What's the funniest/worst excuse you've heard for NOT investing from people?

What about the one that a lot of curtain and blinds people have:
"CAUTION: Blind man driving"

(not sure what this has to do with the topic though...):confused:

I just bought a place, and the girls at work couldn’t get over it.

“Why are you wasting your youth (I’m 22), now you’ll be stuck with a mortgage for the rest of your life!”

I politely declined to take advice from a bunch of 30+yo women who rent and live at home (really), and spend 300% of their annual income on clothes/makeup/cocktails.

The funniest excuse Ive heard is from a bloke who said he sold his investment property because he got sick of getting the council rates in his mail box!

Thanks! A little bit of arrogance goes a long way.

Mark

I agree. A bit of arrogance is good. It allows you to do things even though other people (in their limited understanding) don't think is a good idea. The best balance is of course confidence without arrogance but if you're talking about arrogance vs lack of confidence.... I'll take arrogance.
Alex

i've been called "condescending". does that mean i don't suffer fools and laziness?

yep - guess i am condescending.

"Oh its easy for you, you both work and don't have kids"

"When I earn a bit more money i'll be able to invest"

"Money just doesn't interest me" (material possessions seem to though)"

"I want to enjoy life when I'm young I'll invest when i'm closer to retirement" (at 29 and 33 we like to think we are close to retirement :D )

Jase

"Oh its easy for you, you both work and don't have kids"

"When I earn a bit more money i'll be able to invest"

"Money just doesn't interest me" (material possessions seem to though)"

"I want to enjoy life when I'm young I'll invest when i'm closer to retirement" (at 29 and 33 we like to think we are close to retirement :D )

Jase

Hi Jase,

Funny, I have heard almost verbatim comments.
Maybe we hang we the same crowd or know similarly inclined people? :)

A lot comes down to taking personal responsibility for our own financial future and a significant proportion of the population are clearly unwilling.

Scott.

I've let my parents know that I don't expect any inheritance whatsoever from them and that they should enjoy the fruits of their labour, rather than worrying about leaving it to any of us five offspring. Must be taking my advice seriously, as they are off on an 8 week European trip this year and have been eating out a lot lately at some pretty swish places :eek:
I've also told them about reverse mortgages and hope that they never go without simply to ensure we each get the "inheritance". We all are masters of our own destiny. Long live financial independence!!!! :)

I agree. Am totally okay with the SKIN's philosophy. Why on earth should parents go without in their old age just to be able to leave an inheritance to their adult kids. We should ALL make or break on our own. If we do well then we can look forward to a great retirement ALL the more enjoyable because we've achieved it on our own. I, too, have heard that excuse for not investing in property "But we'll inherit Mum & Dad's house when they die"!!
I hope the parents of those people live (comfortably) to be 110!!:D

Crazylikeafox....are you joking?:)
Hope he is, Sailor. It seems to me though, that many 18yr old students are the arrogant ones. You know the funny sign around that goes something like this "Teenagers, sick & tired of your stupid parents harassing you (or you could say, elders advising you)? Well, get out, get a job & start paying your own bills while you STILL KNOW EVERYTHING!"

"Why should I invest in a brand new property and let someone who cant afford to buy a house live in it while I live in an old house?"

Past Client

OK, not totally related but I just couldnt resist.

Neighbour of my Dads came to visit him the other day and she was telling him that she had inherited her brothers entire estate...not that she needed the money BTW. She was telling dad that she tried to off load some cash to her daughter but she wouldnt take it because she would have to pay too much tax..LOL. The neighbour was quite upset that she had too much money and couldnt even give it away.

How funny is that...is it possible to have too much money?

Mrs Bird:)

"We want to buy an investment property but won't go into debt to do it" That's a classic...if you aren't prepared to take on some risk you can't expect any sort of reward.

"[property forecaster xxxxxx] is saying the Sydney property market will probably fall after the Olympics"

From the operator of a very successful business who has a a large taxable personal income and correspondingly large income tax bill "Buying more than one house is just greed. My business partner keeps buying more houses...I think he has some sort of psychological illness"

Ajax

Last edited:
Regarding a previous post outlining how lucky we all are....

We are "lucky" enough to be

- up a ladder painting a ceiling on boxing day - pretty hot up near the ceiling
- laying turf in the back yard of a 906sq m block in the sun (having to move it to allow a truck to get past the pile of turf, and LOL, having to move it again to let him get back out
- scraping 15 years of cigarette smoke off the walls before we are lucky enough to be able to paint them
- cleaning up after feral tenants left enough trash to fill a skip
- able to have painted, renovated etc 30 houses in 30 years (not all ours, some more than once).

How "lucky" we are.

People who say we are "lucky" just make me laugh. We have worked bloody hard for a long time to get where we are today. I actually think we could be a lot further ahead, but that is lifestyle choice, me not wanting to "work" at a job.

Luck has absolutely nothing to do with it. I drove a crappy old car with a heater that would not turn off - great in winter but not so good in a Brisbane summer. My friends were tripping off overseas and buying new cars every couple of years. I wanted to buy houses. Each to their own.

Interestingly, one friend who bought new cars regularly now has a few IPs. She will be 50 next birthday so got her travel and cars out of her system before dipping her toe into IPs. The biggest difference is that she has no children, which makes a huge difference to expenses - two people making good money.

We found children cost more and more as they get older, but that is not news to anyone.

Wylie

Back