What would you do with your Time?

Following on from my previous post where would you live I thought it would be interesting to find out what you would do with your time if you you were financially independent?

For me

Currently I still enjoy renovating houses and while I find that interesting will keep on doing so, but am going to travel/ holiday in between each project. I could quite happily live by a beach and surf and travel when (if) I get bored. Spending time with my family is no. one priority. So when he's old enoguh to join nippers will be heavily involved in coaching etc.

Look forward to hearing from others

Darryl

Have you considered voluntery work.

There are organisations that will send you overseas to help communities 'Community aid abroad'

Perhaps further study or Tafe courses to help you 'hone' your renovation skills.

I was chatting to a taxi driver the other day about such things and he reckons he would be bored if he wasn't driving taxi's.

I don't think people think enough about worth while things they could be doing rather than making somebody else money.

Cheers

he might have 4 taxis ?
at 200K each ....

or then again he might be driving one for someone who has 4 taxis and paying him peanuts.

RPI
I've thought about it and will continue to think until I'm doing it.

Study is an option, always more stuff you want to do but have never had the skills or time.
Sport/Activity - surf, golf, bike ride, walk, hike, go to the gym, get involved with kids sport.
Travel - around australia and overseas.
Work - 6months of the year, either contracting or doing reno's or developments or anything that seems interesting.

Just building up a big list, waiting to start knocking them off.
Cheers
Quoll

Skiing
Windsurfing
Skiing
Time with Family
Sailing
Time with Family Skiing
Songwriting
More Skiing
Eating out at nice restaurants.
More Time with Family Skiing
Working out how windsurf on snow.
Eating out at nice restaurants while taking family skiing.

Ski Change (aka See Change )

RPI,

Good question - basically I'm living that life now...

Spend time with my partner.
Help at my kids' schools.
Spend time at parks/kid events.
Spend time working on my PPOR.
Spend time with friends/family (within the constraints of their work timetables)
Pursue my own projects - writing, product design, mentoring/coaching
Participate in more sports, particularly more of the extreme sports I enjoy :)
Travel lots (when kids older).

Take up contract work every now & then to meet new people & keep in touch with the corporate world.

Smell the roses occasionally!

And invest more :)

Longer-term will be doing more with charities as well - once kids are on their way.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

if you want to conbine property with charity work, try 'habitats for humanity'. chartiey organisations that builds homes for the poor and homeless.

Jas

I would help out at the kids school more. Also do more ski-ing, playing golf, goin to beach.
And if I got bored, would do maybe one reno per year while kids are at school (with my wife who loves painting more than I do!!).

I'll probably spend my time sketching, learning piano (again - finally!), joining classes, (learning & teaching), volunteering as a wildlife animal carer and bush walker. Will also probably make my home available for rent for weekends/holidays so I can meet new people and supplement my income.

This is after I've travelled a bit overseas because I haven't done much of that AND after I've jumped in a Winebago (or similar) with 2 friends and nicked off to explore Australia which I also haven't done enough of. This will take as long as we like but guessing at least a year as there will be no hurry!

Olly

3 Days a week doing my current full time job (coz it's challenging and really good fun getting payed to play with mud :) )

2 Days a week expanding my Investment Portfolio

2 Days a weed doing Music.

That will leave all of my evenings free to socialize, do charity and enjoy life, and I can always take some time off from the other activities when ever I choose.

So even though I'm not yet financially independent, I almost have my dream life already. Just need to shed a couple of days from work.

Well I think I'll keep up my part-time freelance web design business, coz I like playing with that sort of stuff!

I'd do lots more choral work - singing in choirs. Learn to sight-sing properly, and take lots of music and singing lessons. Might even try studying at the Con - for my own benefit only.

Do more volunteer work at Woodford Folk Festival, and for other organisations I'm interested in/connected with.

And I'd do heaps of travelling, spending times with friends who live elsewhere in this world.

That just for a starter ... :)

Hmmm...

Learn to fly!

Learn to buy nice places in other countries.

Have to agree with SC, skiing, snowboarding and snowblading would be up there too.

Michael

What we do with our time is travel and see this incredible country of ours. We are getting ready to leave on the second half of our around Australia trip - our home for the next 12 months will be a caravan and we stop wherever and when ever we like!! Our plans are to settle somewhere near the coast where we can lauch our boat and go fishing regularly. Hope to do some volunteer work, join some clubs, do some further study - have time with friends and family - maybe get a part time job for fun! Probably do some over seas travel, have some pets - the future is looking exciting!

Build a double story extension on our ppor

Plant a wicked tropical garden in the backyard that offers privacy and wind protection

Have another 5 kids (pending Mrs Mott's compliance)

Give my dad enough money so that he will retire

Stop drinking shitty coffee at home and go out for breakfast more often

Do an apprenticeship in carpentry

Teach kids that aren't suited to uni that not going doesn't mean they will be a failure

Write the book that has been in my head the last 5 years

Glenn

What to do with one's spare time.....

Have to admit, haven't given much thought to that part of the picture. Been trying to figure the path to get there that actually getting there hasn't been part of the plan.

But having said post has put some thoughts in motion. Guess part of me will probably still want to keep working. More than likely not full time, but at least part of the week. May not neccessarily be in my own business then, as finances should not be a problem...may even deign to go back into the public service :) Why continue working? Guess I enjoy the relationships I develop with the people around me. The chance to meet new people is exciting.

Rest of the time would probably be spent with family. The wife has been on my case about working too hard...so more time with her would most definitely be on the books. Travelling would be a must and catching up on the heaps of books that I buy but just can't seem to finish.

Finally, have to admit, I would have to dedicate part of my time to increasing my investments. Have to admit travelling the path towards financial independance is quite addictive....and I do enjoy monitoring my progress along that road and seeing the progress I am making :)

Sam

1. Buy a house/ small farm down the coast (with large backyard).
2. Get the guys from Convic to come and build me sweet clover bowl with different depths (4', 6' and 8')
3. Spend my time skating and drinking beer with me mates
4. Go surfing
5. Travel - so many places to go, so much time!
6. Develop a wonderful, lasting relationship
7. Continue to invest
8. Read, read, read!

Back