What to look for in 'contract' ....

We are hoping to get some tips and help to understand exactly what to look for in contract yourself. We will definitely engage Solicitor once we find property (in Sydney) but we are trying to find out what things we can look by our self.

Last edited:
in NSW??

Contracts are pretty stock standard so the first thing you want to do is turn to the page with "special conditions". These are things they are changing from the standard contract. Your solicitor can negotiate these.

See if there are any caveats on the property.

That's start.

Just as, if not more important is what to add to the contract.

Three must haves;

1. Subject to finance approval (min 21 days)
2. Subject to pest/white ant inspection
3. Subject to building inspection

In NSW you need to pay particular attention to special conditions. You should add a few of your own too. Watch out for clauses about:
- agent introduction
- death
- extra fee for late settlement
- illegal strucutres
- deposit of 10% even if you pay 5% upfront (if you don't settle you may lose 10% rather than the 5% paid)
- etc

On the title search look at the owners names, make sure it is the owners are selling the house! See if there are any caveats or easements, covenants etc.

Then look at the sewerage diagram chechout where the pipes run.

read the s149 certificate and make sure you can use the property for what you want to use it for.

and make sure you use a lawyer to review it well in advance.

What about fittings coming with the property eg oven, blinds etc? Someone was asking em re this - and to me it is a given these things come with the property. Is it imperative these are ticked on the first page? Even for a bread and butter property?

Yep, inclusions is another big one.

Another i just thought of is land tax adjustible - better for the purchaser if it is not.

Yep, inclusions is another big one.

Another i just thought of is land tax adjustible - better for the purchaser if it is not.

What is the worst case scenario if its ticked yes to land tax adjustment and you have no way to change it as a buyer. e.g. mortgagee auction.

Thanks

I look out for:

1. Fire Prone
2. Flood Prone
3. Location of Easements and Sewer lines (may affect future development and/or value)
4. Zoning
5. Specific clauses entered by the vendor's solicitor
6. Death/Deceased sale
7. Caveats
8. Minerals
9. Road Widening

True, my thought is conduct a search will tell the total of land tax to be paid, if any. correct?

Thanks Terry

Not really. They may have paid the land tax on Jan 1 and then you sign on 31 June. You would then need to pay them back 6 months worth of the tax as you would be owning the property for 6 months of the year.

Most Conveyancers/solicitors will look over a contract free of charge BEFORE you make an offer. We did this for peace of mind so that we knew what our offer was based upon.

What happens in case of an auction? is it still valid to add few conditions after the auction and before signing (subject to finance, pest insepction, building inspection etc...) or it is to be done in advance?

What happens in case of an auction? is it still valid to add few conditions after the auction and before signing (subject to finance, pest insepction, building inspection etc...) or it is to be done in advance?

You cannot add things after entering a contract, you must do this negotiation beforehand. Get your solicitor to review the contract and then to ask for any amendments you wish.

What sort of strategy would people suggest in a sellers market - i.e such as in Sydney at the moment - property gets released mid week, then may go under contract after first inspection a few days later. Doesn't allow much time for contract review....

Give a verbal and then use delaying tactics.

Sign and rely on the cooling off period - and risking a small loss if you pull out.

Tell an agent you will buy the next property before it goes to market for whatever price they want.:eek:

OTP considerations

If you are going down the OTP path;
1) check how long you have to settle once title issues
2) check the section that covers the things you are not allowed to object to when the property is built (one contract I read had 3 A4 pages of these)
3) whether the developer has access to the deposit
4) compare the contract with the marketing material to be clear about what is included.
5) check how long the developer has to deliver the product (sunset clause), I've heard of people getting burned by having their deposit tied up for extended periods and worse still developers deliberately letting contracts reach their sunset so they lapse allowing the developer to sell at a higher price (if the market has moved)

Trev

I recently had a contract by a developer who didn't even own the block of land saying this:
Despite all things in the contract, the purchaser agrees to release the deposit to the vendor before settlement in order for the vendor to use the funds to:
-buy another property
-pay stamp duty for another property
-pay the mortgage for this current property.

Be careful of that. I had money on house and land I saw was undervalued and then the ones in the estate started selling for 100k more so I thought I'd try hold onto it if they got rid of the clause but they were adamant on keeping that in there because they wanted to use the money. They wanted 16% of the land also rather than 10% which is normal so be careful of that..

They then emailed me a letter of guarantee from the director saying if anything happens to the company he agrees to pay me back...I'm guessing if the company goes bust so does he..or if he doesn't i'm sure it's because he has got a single asset to his name..

So in summary..Don't let anyone touch your deposit..

Last edited:
If there is a clause in the contract allowing vendor to "terminate" a pain in the butt purchaser, by any means at their disposal, recommend that it be removed lol.

Back