• DOWN .25%

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • UP .5%

• Any other result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yeah i wussed out and closed the position by backing the rise at $1.5.

some rubbish statement to justify ' u never go broke making a profit'

Bring it on

I wouldn't be surprised if the reserve moved up .25 and some banks up another .20 on top of this on Tuesday.

Regards Jason.

I would welcome a rate rise this month or next. :)

There will be opportunities for those ready to purchase now (or soon) whilst simultaneously assisting some vendors out of their potential fiscal dilemma's. ;)

Do you think inflation in this country is permanently too low?

strewth martha, if the RBA thinks it can control inflation thru IRs then brace yourself for 18%. They will be bankrupting every non-resources going concern in the nation in a veign attempt to offset the resources companies insatiable demand for labour and materials

12 years... he'd have been growing roots by then. presumably a LSL milestone kicked in at that point?

In addition to the juiciest private sector offer he's ever seen. Presume he can get an elder's role back at the RBA after feathering his nest as HSBC's chief economist.

A pertinent piece of research with his name on it :
Housing Turnover and First-home Buyers

Actually an interesting question to contemplate .
Everyone is saying risk-on, and resource demand full steam ahead....buckets of private investment ready to rocknroll. So RBA wants to jack up rates to brake the accompanying increase in consumption.

Bloxham reckons a stronger aud will help slow consumption and should reduce requirement ot raise rates as high. That seems counterintuitive to me. I'd have thpught higher aud will increase imports and higher rates will attract more foreign funds into govt bonds.

Bloxham reckons a stronger aud will help slow consumption and should reduce requirement ot raise rates as high. That seems counterintuitive to me. I'd have thpught higher aud will increase imports and higher rates will attract more foreign funds into govt bonds.

.....which is what i would have thought as well.

I'd have thpught higher aud will increase imports

logic possibly being... that imports are a leak from the economy and inflation results from excess demand within the domestic economy. Imports are a pressure release valve.

also uncompetitive exporters will be shut down, cooling the economy further

I've opted for a rise in rates of .25% if not now and the odds are good at that.. then next month; last move was MAY this year after rises in MARCH & APRIL also

ref: Mr BLOXHAM

Mr Bloxham was quoted as saying that the economy risked growing faster than its capacities and this could lead to inflation:

"A further challenge is that the economy starts this upturn with consumer price inflation already in the top half of the Reserve Bank's target range."

SOURCE: The Australian - 22nd Sept 2010

No....just that people will spend money on hoildays overseas.

Also, a higher dollar also makes imports cheaper.

I don't understand why No. 2 would be a reason / consideration.

Are you saying the RBA is in some sort of allegiance with overseas countries and wants to encourage the Australian people to spend overseas? Very confused...

From Craig James

The monthly inflation gauge rose by 0.05 per cent in September after lifting by 0.2 per cent in August and edging up 0.1 per cent July. The annual rate of inflation rose from three per cent to 3.2 per cent but the three-month annualised rate fell sharply from 2.5 per cent to 1.7 per cent.

Excluding volatile items like petrol and fruit and vegetables, the inflation gauge rose by just 0.1 per cent in September after a similar rise in August. The three-month annualised rate of inflation eased from 2.6 per cent to 2.5 per cent.

The trimmed mean inflation measure was unchanged for the second straight month. The trimmed mean measure is up 2.3 per cent on a year ago while the three-month annualised rate eased from 1.7 per cent to 1.1 per cent.

TD Securities noted that, “Contributing most to the overall change in September were price rises for alcohol and tobacco, fruit and vegetables, and holiday travel and accommodation. These were offset by falls in prices for automotive fuel, rents, and audio, visual and computing equipment.”

If the RBA do not lift rates...will the banks go it alone;)

Too close to call whether it will be today, Nov, Dec.

I vaguely recall there never used to be so many meetings - now there's one on the first tues of every month except January.

Yeah I agree , like everything now it's way overboard. And what with the sort of mortgages people have in this country now they're suppose to be hanging on a thread mth in and mth out on top of it - bloody ridiculous, overkill !

Up another 1/4 though seems to be the general consensus but I've also been hearing another 4 or 5 rises on top of it likely next yr too.

Cheers

Last edited:
Was discussing this with a friend who believes if IR hit 8%, they'll have to come back down pretty soon.

He cites the many overstretched FHO's & first time investors who bought when IR were 5%'ish & believes the govt can't let rates go too high over the next few years as this will result in many of these people having to sell.

His belief is that too many Aussies have too much vested in their homes to be able to cope if IRs rise & therefore the govt won't let this happen.

Others thoughts?

:)

LOL

I been saying were on the brink, just go and talk with your local business owners in your neighbourhood. If interest rates go up much higher families will fall.

Look at it this way, we can all look at statistical data, however when the people on the streets are hurting, actions gets taken.

Stimulus was introduced to prevent damages before and so was rate reductions.

With high debt to income levels a 7% reserve rate is just the same impact as a 1990 20% rate.

Why because peoples debts today are for example 10 times larger then 1990 and the wages are say 5 times larger.

Its just simple numbers.

I have been saying for a while now, I cannot see rates increasing 50bp over their current rates anytime in the next 12-18 months.

Thats just my food for thought though.

Back