and for the buying costs you've indicated, how about share trading. You wouldn't even need 20 % of your $50,000 to set up with education, courses, books, software. Use the remaining $ 40,000 to start your trading bank. As a computer software oriented person, you may find it easier with charting and keeping emotion out of decisions.

There are many different types of trading other than sitting in front of a screen all day. You will set up a trading (business) plan and follow the rules of your plan, just like any system in a business or franchise. Indeed, when the market has given signals to jump in the first 12-18 months of the recovery should give nice returns for simple long positions.

Of course this has to suit your investing temperament also. If, shares aren't your thing, then you've had some suggestions above already.

I think Ryan is wanting to buy an established business with an existing income.

Ryan, one business I looked at a few years ago before we moved to the USA was an inflatable jumping castle business.

It was all weekend work unfortunately, but it was around about those figures you are looking at.

Anyway, check these out:
http://www.realcommercial.com.au/cg...&s=vic&return=0&p=30&c=18947879&px=0&pm=0&o=p

How about an internet based business?
My brother runs an affiliate marketing business. It took him a while to set it up, but it now pays him a good return and he spends most of his time playing golf.
Or if you are into programming, write some shareware.
Mobile phones are using more and more apps, maybe something for that market.

All great suggestions and ideas, heaps of appreciation guys!

I think what I'm going to do is to list all these options mentioned here, and think about what may match my situation and personality more, and start from there.

Thanks once again!

Kindest regards

Ryan

Back