What's Kevin up to?

Of course there is a link it's just that State Labor in NSW (in particular) and Qld have themselves to blame for the majority of their woes. Same with the State Libs under Howard.

Granted, I'm not fully up to speed with all of the intricate state issues. I remember reading about some of the shenanigans in the NSW Labor party, they seemed to be going thru Ministers and Premiers like old socks at one stage. Not surprised they got turfed out.

Don't know much about Qld local issues ?? perhaps some Qld people could enlighten us. From afar, Anna Bligh seems like a really decent person - wish she was a Liberal. I put her in the same category as Stephen Smith. Top bloke, just batting for the red team instead of the blue one.

And I've said before I don't think Julia should have brought in a Carbon Tax after saying she wouldn't. All that angst would have been avoided if she just went for a floating price from the get go - then nobody could have called it a Carbon Tax. And it would have been the policy Howard had supported.

Yeah, this issue is just waaaaay too big to call it merely angst. She, or any other Labor leader that steps up next year at the election is going to get thumped. I honestly think it's so big it doesn't matter who leads the Labor party, nor who leads the Liberal party.

The public were lied to, voted on the info they were presented, and then quickly "switched and fooled". Most folks don't take too kindly to that type of treatment. It ain't gonna be pretty....and Labor know it.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill.

Ouch, can't argue with that. The level of both misinformation and pure ignorance on how things mechanically and realistically work on the aprt of the average working voter is simply astounding.

I'm not sure any of the elected politicians have ever clealry explained how difficult it is to get anything done in Parliament, when there are soooo many opposing forces to any movement whatsoever.

Don't be surprised to see a similar thing up in Qld in the coming weeks. Plenty of votes for the Greens, but not much in the way of seats.

yes you're right i should have specified maybe a couple of lower house seats and a few more senate ones.

Bligh is very unpopular, even with hardcore labor voters. i wonder if QLD's optional preferential system might deliver more green seats than would be case in the federal preference system???

yes you're right i should have specified maybe a couple of lower house seats and a few more senate ones.

Bligh is very unpopular, even with hardcore labor voters. i wonder if QLD's optional preferential system might deliver more green seats than would be case in the federal preference system???

Hi Ed,

Why is she so unpopular? Is it a 'too long in power' thing, or is there more to it?

Hi Ed,

Why is she so unpopular? Is it a 'too long in power' thing, or is there more to it?

I also believe many Queenslanders didn't like that she was "given" the job by Beattie. Many feel they didn't vote for her. Sounds vaguely familiar :D

And on this current fiasco... I'm totally over polly-speak. I'll vote for the first politician who will actually ANSWER the question asked. I'm sick of most of them thinking they are fooling us when a question is asked and they give their own spiel that doesn't address the question asked in any way. I know that is not a new problem, but I'm just over it. Peter Garrett was doing it the other night. I wanted to reach into the TV and shake him. Do they think we are stupid?

At least Laurie Oaks pulled Rudd up on it, and the 60 minutes interview with Julia did the same. They still didn't answer, but being asked over and over to answer the question at least made them both look bad.

.............. I'll vote for the first politician who will actually ANSWER the question asked. I'm sick of most of them thinking they are fooling us when a question is asked and they give their own spiel that doesn't address the question asked in any way. I know that is not a new problem, but I'm just over it. Peter Garrett was doing it the other night. I wanted to reach into the TV and shake him. Do they think we are stupid?

At least Laurie Oaks pulled Rudd up on it, and the 60 minutes interview with Julia did the same. They still didn't answer, but being asked over and over to answer the question at least made them both look bad.

Wot? Wot? Wot? What's happened here Wylie? A specific question you refer to or you mean general?
Have I missed something? Not able to catch any tv on this..

Gillard Thumps Rudd

73-29 to Gillard. Resounding victory! (Unconfirmed by Sky).

A strong statement by the caucus, "Its Gillard or bust"

Edit @ 11.26: 71-31 confirmed - still emphatic

Last edited:
I'd think the future of labor would be with Stephen Smith or Bill Shorten.

Julia is just not popular and Rudd seems to have a mental problem.

I'm happy that Julia won. While I don't like their politics, I can see how tough she is. She is obviously liked by her collegues and is able to be a real leader, unlike Rudd. Kevin Rudd to me was unbearable. I couldn't stand him at any time speaking on the TV. I hope he disappears and is never seen again.

See ya's.

Hi guys,

Also happier that Gillard won.

In my mere opinion Rudd has proven a point to the Labor Party that even though the Caucus (which he knew) does not support him....the polls have told a different story. His point is this:

Public Opinion is that he is a better leader than Gillard...(Which in my mere opinion- he is definately not!)

Rudd has bigger apples in his eyes. The next Federal Election and his ego to appease.

However, his ego is so astronomical....he lives in la la land and is actually like the Emporer with No Clothes...with the streets of Queensland as his realm.

Gillard doesn't present well, she has the CO2 tax, Pink Bats..ra ra ra...hanging around her neck like a ball and chain.......the problem has ultimately been...that she has Bob Brown and the INdependants to deal with. She has not been "able" to Govern the country, without their yay or nay...and this is all proof that a minority Government is a useless situation...that should not have happened.

Agree, TC, she is one tough woman.

My "pick" is Bill Shorten for the next election.

I'm looking forward to Q&A tonight.;)

Regards,

JO

Hi Pete,

I think you're confusing the events of the '07 election and the '10 election.

In the '07 election when Howard lost the seat of Bennelong to McKew the coalition got thumped in the lower house, with Labor winning 88 seats, more than enough to form Government, min of 76 required.

The hung parliament we have now of 72 seats a piece for both major parties is totally different.

DOH! Your right. Seriously down with the flu the moment so please excuse my drug induced error:eek:

Peter

Or well you can only try,but depending what happens when the sideshow opens this afternoon,Abbot will try the no-confidence vote,that's will go nowhere,Gillard will think she's the iorn lady,and within 14 weeks once the polls tells her again,then the sideshow will happen all over again,back to working on my new red truck..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_of_no_confidence

Hi willair,

My very far fetched hope has always been that Andrew Wilkie will see the light and cross the floor. I always thought Windsor had more sense but I've been proven wrong on that account too.

Regards,

Jo

I too prefer Gillard over Rudd but their policies are the same so it's not much comfort.

BTW, today's Newspoll shows:

the Coalition’s two-party preferred lead has narrowed since a fortnight ago from 55-45 to 53-47, with Labor’s primary vote up three to 35 per cent (their best result since March last year) and the Coalition’s down one to 45 per cent. However, the script has been followed with respect to Julia Gillard, whose approval rating has plunged six points to 26 per cent while her disapproval rating is up seven to 64 per cent. However, Tony Abbott too has taken a bit hit, down five points on approval to a new low of 31 per cent and up five on disapproval to 57 per cent. Preferred prime minister is little changed, with Abbott’s lead down from 40-37 to 38-36.

Nielsen and Galaxy show similar results. Sure Julia is down but so is Tony in a big way. This in the middle of the biggest free kick over the last week to have ever been given the Liberal party since I can remember. What gives? If this is what happens when Labor has torn itself to shreds, what would happen if they actually get their act together over the next 18 months? If Tony can't do something about these numbers and soon then he deserves some big questions...

Hi Hi Equity,

It's a shame but the general public vote for the person. Unfortunately, Abbott doesn't "present" well either with his stutters and non-answers.

I am though, very dubious about believing the recent polls on anything. I think the shiny Rudd has done a great job in rallying QLD'rs as did his family in a range of groups. I wuld love to see where most of the votes came from and from what age groups.

Perhaps I'm too skeptical.

I think an election right now would wipe he and Gillard clean from the slate.

The policies have to be the same because the Greens and Independants are running the country...no matter who the leader of the Labor Party is.:mad:

Regards JO

Hi willair,

My very far fetched hope has always been that Andrew Wilkie will see the light and cross the floor. I always thought Windsor had more sense but I've been proven wrong on that account too.

Regards,

Jo
May well just come down too the unknown fear factor i was a red head once,but i know one item the baseball bats are out for Labor in Qld,no matter how many will tell different even in the front bar,and as history tells in Qld Labor is in for a serious bloodbath in Qld..Can DO all the way..

Last edited:

Hi Jo,

I think Abbott has played it poorly with the independents. He went on the attack after the independents sided with Labor, confirming (to Windsor and Oakeshott) that they made the right choice.

He could have sat back and waited for things to blow up, rather than trying to force the situation. His behaviour hardened the resolve of Windsor in particular.

And seeing as politicians can be stubborn buggers, the chance of one of the independents saying, "I made a mistake" is unlikely to happen.

Back