What's the dodgiest industry ?

Anyone in any industry that "overservices" eg roofing plumbers, termite inspectors, dentists, car mechanics and the list goes on and on.

Overservicing is the biggest rort going in my opinion.

My wife was working at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Beverly Hills two years ago at the time when one of their leading surgeons, and a coupla others, were given 10 years' jail for ordering unnecessary colonoscopy procedures left right and centre on their patients - overservicing. :eek:

Goanna, is it G__freys and Wer____m?

I reckon the "gaming" industry is pretty crook.. The tricks that they play to prey on the vulnerable comes pretty close to the lows of the RE industry ;) How gambling is classed as entertainment, I'll never know.

I like your detective work.:D Personal expereince?

My wife was working at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Beverly Hills two years ago at the time when one of their leading surgeons, and a coupla others, were given 10 years' jail for ordering unnecessary colonoscopy procedures left right and centre on their patients - overservicing. :eek:

I can understand the colonoscopy procedures in the centre, but a bit confused about a colonoscopy on the left and right of their patients :p:D.

When PCs first started reaching the mass market, our favorite joke was:

Q. What's the difference between a Used car Salesman and a PC Salesman ?
A. A Used Car Salesman knows when he's lying.

Anything to do with the Law

especially ;

Real estate Law
Family Law

I especially love the $ 100.00 charged per 6 minute time block so they can ;

1. Peruse emails.
2. Converse with learned colleagues.
3. Play letter tennis, sprinkling the obligatory "we disagree", "we deny" throughout.

Anyone that charges that rate with a straight face to argue and nit-pick for YEARS needs a bullet.

Anyone that can tear a family apart in 10 minutes, and 2 years later along with their colleague / opponent, walk away with 95% of a couples wealth and smile needs a bullet.

However, every parent loves to say "Oh we are so proud of our little Johnny / Jenny, they are just about to graduate with Law you know."

What's the end of the line - judges - anyone happy with what they are doing and the decisions they are handing down needs to get a grip. They are way way way out of touch.

As an industry - politics.

As a group - politicians.

I am not saying there aren't some genuine ones out there, but I think there's alot who would sell their own mother if they thought it would advance them personally.

I wonder what profession makes up the vast majority of politicians, on both sides of politics ??

There's a very crude adult oriented joke that involves sodomy and how you can in fact get pregnant - after all, that's where lawyers come from.

hi all
well for me there is a group that may well get this post deleted.
and thats the brokers
there are thre types
the caveat or cash brokers 4 and 5% per months this group is a s dodgy as they come
with a car dealer you have a chance of getting the car with these guys your have not only no guartee of getting anything you pay 10 or 15k up front and then have to try and find them and ususally have no regulation at all as they are seen as funders

next is the commercial brokers now these guys are even more shonkyer( if thats a word)
the deals are bigger money so they have alot more iffy people in this group.
and they take biggger commissions( I added a g as they are big) so to give you some sort of mental vision its like trying get across 10 lane on the sydney harbour bridge on a pogo stick in peak hour and not get hit by a bus.
then you get to the resi brokers
now these guys live with there mother or dad come to your house and the nearest they have been to a loan is the book they were given in training.
last week they work at taronga zoo but saw an add in the paper.
and these guys are very switched on
they have been to a coarse so they know their stuff and been to a couple of real estate seminars ( by the guys above )
and they want you loan
now you tell me which is the shonkyiest
oh and yes I work in one of the above.

Hiya Gross

As for the last lot.........the resi brokers, Im glad I feel that by your definition I dont fall into the shonky group today, since I have a wee bit of experience, as do almost all the broker boys and girls here.

A lack of experience does not neccesarily shonky make.............and vica versa.

Anyone in any industry does need a start somewhere, much would depend on how the notebook Jockey is mentored.

ta
rolf

hi rolf
very true
but any industry has its shonks
the trouble with your industry and for that matter mine is that this industry is not only dealing with money but its dealing with people that think you know what you are doing. now this is not say you dont
but a hell of alot don't not only that but half would do better going back to selling water,working at kmart or even flipping burgers at mackers.
for me there is no other area thats has so many shonks.
I swim in this area
why
because I like to swim with sharks and there is a very big difference between a shark and a shonk
a shark cuts a deal and moves on.
a shonk takes the money and has no idea of how to do the deal in the first place.
a shark is a preditor and does not go after anything that it can't achieve.
a shonk is a person that tries to be a shark but has no idea and has only one way grab and run
a shark will get referals and will be asked to assist for people he or she has assisted
a shonk will never get any referals and if anything will get the opposite
I maybe wrong here but for me I work in the dodgiest market and its for me the best market because I enjoy it
but dodgy some of the people if they stand sidewards they blend in with the brickwork they are that dodgy

I think by definition all commission based industries have serious problems. Sort of a conflict of interest between what's best for the punter and whats best for the receiver of the commission (broker/agent/etc).

Not saying all within each industry but a high percentage.

And as for financial planners, they are pretty much just sales people for funds. Which they receive their commission for each sale. Its a dead set joke and most of them have less true financial knowledge then 99% of this forum.

The worse part is they are not accountable if that persons money (read life savings, retirement money, divorce settlement) goes down the gurgler in the process. I know a FP and seen this happen a few times. Unbelievably cynical industry.

Last edited:
Any kind of tradesmen, medical merchants/pharmacuetical company salespersons aka doctors, pathology, politicians("work study tour with the spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend/family - first class expenses paid" !), you name it. There should be a national ICAC to clean up all the s$$$ that going on in this country.

especially ;

Real estate Law
Family Law

I especially love the $ 100.00 charged per 6 minute time block so they can ;

1. Peruse emails.
2. Converse with learned colleagues.
3. Play letter tennis, sprinkling the obligatory "we disagree", "we deny" throughout.

Anyone that charges that rate with a straight face to argue and nit-pick for YEARS needs a bullet.

Anyone that can tear a family apart in 10 minutes, and 2 years later along with their colleague / opponent, walk away with 95% of a couples wealth and smile needs a bullet.

However, every parent loves to say "Oh we are so proud of our little Johnny / Jenny, they are just about to graduate with Law you know."

What's the end of the line - judges - anyone happy with what they are doing and the decisions they are handing down needs to get a grip. They are way way way out of touch.

Have to agree with all of this. When Johnny/Jenny becomes a high class prostitute we don't hear the parents clapping but where is the difference?

Back