When answering the phone

Who peed in everybody's Cheerios? :rolleyes: Crumbs, it's called civility, and like Phil, I think we could use more of it.

So what if it's pointless? "Please" and "thank you" don't really add anything, either, except to show that you have good manners. If somebody asks how you are, they're trying to demonstrate friendliness. :D

I agree... Doesnt cost much to show a wee bit of friendliness and courtesy.

Getting stuck into people because they said.."how are you".. is sort of beyond me.

Harris

If somebody asks how you are, they're trying to demonstrate friendliness. :D

If someone I don't know rings me up and says; "how are you?" they are initiating a sales pitch by trying to appeal to my better nature by being friendly.

They may well be sincere. But not usually; they are really only trying to separate me from my money, and I didn't even invite them into my home.

Sorry to scratch the rose colored glasses Trace.

I'm not rude to them, but I'm not friendly either. I used to try to be nice and politely say no thanks, but they don't get the early hint.

If someone I know rings me and says 'how are you" - different story.

This is a greeting and I always say "fine thanks"; because no one actually wants to hear 'how you are'.

Nothing worse than asking someone how they are, and they then proceed to tell you in mind-numbing detail.

The oldies are the best at this; never ask them "how are you?" unless you are not in a hurry to go anywhere.

I'm happy to reply "I'm good thanks", to my friends. But, I generally don't respond to THE questions, when asked by strangers...tis usually the telemarketers.

To them I usually ask "how can I help you?" When they come on with their speil, I tell them they have phoned a psychologist, and were they wanting to make an appointment to see me.

They usually end the phone call pretty quickly then!;)

Write injuries in dust,
But kindnesses in marble.

[Fr., Eerivez les injures sue le sable,
Mais les bienfaits sur le marbre.]

~~ Proverb, (French)

I love Canadians, very much...we rent to young Canadian travellers/workers, plus I meet other Canadians over at a National Park where they are doing Work Exchange Programs....(they want to know does the weather get much hotter than 30c in summer here...:p:) it was with a disbelief on their faces as I explained it can hit 47c for days at a time..)

A family member not long ago travelled Canada, she has acquired brain injuries and the Canadian people were so helpful, so kind, so courteous to her, thankyou Canada! for taking care of someone we love very much.

I have some dear friends on Vancouver Island, in Vancouver, Winnipeg! and Newmarket near Toronto. They are the sweetest, funniest and most talented people.

It maybe just me, but Canadians seem to have this great sense of humor, and I love speaking to them, adore their accents, their manners.

Also, even though it gets so cold Canada the country is absolutely breathtaking.

I'm not much on telephone chat, I'm not much of a smalltalk person, but I like to think I am polite. Telemarketers are of no concern, I just see them as people trying to earn a dollar, doing their job. Live and let live.

For me I believe this, it holds true how I feel about myself:

"Politeness is the art of choosing among one's real thoughts".

Abel Stevens

However, I am always reminded by this:

"So let us begin anew - remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Who peed in everybody's Cheerios? :rolleyes: Crumbs, it's called civility, and like Phil, I think we could use more of it.

So what if it's pointless? "Please" and "thank you" don't really add anything, either, except to show that you have good manners. If somebody asks how you are, they're trying to demonstrate friendliness. :D

For me it depends on what frame they are coming from. Nothing technically wrong with the words, so to speak. I think it's nice.

However, if they are 'trying for rapport' (usually indicated by a rising tone at the end of the sentence) in an attempt to 'extract money', it's not genuine.

I think that the key here is how genuine the comment is.

Sales people will always try to build a relationship with a prospective client and they may even believe that they really do care what the prospect replies but it is usually just a way of getting the prospect in an agreeable frame of mind.

My business partner annoys the crap out of me because his phone calls alyas go like this.

Phone rings, other person sees its him calling and answers the phone with "gday mate how are you?" and he says "good, whats happening?"

He never asks the person how they are going and even though he doesnt realize it he puts everyone on the back foot straight away by asking them "whats happening?" which can be interpreted in many ways depending on the state of mind that the person hearing it is in.

I beat him to it these days because when I see its him calling I answer the phone with "gday mate, whats happening?" and then he has to start the conversation with explaining what he is doing and be the one on the back foot first. Its pathetic I know but it just gives him a bit of his own medicine and might make him think eventually about being a bit more polite to people on the phone.

God help us if basic human decency and politeness goes out the window just because we are busy, or we dont know the person we are talking to.

Do you think that good manners only apply to people you know and to hell with everyone else?

Insincerity is bad but it can really help the whole morale of a work place if everyone was positive about their day. It is a great thing to do for your own mental health as well as that of others around you to keep up the positive talk.

There is nothing worse that asking someone how they are and then have them give you this big run down of all the reasons they are having a crap day!

Geez get over it and stop beeing a dead beat I think to those people, your life could be WAY worse, dont sit there feeling hard done by, at least your still living and breathing and have a future ahead of you.

Inserting a positive reply to the question of how are you can be a great way of feeling good about your circumstance and help to lift the mood of the person you are talking to.

You are not lying by saying "yeh Im great, how are you?" or something like that because no matter how bad the day looks 99% of the time someone else in your situation may look at it in another way and say that it was good.

Its rude to think that you are too busy for basic human politeness and friendlyness and if I had anything to do with someone who was too up themselves to at least be polite I would avoid associating with them at all.

Sorry to scratch the rose colored glasses Trace.
No worries, my rose-tinted glasses are scratch-resistant, and buffed regularly. :D

I have to confess that my husband has paid me out for years about how much time I (used to) give to telemarketers. Like OO, I think that being a telemarketer would be a terrible job and all those poor Indians (with names like Sheila and Wayne :confused: ;)) are just trying to make a living.

But I have in the past 6 months steeled myself and now say in my most polite and friendly voice "I'm not interested, thank you", and hang up. I used to mess with the minds of those trying to sell me phone plans by asking if they can beat my engin VoIP call costs - but I've had enough amusement out of that. :p

How many more "free" mobile phones, "free" holidays, or "free" financial assessments can I possibly win?

I have strong views on telephone etiquette.
I think it is highly inappropriate for someone to call and not introduce themselves immediately.

Right Way:

bling bling (asian phone) :)

Me:
hello
(I only say hello when on private number, but add my name if at work. I used to say who I was on my private number but since the higher number of telemarketing calls, I don't think it is important)

Them:
Hello, this is Suzie Wong from Wong's Widgets. I wanted to speak with Winston Wolfe.

Me:
Yes, this is Winston.

Wrong Way:

bling bling

Me:
Hello

Them:
Hello, how are you?

Me:
Who's speaking please?

I have strong views on telephone etiquette.
I think it is highly inappropriate for someone to call and not introduce themselves immediately.
Hello, this is Suzie Wong from Wong's Widgets. I wanted to speak with Winston Wolfe.
I couldn't agree more, WW. [Though I'd prefer the second sentence be "May I please speak with Winston Wolfe?" if I were being picky ;)] What's up with not introducing yourself?

I think that all parents should teach their children how to answer the phone, introduce themselves and shake hands, look people in the eye when speaking to them, and have common courtesy (please, thank you). I'm not talking automoton stuff, but basic people and life skills. I know it takes kids time to learn the confidence to do these well, but when I see young adults without these skills I can't help but think "where have your parents been? didn't they teach you better than that?".

But perhaps I'm getting old :eek:

Like OO, I think that being a telemarketer would be a terrible job and all those poor Indians (with names like Sheila and Wayne :confused: ;)) are just trying to make a living.

Care factor.

No one forces them to do it, and the fact that the call is coming from Mars or wherever, and not Australia, makes it even less care factor.

reminds me....next time I get an Indian sounding telemarketer, I must say

"can you just wait one moment please....I am half way through slaughtering a cow".........sounds of painful moo-ing in background.....

yeah I know.....black tasteless humour.....

Many of the calls Rob receives are people answering our ad for an apartment rental.(we self manage)
We never receive telemarketers on our mobile.

Thank you WW
Lady love doesnt believe there is a difference twixt the house phone and the office phone.
I much prefer people who speak on the phone the 'right' way.
It is difficult to work out what the person on the other end of the phone wants, if they dont tell you.
Etiquette, civility, politeness all demand that simple courtesy

reminds me....next time I get an Indian sounding telemarketer, I must say

"can you just wait one moment please....I am half way through slaughtering a cow".........sounds of painful moo-ing in background.....

yeah I know.....black tasteless humour.....

A good one is to say to them "can you hold on a minute?", and then put the phone down with the line open, and go out for the day. ;)

when I was running my real estate agency I'd ring clients and always ask "how are you" at the start of the call. The response was always the same.."fine thanks, and you?"...From time to time I would throw it back to them by saying..."no, I meant...how are you, i'm really interested".

they'd love it and start going on about this that and the other. it is a great way to build up a relationship with a client.

If I'm on the receiving end though, I can't stand it but my standard response is "fine thanks, how can I help you?" so I am still being polite.

If it's a telemarketer I'm generally not polite

Back