What's Your Day Job (if any)?

My current career is as a Compliance Manager for a large international private training and education provider. I love what I do. When I get bored I change jobs, roles etc. Im pretty dynamic and get bored easy so when its not fun or im not learning anything new i change jobs.
Next nutty goals: In 3 years time to either run motels/small businesses then perhaps buy one or go drive dump trucks on mine sites for a disgusting amount of cash, or both depending on timing and where I'm at.
And yes all the time socking the surplus away into property as an investment class.
Property investment provides financial security I guess but to me if one is hoping to quit the 'day job' i wonder why do a job that makes one miserable? I have fun and enjoy the journey.

One has to work away at whatever it is they choose to employ their life in the pursuit of.
To me its a holistic approach and all about enjoying the journey. I'm having fun!

I have been inspired by the stories but are you all millionaires by day or clerks? Im an inhouse counsel at an iconic Australian company
I have several unpaid jobs as a Home-Dad,have done for the past 7 years prior to that i was a plumber,i do all the house work,cooking washing,school dropoff pickups and everything else to run a household,and I love every second..

As far as the million dollar baby part of things,that has no importance at all to me a million is not what it use to be and we hit those levels 8 years ago through resi-property,and the ASX took us to the next level..willair..

I only work 2 days a week as a sporting administrator to a sister sport to the one that I am involved in out of hours.

I quit school in Year 10, bumped around for a few years, joined a couple of crews, got nicked and a criminal record, and now that I've found property investing, my cleaning job with a local contracting firm doesn't seem so quite degrading. Any relevance?

HI there
I am one of the lawyers that shield accountants from bad jokes - and I also work as a costs consultant - so I help people where there is a dispute about legal costs - I am also a Mum which is one of the hardest jobs in the world in my opinion - particularly with teenage girls.
thanks

So how did that work;

1. does the rent from your boom properties more than cover the outgoings by enough to live off, or
2. did you sell the properties and are now living off the cap growth, or
3. are you living off the equity you achieved, and if so, how did you get around the servicability issues that would come with increasing the useable equity level in the profolio in order to get access to it,
4. other.

Hi LA

Partner's Engineering/Manufacturing business - by increasing turnover (thanks to the resource boom), I receive a salary which more than covers my old day job. I don't work in the business, however continue to invest in property/shares.

Sold 1 IP which was a lemon.
As for the rest of our properties, some are now neutral/positively geared while others are managed via our LOC. We are 48% LVR and have large amount of equity to cover quite a number of years if necessary, while continuing to purchase property/shares.

Main concern is always managing cashflow.
We use excess funds from business as Directors fees and this helps to offset shortfalls, but we still need LOC.

The next step will be selling the business.

Cheers, MTR

Grain grower.

Never plan on retiring, just slowing up a bit. By the time I'm 60 though, all the machinery will probably just drive itself anyway, so what will I do then?

See ya's.

I manage a team of IT support techs.

*pictures Homer Simpson at his new job at Cypress Creek*

Homer: Um, are you guys working?
Employee: Yes, sir.
Homer: Can you . . . work any harder?
Employee: Sure thing, boss!

lol... sorry about that

as for me i manage a plumbing maintenance company, although i spend half my day browsing somersoft and various forums so you could classify me as manager/self-educating bludger :p

I'm an acting principal in 2008....can't wait!!! Hmm..I think retirement (ie. managing my IP portfolio) is, realistically, 20 years away...:)

*pictures Homer Simpson at his new job at Cypress Creek*

Homer: Um, are you guys working?
Employee: Yes, sir.
Homer: Can you . . . work any harder?
Employee: Sure thing, boss!

lol... sorry about that

Hee hee... yeah it might be a bit like that! :D

Actually, it took me a manager change to figure out what it was I was really meant to be doing.

Until this point, I had been handing out tasks to the staff, redirecting queries, and when everyone was busy, taking on some of the work myself.

Then this new manager walks in, and tells me: "You're job is to coach and mentor the team".

I initially thought this was a bit strange - considering my manager and myself have far less technical skills than my staff.

My manager told me that a coach does not have to be as good a player as the one they are coaching - merely able to see areas for improvement - not just in their areas of work, but in their overall career and personal development.

I'm enjoying this "new" role so much that I haven't even got the chance to look at somersoft during the day anymore!! :p I get myself out there with the team members, sit down, talk to them, see what the lie of the land is, feed back to them what us managers are hearing etc.

So yes, I turn up to work, chat and socialize and get paid for it! :D

Cheers,

The Y-man

I manage to annoy my wife and son all day (and all you lot).

Seriously; at the moment, having a great 2.5 year holiday in the USA.

The minister for war is the breadwinner by her own request while we are here, and I play Mr.Mom.

But currently working on buying a business near home back in Dromana for when we get back so I've got something to do, and some extra cashflow.

Having run a business for most of the adult life, I couldn't ever work for wages and a boss again, plus the financial benefits of owning a business kill p.a.y.e.

compared to the medic on an oil rig in the jungle I have a very boring job. I a engineer working for a global telecommunication company. Would love to just manage IP's however at this stage (holding 2 IP's) i wont be very busy at all.

Whats Your Day Job?

I'm a communicator in the Aust Army,
would like to here about the rigs though, i have considered giving it a go for the cash of coarse.

I'm a Manager at a very large Timber and Hardware business.

And it has just occured to me, why aren't i doing more towards developments......

I know a good place to get cheap Timber and Hardware and a great place to find sub-contractors, we service a lot of great builders.........:rolleyes:

Cheers,

GG

I was working as the Corporate Finance Manager for a very large mining company... but have resigned to relocate to Brisbane...Now looking at starting own consultancy firm in Sport & Recreation Business Management and possibly...dare i say it Financial Planning!!!

OSS

Back