what would you do - bathroom

heres my current bathroom what would you do for a quick job to rent it out?

-i was thinking of adding a shower head and turn into shower over bath - i have a shower in the laundry atm
-paint the ceiling and walls, put one of those 3 in 1 light fan combo things - dont like them but as i have a big square vent in the ceiling i would be able to cut it out and cover it with that
-would you paint the tiles? anyone had any good experiences with it?

i would like to do a decent reno but then i would have to update the kitchen, toilet and laundry aswell and cant justify spending that much at this point in time for the probably small rental increase
theres a house next door renting with the REA i got my appraisal from and they said there getting probably $15 a week more than id get and they have nice kitchen and bathroom (i think i could get a little more than they suggest they seem quite conservative on rent although if all the houses are its not going to help me)

also please note i have not left the walls that trendy green colour and have painted the skirtings and door jams... well in the half the house i have repainted
100_1025.jpg

100_1027.jpg

Where is the toilet?

I would do a classic black and white bathroom which suits older homes.

I would replace the basin, have the tiles and bath tub resprayed in white (leave the black stripe in the tiles).

Tile over the floor in a black border tile and white insert to finish the look and match the black stripe.

Definitely needs a shower to rent out. But apart from the colour it looks to be in pretty good condition. No, excellent condition.

However because it's old (original?) it's likely that doing anything like drilling the wall to install the shower will make a huge mess, like tiles falling off. After which it'll need a full reno.

Will it rent as is? What difference to rent will a show add?

It might be possible to install a shower external to the wall without disturbing much might be the best option. By that I mean put a junction on the bath taps and run the pipes vertically, visible. Nice chromes ones might look original and period.

I actually like it, don't even mind the colour, especially in a house that matches. You should be able to get a combination that joins in where the bath taps are and runs upwards to another set of taps and further up to a shower head. You will have to attach it to the wall somewhere up further.

I wouldn't tile over the terrazo floor. They are rarely exactly level, usually slope up at the corners. We have had them repolished before and they do come up nicely. Couple of hundred should see it repolished if needed.

You could have the bath resurfaced white, but I don't think it will make or break whether it is rented or not, whereas no shower will be a deal breaker for many.

Amazing- this is EXACTLY the same as my mother in law's bathroom in a 1950s house in Edwardstown, right down to the sink, tiles, trim tiles, towel rail, blue bathtub. I wonder if they had the same builder?!

Anyway, I have contemplated many times what to do to her bathroom, so here's what I think you should do to yours:
- Put in a shower head with shower over bath. Be careful not to damage pink tiles as they are difficult to find these days
- Put in a nice glass shower screen
- Paint ceiling and walls white, put in a 3 in 1 fan light combo, keep the ceiling vent if it's not in the middle of the room
- DO NOT paint the tiles, or the bath... it's very retro and very cute, it should be left the way it is and just made more functional for a modern setting.

Good luck!

Actually, if the bath is in good nick, I also wouldn't coat it. I just realised looking again that the bath and basin match, so don't change either, but you might be able to get something (CLR?) to get the brown water stain off the bath, without damaging it.

I agree that everything else should be crisp white to counter the bright colours.

I'd leave it unless you are going to do a full reno. I love the floor. Tiles are a little bright but in such good nick it would be a shame to mess with them.

Just get a new vanity (with legs to get away from uneven floor) and new bath taps. I'd only do the shower if you can do the nice external chrome ones (as suggested). Otherwise you need to rip a wall off.

That link battler put up is the type of thing I was thinking of. You can always get one made up too so that you can attach it to the wall higher than the tiles.

In our first PPOR, we had an old fashioned claw foot bath with a full size shower rail that meant the tap and shower head fitting (like in the link) wouldn't allow the shower curtain to be behind the fittings, which we needed.

We got a local company (cannot recall who) to make us up a chrome shower fitting (like the one in the link) and had the plumbing come out of the wall about 7' high, above the rail for the curtain, head in a few inches, turn downwards and then the combination part with the taps was at usual height. The pipe then headed back upwards with a goosneck at the top and shower head attached to that.

Looked fantastic, was hand made for us, chromed and didn't cost us more than maybe $100 more than a regular bought one, but allowed us to use the shower taps without reaching through the curtain and dripping water between the lip of the bath and the wall.

ok wow where to start so much help thanks all

Where is the toilet?

I would do a classic black and white bathroom which suits older homes.

I would replace the basin, have the tiles and bath tub resprayed in white (leave the black stripe in the tiles).

Tile over the floor in a black border tile and white insert to finish the look and match the black stripe.

toilet is next to my laundry by the back door that you have to go through the kitchen to

theres not exactly enough room for a toilet in there as when the door opens its basically touching the wall and the towel rail just misses it

I wouldn't tile over the terrazo floor. They are rarely exactly level, usually slope up at the corners. We have had them repolished before and they do come up nicely. Couple of hundred should see it repolished if needed.

mine is like you say a good clean would help it, it probably doesnt need a polish

Definitely needs a shower to rent out. But apart from the colour it looks to be in pretty good condition. No, excellent condition.

However because it's old (original?) it's likely that doing anything like drilling the wall to install the shower will make a huge mess, like tiles falling off. After which it'll need a full reno.

Will it rent as is? What difference to rent will a show add?

It might be possible to install a shower external to the wall without disturbing much might be the best option. By that I mean put a junction on the bath taps and run the pipes vertically, visible. Nice chromes ones might look original and period.

yes apart from the not my favorite colour choices its in very good condition

having a shower there would be more convenient might not add any rent but make it easier to rent, it does have a shower in the laundry

yes about 50 - 60 years old and original, i do have a plumber mate that could do it for me but that external idea sounds even better even though id like it all hidden away its going to be cheaper easier and less chance of a mess

I actually like it, don't even mind the colour, especially in a house that matches. You should be able to get a combination that joins in where the bath taps are and runs upwards to another set of taps and further up to a shower head. You will have to attach it to the wall somewhere up further.

You could have the bath resurfaced white, but I don't think it will make or break whether it is rented or not, whereas no shower will be a deal breaker for many.

haha sounds like your showing your age, it doesnt appeal to me at all
i agree i dont think having a blue bath would be a deal breaker to not rent it

Amazing- this is EXACTLY the same as my mother in law's bathroom in a 1950s house in Edwardstown, right down to the sink, tiles, trim tiles, towel rail, blue bathtub. I wonder if they had the same builder?!

Anyway, I have contemplated many times what to do to her bathroom, so here's what I think you should do to yours:
- Put in a shower head with shower over bath. Be careful not to damage pink tiles as they are difficult to find these days
- Put in a nice glass shower screen
- Paint ceiling and walls white, put in a 3 in 1 fan light combo, keep the ceiling vent if it's not in the middle of the room
- DO NOT paint the tiles, or the bath... it's very retro and very cute, it should be left the way it is and just made more functional for a modern setting.

Good luck!

vent is in middle with light coming through middle and its quite big so would need to be removed
im tossing up between a glass or curtain shower screen glass would be the go but curtain would be a cheaper easier option

Actually, if the bath is in good nick, I also wouldn't coat it. I just realised looking again that the bath and basin match, so don't change either, but you might be able to get something (CLR?) to get the brown water stain off the bath, without damaging it.

I agree that everything else should be crisp white to counter the bright colours.

yes its all good nick a good scrub should clean it up nicely

I'd leave it unless you are going to do a full reno. I love the floor. Tiles are a little bright but in such good nick it would be a shame to mess with them.

Just get a new vanity (with legs to get away from uneven floor) and new bath taps. I'd only do the shower if you can do the nice external chrome ones (as suggested). Otherwise you need to rip a wall off.

the house is stone so wouldnt be ripping a wall off as such
yeah im thinking along basically leaving it as is now and just giving it a good clean with a new mirror, lick of paint, external shower thing, 3 in 1 fan light and maybe even a new shaving cabinet
i know what i would like to do if i was doing a full reno
i was looking to just freshen it up but i can see it will blow out by doing a bit here and there and if i painted the wall tiles i would have to tile the floor and if i done that id have to put a new vanity in and then resurface the bath
otherwise things would look out of place

and by doing little as possible now i may be able to reno it later and not of wasted alot of money that i would be throwing away

You could have one of these fitted without having to remove the tiles for access http://www.reece.com.au/bathrooms/products/bastow-georgian-exposed-bath-shower-set, would save a lot of work.

Once that was in it's not hard to fit a screen and/or a shower curtain.

yep thats sounds good but wow $747!!

thanks all, have given me some good advice and now my mind is churning away with all these thoughts

I didn't look at the price :eek: but it still may be cheaper than opening up the wall to get the plumbing in if you were to go that way.

i talked to my plumber mate and he said for the cost of a shower breacher, taps and shower head and attachment we can do it
its stone so would only have to carve out a channel for the pipes and then mortar over it then tile over it
which would be well under the $750
and look neater aswell

has anyone done the inset shelf idea how would you line it before you tiled it? put some waterproofing on there or...?

haha sounds like your showing your age, it doesnt appeal to me at all

I'm only 51:confused:, but I do love this era of bathrooms. Our first PPOR bathroom was built in 1932 and had blue mottled tiles with lions head china bath spouts and rounded edge tiles. It was lovely, but we had no choice but to rip it out as somebody had botched up the installation of the toilet into the room and we needed to fix that botch job.

There is just something special about most things that came from the 1930s (except maybe the gansters :p).

For a external bath / shower combo, try demolition places. Should pick one up no problems and then get it chromed.

I dare say you will come out a lot less than $700 +. Depends on how much effort you want to put in. There are other options visit a plumbing supply place and check a few out.

I also agree why do major changes if theres are no issues.

Also if its nice stone work I would not be messing with it.

Brian

the issue is theres no shower in the bathroom and would need to use the laundry
it may not increase rent but would increase its appeal
that way they can shower over bath or shower in a proper one in the laundry

Personally, I am not a big fan of the pink tiles. I like the floor and the tub doesn't bother me. I think the vanity is fine and looks good. I could live with the color of the tiles but would definitely want a shower head in that bathroom if I was a renter.

thanks will be looking at putting a shower in there when time permits (still PPOR atm)
but trying to get it all sorted out so i can rent it out
5 doors painted but not hung

ok just been looking at it a bit more i dont actually use it at all i shower in the laundry where the shower is
its only my GF that uses that area as a bathroom and with her stuff the cabinet is full and theres a straightener and dryer hanging from everything
should i purchase a bigger cabinet? or a cheap vanity so theres a bit more storage for a family?

i have also noticed if i lightly tap the tiles in 1 area they sound hollow and it looks like the whole wall of tiles could fall off it had a good bump
maybe i should be doing the bathroom reno

Back