What's the scarcest resource for an investor?

Which investment resource is scarcest for you?

• Money

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • Ideas

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • People

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Time

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • Materials

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Knowledge

Votes: 10 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Steve Navra said:
Okay first offer: How much for 10 years of your life?? :p
Depends on which ten you want...

The first 10 - $20,000,000
The second 10 - $2
The third 10 - $100,000,000

I'll let you know about the next ten once I've finished with it myself :D

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Knowledge received my vote.

My thoughts below.

The nature of investing is using funds; so money will always be scarce for an investor (until they reach their goals). If an investor instantly had twice as much money then they'd find ways to invest it and again be limited by money. One always has to work with the funds available. Money is truly scarce when one begins; after that it is not so much scarce but 100% utilised - so I think it is not really scarce.

Ideas - I can't imagine a shortage of ideas. There are many ways to invest. It might be scarce for a novice investor.

People - I don't understand a scarcity of people resources. There are umpteen people resources.

Time is clearly finite for an investor. It might be scarce for investors who have limited time - say a 65 old who decides to start investing for retirement. But I don't see time as a scarce resource because it is a known resource and one can plan around it. A little bit like my comments about money, one always has to work with the time available. Plainly this could be scarcest for some, but not me.

Materials are abundment, for me, and should be for most investors too.

Knowledge is the one for me. Saying money or time are scarcest, for me, would be using them as excuses. What limits me is knowledge of the best way forward.

cheers,

Aceyducey said:

The second 10 - $2

I'll let you know about the next ten once I've finished with it myself :D

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi Acey,

Surely all the "Firsts" (eg. first car, first girl/guy etc) must be worth more than the $2 you have attributed. :)

Regards,

Kenny

Kenny said:
Surely all the "Firsts" (eg. first car, first girl/guy etc) must be worth more than the $2 you have attributed. :)
They were all in the first 10 years - I was an early starter ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
They were all in the first 10 years - I was an early starter ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi Acey,

OK then, I'll buy those 10 years for $2. Barely used and still in original packaging I assume.

Can you do vendor financing? :D

Regards,

Kenny

Aceyducey said:

The second 10 - $2
For sale. One set of untarnished principals. Going cheap to the highest bidder :D

geoffw said:
For sale. One set of untarnished principals. Going cheap to the highest bidder :D

Pricipals as in 'Principal" of a school??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

They wouldn't be worth much would they?? (Well not my ex principals)

Untarnished . . . well we should all certainly hope so :p (We entrust our children to these people :eek: )

Now GeoffW if it is your (or Acey's)PRINCIPLES for sale, then why are they going so cheap, or is there something you're not telling us :D

Regards,

Steve

It's about time you caught one of my mistakes Steve.

It was Acey who started selling his life off cheap :D

And the principals were the CEOs of Financial Advisory Service companies ;)

I went for time, and then read the follow up posts.

It occured to me that with my (just) new work arrangement, where I only work Monday to Thursday - I should stop drinking beer on a Friday, thinking it's a long weekend (like every weekend) and sit on - sharescene or something to day trade - for more beer money.

Cheers
J

:p

I'm a four day weeker however the problem I'm faced with is whether to accepth a 'promotion' that will give me more $$$ with less time (eg. five day week) or stay put. Excluding such things as job satisfaction it is very much a case of determining your highest priority. (time or money)

I voted time!

If I calculate out my portfolio, compounding, over the next 15 years or so, it's obvious to me how PRECIOUS time really is :p . (And a very interesting exercise if you haven't done it recently!!)

On the other hand, in terms of building that portfolio, I think that Rolf has it - COURAGE.

Cheers, Medine.

Time

Time
Medine said:
I voted time!

If I calculate out my portfolio, compounding, over the next 15 years or so, it's obvious to me how PRECIOUS time really is :p . (And a very interesting exercise if you haven't done it recently!!)

On the other hand, in terms of building that portfolio, I think that Rolf has it - COURAGE.

Cheers, Medine.
I agree.. Once you have your yearly living expenses covered in income from investments, then it's just a case of sitting back and watching your capital compound to infinity (in theory). Compound interest is truly a wonder, I like telling kids the story of the chessboard and the grain of rice....

Maybe it's good I can't service another loan quite yet. Gives me time to keep learning and researching.

(despite the fact that I wish I could build faster)

:D

Am on the path to increasing my cashflow. Interviewing for new positions at the mo. Hopefully will give a boost to my ppor repayments so I can get going....

This was a very good thread and I need to chime in. Hehe.

If you become 20 years old again as of this year, how would you start your career as a IP investor? Meaning, what books would you start off and/or what method to get a head start?

I'm in this shoe right now.

iKwak,

If you become 20 years old again as of this year, how would you start your career as a IP investor? Meaning, what books would you start off and/or what method to get a head start?

Iikwak,
if i was 20 again?.
take a week of work, spend everyday reading whats inside
this investment forum,if something like this was around 20 years ago
then i do think that things would be different, but for me i would
rather have made all the mistakes,failures,the cheques in the mail,
stories,because after a while you will discover your own personal
attitude to any investment risk, and learn to say no and walk away.
good luck
willair..

good luck
willair.

Back