• DOWN .25%

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • UP .5%

• Any other result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He Cites The Many Overstretched Fho's & First Time Investors Who Bought When Ir Were 5%'ish & Believes The Govt Can't Let Rates Go Too High Over The Next Few Years As This Will Result In Many Of These People Having To Sell.

Govt Can Stomp Their Feet All They Like, They're Not In Control Of The Situation.

Was discussing this with a friend who believes if IR hit 8%, they'll have to come back down pretty soon.

He cites the many overstretched FHO's & first time investors who bought when IR were 5%'ish & believes the govt can't let rates go too high over the next few years as this will result in many of these people having to sell.

His belief is that too many Aussies have too much vested in their homes to be able to cope if IRs rise & therefore the govt won't let this happen.

Others thoughts?

:)

Yeah that's been my feeling for a long time also. I just can't see how they've got any choice in this country fpr years to come now other than to keep an 8 or 9 absolute max and then as your friend says even at that they really could not afford to leave them at those heights too long .

Well , looks like we have a reprieve for today anyway . Unfortunately that could also exasperate the likely hood of a pretty ugly Christmas present for a lot of people later instead though !

Cheers

Really , could you see how the average first home household or first time investors , that have also often gone out on a bit of a limb and probably also payed top dollar , could even carry another 2% if they were lucky and that would be for years to come now ?
Tell ya what , these guys , the RBA's / Gov's , are really going to have to use their noggins in their trigger happy ways over the next 5 or so yrs until some sort of perspective is reached again .

Cheers

lol,

My tenants were just relieved of rent increases for today....

Wait till next week though. lol

I like that thinking. Pass the costs to the end users. Young Aussies, this is the capitalism your forefathers built and I'm all for it. Bring on more capitalism!!

lol,
My tenants were just relieved of rent increases for today....
Wait till next week though. lol

Nath
Our tenants can't take any more increases.
We're now at the stage where 1/2 wage is going towards paying the rent which is high...
So unless we swap tenants for higher paid ones we can't do it....

Tenants only get 3 months lease so afer 1 month i can send a 60 day letter :)

Given that the average Landord is offering 6 or 12 months leases, why would anyone pony up for a 3 monther, unless it was super cheap rent?

But cheap rent for the plebs is not what we are here for; is it?

Last edited:
2 of 3 of my places are on 6 month leases, 1 is on a 12 monther with a fixed rent increase @ 6 months, letter of increase was given at the start of the lease

you must be getting quality tenants with a 3 month lease

Could just be an initial 3 month lease for any new tenants, before going to six and/or 12 :confused:

LOL

I been saying were on the brink, just go and talk with your local business owners in your neighbourhood. If interest rates go up much higher families will fall.

Look at it this way, we can all look at statistical data, however when the people on the streets are hurting, actions gets taken.

Stimulus was introduced to prevent damages before and so was rate reductions.

With high debt to income levels a 7% reserve rate is just the same impact as a 1990 20% rate.

Why because peoples debts today are for example 10 times larger then 1990 and the wages are say 5 times larger.

Its just simple numbers.

I have been saying for a while now, I cannot see rates increasing 50bp over their current rates anytime in the next 12-18 months.

Thats just my food for thought though.

CBA nearly hit your 50bp in one foul swoop !!

Back