What to do w this piece of s**t bathroom?

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the best thing to do with this bathroom is.

Located North of Brisbane.

It looks quite small and there are 2 toilets - right next to each other.

My plan:

Rip it all out and start again.

New bath tub
New shower screen
New Toilet
New Basin/Vanity
New Mirror
Retile the floor black (or dark) retile the walls white-ish (or maybe its fine as is.)

For the second toilet I plan on retiling the toilet and just leaving the toilet after cleaning (unless there's a real cheapie.

It looks like laminate on the floor currently? Is that right... if its tiles I will leave as is I think.

Does that sound right or is there something missing?

Maybe I can leave as is and a clean up will do?

Not experienced with reno's at all so any help appreciated!

James

P.S - any cheap material sources badly needed as I am on a VERY tight budget!

Attachments

• Bathroom.JPG
    Bathroom.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 2nd toilet - right next to the 1st.JPG
    2nd toilet - right next to the 1st.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 212
  • hideous bathtub.JPG
    hideous bathtub.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 203
Have you actually seen this house?

If it's a low budget, low end house, and there are no serious leaks or plumbing problems, it may just need a good clean, some new sealant, minor tile work or repair and some paint.

As Weg said. Or....

If I were to do this bathroom I would, tile the bath/shower area (white to match the basin ones if possible), tile floor (large dark), remove the toilet near the basin all together, and give the whole thing a good clean (maybe get someone to re-coat the bath if needed). I can't see the shower screen, but you can usually get these replaced fairly cheaply. If it's an IP I wouldn't worry about a mirror at all.

It would clean it up, and give it a face lift without too much expense.

I would rip up the flooring (looks like vinyl) and tile it. Or if it is in good condition but just filthy, give it a really good clean.

Clean everything else and paint the walls. I would do the same with the second toilet, just a really good clean so everything sparkles. Having a second toilet is a bonus and I would not get rid of it.

Honestly, most of that just looks like it hasn't been cleaned for a long time. If it is not a "high end" rental, clean it and rent it.

Yes low end for sure. Rent will only be $300 max (most likely around $250)

No shower screen yet - but planning to put one in.

Been vacant for 2 years hence the condition.

I would think its better to just replace the bath if I can get it cheap under $100.

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the best thing to do with this bathroom is.

Located North of Brisbane.

It looks quite small and there are 2 toilets - right next to each other.

My plan:

Rip it all out and start again.

New bath tub
New shower screen
New Toilet
New Basin/Vanity
New Mirror
Retile the floor black (or dark) retile the walls white-ish (or maybe its fine as is.)

For the second toilet I plan on retiling the toilet and just leaving the toilet after cleaning (unless there's a real cheapie.

It looks like laminate on the floor currently? Is that right... if its tiles I will leave as is I think.

Does that sound right or is there something missing?

Maybe I can leave as is and a clean up will do?

Not experienced with reno's at all so any help appreciated!

James

P.S - any cheap material sources badly needed as I am on a VERY tight budget!
Not sure on the plan but you could always take the wall out and only use one system,would have to add value in one way or another..

If it is more than 2 bed then I would still keep the second toilet. Ask the $ question. How rent is it going to increased for the money you are going to spend?

Taking out walls is time consuming.
If you have a separate toilet next to the bathroom already I would
get rid of the toilet in the bathroom and put in a decent looking vanity
this could possibly make the bathroom look bigger by not having it look so cluttered.

Yeah will discuss all the options.

Its 140sqm internal living

3 bdr + study

2 massive living areas

2 bath (but the second bath as you can see only has a toilet and no room for much else.

What about cheap tiles/bath/toilet etc...?

JWR, I think that bathroom is just dirty and you will get a good result for the cost of a can of paint and a tube of silicone. It needs a good scrub with a big bottle of domestos. Paint the walls if they need it and replace the silicone at the bath join. Don't worry about the lino- you will see that the screed on the floor actually tilts up toward the bathtub and so tiling is impossible unless you re-screed the floor.

Don't remove the second toilet- having two toilets is a definite bonus.

I know that you are on a low budget so start with the free stuff, your time :)

You say it had been empty for 2 years so take the time to clean it from top to bottom, get the stale smell out, repaint the whole place in light colours, clean the floors etc etc.

Then sit back and look at what you have, you may well find the agent says "hey this looks great, I can get $300 for this as it is"

If not then look at doing something with the bathroom but I would definitely leave the second toilet in place as that will help you get extra rental for sure IMO.

I am torn between keeping the second bathroom or not...

I understand a second bathroom adds value but if its literally right next to the other I don't think it would add too much value at all?

Whilst I think cleaning everything would be ENOUGH - to give it the wow factor re-tiling and replacing bath/toilet/vanity would be the best way to go I believe.

Anyone know some good suppliers around Brisbane for dirt cheap everything (i.e. 2nds place or Salvage yard etc...)

Hmm I would keep the two toilets only if one of them is an ensuite and the other is as common toilet. Otherwise I would combine the two of them into one larger bathroom, and put a new bathroom in another part of the house. It makes no sense to have 2 bathrooms next to each other (apart from saving on plumbing) and I don't see it adding value in that situation.

For $300 a week rental, all I'd do to this is re-tile floors in a dark grey, add a shower screen and maybe replace sink with vanity if there is room - I'd also get some nice new ventians in for the blinds to clean up the look. All the rest just give it a really good clean. You'd be amazed what the tiling would do to improve the look of the place.

Yes I think retiling is the way to go

And only having one toilet - but not tearing down the wall - rather having the toilet separate from the bathroom and getting a bigger basin, new bathtub and new shower screen.

Now up to the supply stage:

Where do I get them REALLY cheap?

Ebay isn't much help atm as they are all overpriced or bad quality.

Want to spend $500 in total on the bathroom (with myself doing all the installation and tiling.)

Tiles
Toilet
Bathtub
Vanity Unit
Glass Shower Screen

Don't want Bunnings due to bad quality if possible...

Any seconds places around Brisbane?

Those photos look almost exactly like the bathrooms in the units I renovated a couple of years ago. We pulled everything out of the bathrooms (except the bath, which we re-enamalled), wet-wealed, re-tiled, and put new bathroom furniture in, and it cost about $7k. Looked amazing.

I am torn between keeping the second bathroom or not...

I understand a second bathroom adds value but if its literally right next to the other I don't think it would add too much value at all?

Whilst I think cleaning everything would be ENOUGH - to give it the wow factor re-tiling and replacing bath/toilet/vanity would be the best way to go I believe.

Anyone know some good suppliers around Brisbane for dirt cheap everything (i.e. 2nds place or Salvage yard etc...)

Before you spend too much money or time, I would think about what your end goal is. All of your other posts focus on cheap but this one you want the "wow" factor.

Who are your target tenants? What rental range are you in... low, medium, high?

If you are in the low rental range, I wouldnt try to get a "wow" factor, because it will look out of place. You may still decide to replace items, but keep them simple so that the "look and feel" of the place is appropriate for the type of tenants you are targetting..... and of course if you are in a higher range, then do the opposite.

Something you dont seem to have in the bathroom is storage and benchtop space. As a minimum, I would try to fit in a vanity somewhere, particularly if you are targetting families.

Back